By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U sales trend may be just as expected if we look at Nintendo's home console sales.

Did you expect Wii U's current sales trend?

Yes 127 45.85%

No 95 34.30%

Yo Mama 49 17.69%

Total:271

Wii U's sales are not the result of any kind of long term trend, they are the result of the incredibly poor handling of the Wii U itself, individually.

Around the Network

The Wii was a fluke

I expected some drop but not to this extent. I don't think this is part of any long-term trend either. Wii U was just poorly marketed from the start. Nintendo attempted to placate core gamers that seemingly moved away from the Wii in the later half of last gen and marketed it with core games in mind (e.g. Zombie U, Bayonetta 2, third party links). At the same time they tried to keep the casual market with the tablet-style controller, but neither strategy seems to have worked.

The controller is a solution looking for a problem resulting in Nintendo struggling to get a coherent marketing message to consumers.

cheshirescat said:
Ninricken said:
I would be interested in a comparison with Sega and their hardware. And then we maybe can see the future of Nintendo, too... even if I don't like that.

Isn't there enough doom on this forum already?

You are right. I read it so often that I know think the same way. I should get this out of my head! Nintendomination!

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

The reason Wii U is doing poorly compared to the GC is not due to this downward "trend", rather due to Nintendo's incompetence with launching the thing.

Around the Network

I was expecting Wii U to perform bad when they announced, the Gamepad seemed a very bad ideia to me. But after playing the console for the first time, I really enjoyed it overall and it has many good games already, so I think it will sell better than NGC (and maybe N64) if Nintendo advertise it properly from now on. In my opinion, with MK8 alone it can already surpass 20mi, because it is the game that will make more people play the console and see that its concept is not bad at all.

The "Wii U Pitch"-commercial inspired me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

Wii U's sales are worst even than Gamecube's. Gamecube was a great console and deserved more sales but Wii U is getting what deserves, let's see what they learn about this.

fps_d0minat0r said:
The Wii was a fluke

Not true.

Fluke implies luck.

Wii was not lucky; it was a premeditated, calculated success.

fps_d0minat0r said:
The Wii was a fluke

Yes. It was a one time thing and won't happen again.