By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U sales trend may be just as expected if we look at Nintendo's home console sales.

Did you expect Wii U's current sales trend?

Yes 127 45.85%

No 95 34.30%

Yo Mama 49 17.69%

Total:271

nice chart. Nintendo does have to change some of its sdupid decision making and policies

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
curl-6 said:

Manufacturing costs reduce with time. PS3 was once a gargantuan money sink.

not when your producing as little as wii u is. they rise. especially when using old tech like wiiu. It either falls slowly or rises because its special parts late in the gen. Ps3 had new tech going for it allowijg costs to drop significantly 

Parts get cheaper as they get older, not more expensive. Hence the Wii, which was old tech even at its launch, selling for $99 now.

It's frankly quite absurd how people treat the Wii U like it's this magical one-of-a-kind console where the rules of the industry don't apply to it. How it's magically the only console where costs rise over time instead of dropping. How it's magically the only console where the graphics won't improve over time. Etc.

yakuza ice posts is correct. you are not.

Jay70sgamer said:

The point is they met their projections,whether it be "just" made it or not and As someone stated production costs as time pass gets lower which allows them to make profits on bundles ..I'm sure the wii u is slightly cheaper to produce right now than when they released it nov 2012...also the nintendo is trying to sell as many wii u as they can so that third party may be willing to take a risk on releasing third party games  because the install base is larger  and also ,they will profit on the game being bundled because I believe they will still bundle mario kart 8in the usa @300 dollars and a super bundle for 350$ ...still making a profit on each bundle sold ...just saying...

they didnt meet them though. you cant project to make 1000 dollars before nex month so you can go to vegas on vacation then in a year finally getting the 1000 you needed and say "i made my projections"

you and that someone are mostly wrong. it probably cost more to produce the wii u now than they were expecting because of such slow sales. Also, like yakuzaice stated, look at ps3. the reason they keep increase hdd size is because smaller ones get more expensiv. they had to take out BC, memory card readers, glossy/chrome paint, usb slots justto cut price initially. then the bluray diode became cheaper to produce, andthe rsx and cell started making progress in shrinking them. which allowed sony to cut cost with the slim even further. Nintendo doesnt have much of those luxury on the wii u. it will not fall in costs as fast as you think.

Six data points is not enough to quantify a trend, and certainly not enough to establish one of those six points as an outlier. Especially when said points are spaced at near five year intervals.

I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, and spend a good deal of time analyzing in-process data in order to assess trends and potential modes of product failure over time. If I ever went to our Quality Engineering team with the limited data I see in the OP, you can believe I'd have a hard time being taken seriously.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
Six data points is not enough to quantify a trend, and certainly not enough to establish one of those six points as an outlier. Especially when said points are spaced at near five year intervals.

I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, and spend a good deal of time analyzing in-process data in order to assess trends and potential modes of product failure over time. If I ever went to our Quality Engineering team with the limited data I see in the OP, you can believe I'd have a hard time being taken seriously.

Yeah, a pattern spaced 20 years apart is not enough to be called a trend. Lol.

You act is the data is JUST every 5 years. But the fact remains that the 5 years is comprised of yearly sales, monthly sales, weekly sales and daily sales. Which, obviously if the sell less every 5 years means they sold less yearly during those 5 years too.

Around the Network

Why are people calling the Wii an outlier? or for that matter even using the word.

Outliers can only be excluded within the same family of a sample not the whole family data set lol.

You can't just group all the generations and say they belong to the one family. In any case in a weird world were you can, 6 samples isn't enough to through out an outlier unless you are certain an error in the result was made.

Max King of the Wild said:

Yeah, a pattern spaced 20 years apart is not enough to be called a trend. Lol.

You act is the data is JUST every 5 years. But the fact remains that the 5 years is comprised of yearly sales, monthly sales, weekly sales and daily sales. Which, obviously if the sell less every 5 years means they sold less yearly during those 5 years too.

OP is only analyzing lifetime data, which was what I was commenting on. 

The problem with analyzing average data (which is what you seem to be implying) is that it asssumes the data to be statistically normal, which drastically simplies the equation, and ignores changes in growth and decline of the individual ranges of data. The OP's argument may very well be valid, but soley presenting individual datapoints is hardly presenting that in a sound way.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

RolStoppable said:
ICStats said:

It's kind of reaching to say NES succeeded for the same reasons as the Wii.  NES was a solid console people loved for years; the Wii to put it nicely, was not.  But even if we entertain the idea that they were successful for the same reasons - 25 years is a long time to call it repeatable.  Also failing (to certain degree) immediately after DS & Wii is a reason to not call it repeatable.

Nintendo's problem has been competition.  Their success with the traditional formula (including NES) shrunk due to competition with Sega, Sony & MS, and then they switched to the gimmick-driven strategy.

Yes I don't mind making the mistake that Nintendo's success last gen was gimmick-driven.  Gotta stand up for what you believe in :P

It's not reaching. The notable difference between the NES and Wii is that the NES is grounded in necessity while the Wii is grounded in choice. Japan didn't have an established video games market, so Nintendo had to create it. With the Wii, Nintendo could decide what they were going to do. It's 20 years between the NES and Wii and 15 years between the GB and DS. I already outlined in my very first post in this thread that the 3DS and Wii U cannot prove that the DS and Wii success is not repeatable, because the 3DS and Wii U didn't use the strategies of systems like the NES, Wii, GB and DS. So what the 3DS and Wii U are is further proof that the path of direct competition is detrimental to Nintendo success.

The NES was not the traditional formula, because before it there was no console like it. Not in Japan anyway, and also not in America and Europe. The NES shipped with an unconventional controller that had a d-pad instead of the established joystick.

You can't possibly think a console designed to run <35 Watts is built with intent to compete with what Sony & MS do.

Approximately, Wii U is to 8th gen what Wii was to 7th gen.

My 8th gen collection

RolStoppable said:
ICStats said:

You can't possibly think a console designed to run <35 Watts is built with intent to compete with what Sony & MS do.

Approximately, Wii U is to 8th gen what WIi was to 7th gen.

I can, because Nintendo stated their intentions. It's all in the reveal of the Wii U at E3 2011. Lacking/questionable execution doesn't change the intent.

Are you saying that they wanted to compete head-to-head but were incompetent?

I don't think so, I believe the actions more than the PR that's trying to make you think the Wii U would be powerful.

Wii U fits the 1/2 generation upgrade formula the Wii used, which was supposed to sell to the Wii + DS crowd because it's the combination of motion controls of Wii and touch controls of DS.

Unfortunately, while 2nd screen technology must have been technically challenging, I think we can agree that the sum of two old innovations didn't create something new and exciting.

My 8th gen collection

Yakuzaice said:
curl-6 said:

The standard Wii has dropped drastically in price since launch. So have PS3, 360, and before that Gamecube, PS2...

Hell, Premium Wii U itself has already dropped by $50.

It really hasn't.  It's still 52% of the price it launched at.  The Wii was sold with a big profit margin from the very start (estimates of a ~$160 BOM).  It is very unlikely that the margins stayed the same, there is pretty much no way the manufacturing cost is down to $40.  The disc drive, power supply, and manufacturing costs are probably similar or potentially higher than they were in 2006.  Shipping costs have also likely increased.

The Premium Wii U is 32GB of flash memory, games, and some plastic stands.  While they add value, they add very little in terms of cost.  It's probably more telling that they haven't gone below $299 yet.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Production-Costs-for-the-Nintendo-Wii-Have-Fallen-by-45-109014.shtml

Wii production costs down 45% from launch as of early 2009.