By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U sales trend may be just as expected if we look at Nintendo's home console sales.

Did you expect Wii U's current sales trend?

Yes 127 45.85%

No 95 34.30%

Yo Mama 49 17.69%

Total:271
fps_d0minat0r said:
curl-6 said:

They calculated brilliantly with Wii, and badly with Wii U, simple as that.

Or maybe, they calculated both to be successful, but one exceeded expectations and one fell short of expectations.... because of luck?

If you look at the decisions they made, luck wasn't necessary; with Wii they made brilliant decisions, with the Wii U they made idiotic ones.

Around the Network

Saw the U and hated it. Then the media backed up my negativiy. Bought one after a year for a steal. Hest console and most fun console I have ever owned. But the truth is, no one is going to buy it because its confusing. I love the remote play, dual screen local multiplayer and awesome web browser ampng the more obvious features. Biggest problem? Nintendo turned away gamers with the wii and appealed to a new crowd. The new crowddont even understand what any of the above means.

The wii U migh catch on suddeny when the 100 million wiis start to break and the owners go to the store. or it may be too late by then.

MohammadBadir said:
"Let's just ignore the Wii because it doesn't fit right with my theory".

It does fit perfectly with my theory that it was a fluke.

fps_d0minat0r said:
The Wii was a fluke

One could ague that the success of the Playstation was fuelled by Nintendos fuck ups ;)

Personally I think it is a myth both the N64 and the GC properly competed with the Sony and Sega consoles. Both were screwed by terrible media decisions and were alone on the market on that.

But since the Wii U is also screwed by terrible decisions, though not necessarily media ones, it might fit right there. It's a weird and sad coincidence, really.

Around the Network
zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
The Wii was a fluke

One could ague that the success of the Playstation was fuelled by Nintendos fuck ups ;)

Yes you could.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Saw the U and hated it. Then the media backed up my negativiy. Bought one after a year for a steal. Hest console and most fun console I have ever owned. But the truth is, no one is going to buy it because its confusing. I love the remote play, dual screen local multiplayer and awesome web browser ampng the more obvious features. Biggest problem? Nintendo turned away gamers with the wii and appealed to a new crowd. The new crowddont even understand what any of the above means.

The wii U migh catch on suddeny when the 100 million wiis start to break and the owners go to the store. or it may be too late by then.

I agree with you on most points. Except for the bolded part. I would dare to bet that some 85-90% of those consoles are no longer even plugged into electricity, and therefore will never ever break. Or they might already be broken but the owners don't know and/or care about it.

zehh25 said:
I was expecting Wii U to perform bad when they announced, the Gamepad seemed a very bad ideia to me. But after playing the console for the first time, I really enjoyed it overall and it has many good games already, so I think it will sell better than NGC (and maybe N64) if Nintendo advertise it properly from now on. In my opinion, with MK8 alone it can already surpass 20mi, because it is the game that will make more people play the console and see that its concept is not bad at all.

its almst mathematically impossible to reach GC. N64 is out of the question. No ifs ands or buts about that. Logistically speaking Nintendo will never be able to produce enough from now till Wi Us end to match N64

MohammadBadir said:
"Let's just ignore the Wii because it doesn't fit right with my theory".

outliers get thrown out ofstatistics all the time. thats normal and really people who want to point to wii you are grasping 

RolStoppable said:
It's simple, really. Everytime Nintendo decides to fight over the existing market, their sales decline. That's because they turn off a good chunk of their audience in the process. The Wii only looks like the only anomaly, because the NES is the starting point. If the NES were in the middle, it would be an anomaly too. Both the NES and Wii were about making gaming more popular, so the hardware and software was designed accordingly. With the other four systems Nintendo didn't bother to ask how they can get more people to play video games. The most recent one, the Wii U, was all about winning third parties and the hardcore gamer back, i.e. the existing market (see E3 2011 reveal).

You can apply the same thing to the handheld market. Nintendo's sales kept rising as long as they didn't get into a fight with other companies and let them dictate how things are done. The GBA sold only 80m, but it did it in six years as opposed to the 120m of the GB/GBC in twelve years; and the DS did 150m in seven years. But then came the 3DS and Nintendo was all about going after the PSP market; suddenly it wasn't about making video games more popular, but getting a bigger chunk of the teenager demographic which was Nintendo's weakest point (and Sony's strongest). The irony is that while Nintendo succeeded at taking notable chunks of Sony's market (Monster Hunter exclusivity being an important piece of the puzzle), they are losing out everywhere else, hence the decline. That should make you realize how important the DS was. Sony was readying the PSP, yet Nintendo decided that they won't go to war. They didn't fall into that trap, even though the threat was immense.

What all this means for Nintendo's future is that any calls for Nintendo to serve third parties and hardcore gamers have it completely backwards; that will kill Nintendo. What Nintendo has to do is design systems that are like the NES, Wii, GB or DS. Mission statements that are about making more people play video games. Ironically, even if that goes against the wishes of third parties, it's actually more beneficial for them as the Wii and DS have proven. Significantly larger installed bases for Nintendo hardware inevitably result in bigger sales for third party software.

Lastly, I expected a steep decline (at least 60%) from Wii to Wii U for all of the aforementioned reasons. However, I didn't expect it to be this steep. Regardless, performing worse than the GC fits right in with Nintendo's history. Predicting the success or failure of Nintendo's next video game system should be an easy task, because all you need to do is listen to what they say when they reveal it and look if the presented software matches what they say.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. You expressed it better than how I would.