By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U sales trend may be just as expected if we look at Nintendo's home console sales.

Did you expect Wii U's current sales trend?

Yes 127 45.85%

No 95 34.30%

Yo Mama 49 17.69%

Total:271
Max King of the Wild said:
curl-6 said:

Halving in two years isn't exactly lowering slowly. If we take the $160 figure, that's still a $72 drop; that allows a $50 (20% of full price) cut with $22 of increased profit margin to spare. Wii would have cost $88 to make in early 2009.

Half of a small amount is a small amount. Epecially considering the majority of the reason for it lowering was by breaking so many records and projections

Can you prove that's the maijority of the reason? Can you rule out the natural depreciation of value parts and processes go through, as seen in every console ever?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Can you prove that's the maijority of the reason? Can you rule out the natural depreciation of value parts and processes go through, as seen in every console ever?

majority was an ovestatement but there is no denying the massive sals played a huge role in lowering the cost. Want proof? take an ecnomics class 

curl-6 said:

majority was an ovestatement but there is no denying the massive sals played a huge role in lowering the cost. Want proof? take an ecnomics class 

Your arguments are going to collapse on themselves when Wii U does drop in price.

Without that silly trend breaking PS2, the same could be said for Sony. Clearly having a 2 year head start over the Cube and Xbox gave it an unfair advantage, and it's success can not be counted. I can now confirm lifetime sales of the PS4 will be 60m and the PS5 will be 38m

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

Your arguments are going to collapse on themselves when Wii U does drop in price.

again, that doesnt go against what we are saying.

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
The Wii was a response to the decline in home console sales - which worked out very well for them. "The Wii was a fluke" Narrative is complete bullshit - it was a deliberate, intentional and genius move to capture an untapped market. They were banking on a similar strategy again, but the execution was terribly flawed.

The next console could flop worst then the Wii U - in fact Nintendo could already be irrelevant in the home console market, however, it is impossible to predict the future - as anything can happen. When a company is pushed to the edge they will no doubt fight back - luckily -Nintendo has a few tools at their disposable such as their war chest of cash, popular IPS and more importantly talent.

Nintendo is still one of the, if not - the biggest dedicated gaming company in the world.

I personally wouldn't count them out just yet.

That said, they are also among the most stubborn, out of touch, and technologically lacking (online features and hardware).

Like a samurai in the 1800's failing to adapt to the rise of gunpowder.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Shadow1980 said:

When you look deeper into the numbers, you realize that the apparent coincidence illustrated in the OP is just that: a coincidence. For various reasons, North America and Japan took turns shedding Nintendo market share over three generations. Games, release timing, duration of support, and other factors like price and marketing can make a huge difference. There was no trend, just an odd arrangement of different regional performances over a three-generation span.

I'd still call it a trend.  It's not a single reason and a straight line trend, but multiple headwinds compounded to depress sales in each region bit by bit.

The Wii U still has the same headwinds, and more (Japan playing less consoles, high price for Nintendo, low performance vs competition, delayed 1st party, worst 3rd party support in memory...).

My 8th gen collection

Jay70sgamer said:

The point is they met their projections,whether it be "just" made it or not and As someone stated production costs as time pass gets lower which allows them to make profits on bundles ..I'm sure the wii u is slightly cheaper to produce right now than when they released it nov 2012...also the nintendo is trying to sell as many wii u as they can so that third party may be willing to take a risk on releasing third party games  because the install base is larger  and also ,they will profit on the game being bundled because I believe they will still bundle mario kart 8in the usa @300 dollars and a super bundle for 350$ ...still making a profit on each bundle sold ...just saying...

they didnt meet them though. you cant project to make 1000 dollars before nex month so you can go to vegas on vacation then in a year finally getting the 1000 you needed and say "i made my projections"

you and that someone are mostly wrong. it probably cost more to produce the wii u now than they were expecting because of such slow sales. Also, like yakuzaice stated, look at ps3. the reason they keep increase hdd size is because smaller ones get more expensiv. they had to take out BC, memory card readers, glossy/chrome paint, usb slots justto cut price initially. then the bluray diode became cheaper to produce, andthe rsx and cell started making progress in shrinking them. which allowed sony to cut cost with the slim even further. Nintendo doesnt have much of those luxury on the wii u. it will not fall in costs as fast as you think.

That's doesn't  make any sense that the wii u is more expensive to produce now than before as time pass ...as in all electronics as things get older the price decreases because the electronic equipment used becomes outdated or there is a better replacement ...example blu Ray is much cheaper now because the components are less expensive to produce  ....why do you think companies use  price cuts at certain times because production cost are lower the wii u cut it's price from 350 to 300 because production cost went down a little so it allowed them to cut the price and because they can make up the lost on  software ....you are forgetting console sales plays a small part in the bigger picture it's the software that matters ....the wii u can only have 6,000,000 consoles but if one console owner buys 4 or 5 pieces of software ....nintendo makes a profit ...

Jay70sgamer said:

That's doesn't  make any sense that the wii u is more expensive to produce now than before as time pass ...as in all electronics as things get older the price decreases because the electronic equipment used becomes outdated or there is a better replacement ...example blu Ray is much cheaper now because the components are less expensive to produce  ....why do you think companies use  price cuts at certain times because production cost are lower the wii u cut it's price from 350 to 300 because production cost went down a little so it allowed them to cut the price and because they can make up the lost on  software ....you are forgetting console sales plays a small part in the bigger picture it's the software that matters ....the wii u can only have 6,000,000 consoles but if one console owner buys 4 or 5 pieces of software ....nintendo makes a profit ...

it does make sense. Nintendo went from producing 3m for its first quarter to 3m in its next 5. They werent profiting at the other price point and more production and with a 50 dollar cut, slower production, and weak game sales they mos likely arent profiting.

curl-6 said:

The article I just posted pokes a hole in his illogical theory of Nintendo systems magically staying the same or increasing in manufacturing costs.

I have never said that Nintendo systems magically stay the same price or increase.  I said that certain components do not see significant price reductions, and that the cost per unit of 2.8m Wii U's is likely higher than if they were producing 9m.  In fact, I was pretty explicit about what things I didn't think would see their prices fall, I'm not sure what your obsession with magic is.  Also to be clear, when I said "The disc drive, power supply, and manufacturing costs are probably similar or potentially higher than they were in 2006."  the context of "manufacturing costs" was the cost of assembly.  Wages have been rising in China, and despite increases in efficiency, I doubt those costs have been going down.

If you had bothered to actually respond to the points in my first post you would understand that.

The article actually partially supports my point as well.  Wii production had ramped up significantly between the start of production and 2009.  In comparison, Wii U production has likely dropped (the first quarter of Wii U shipments still represented 52% of total shipments after more than a year), which would put them in a worse position when negotiating prices.

It also depends on what currencies he was expressing that data in.  The yen appreciated quite a bit in that time frame.  While the price in yen for manufacturing might be down, the price they sell it at might be down as well.  At the peak, a $250 Wii was bringing in 30,875 yen in June 2007.  By Jan 2009 it was bringing as little as 22,283.  That's a 28% drop just from currency fluctuations.