By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has sony topped samsung as the best phone maker?

Is the xperia z2 the most impressive android device to date?

HTC M8 is better 50 11.34%

Galaxy s5 is better 68 15.42%

Galaxy note 3 is better 11 2.49%

Nexus 5 is better 19 4.31%

Xperia z2 is the best to date 222 50.34%

it is on par with the top 3 66 14.97%

Total:436
Pemalite said:
VanceIX said:
Pemalite said:

I am confident enough that I have more than enough self-esteem and non-care factor that someone elses opinion on whether something feels/looks good isn't going to deter me from using/buying a product that I will enjoy.

Plastic, Aka, Polycarbonate can feel as every bit as premium as metal, you just need to use a high-end Lumia with it's full-body plastic shell.
Plastic has several advantages over metal bodies, especially in regards to signal strength, metal attenuates the signal far more than plastic, that's a law in physics that you simply can't get around, you can always boost the signal strength more by throwing more electricity at the problem, but thats at the expense of battery life.

There are also plastics that "self heal" thus if you DO get a nasty, ugly scratch/dent it will heal itself.

Converesly, I don't know about anyone else, but every smartphone I have ever bought has lived inside of a cover, thus making the material and durability arguments, literally a non-issue.

Polycarbonate does NOT feel anywhere near as premium as glass or aluminum. Sorry, but that's just how it is. 

Also, Samsung phones, though made of plastic, do not usually have a noticable battery life improvement.

When Samsung starts using those plastics, tell me. Until then, metal and even glass is FAR more resistant to scratches than plastic.

I use cases, but I use minimalist cases that don't bulk up my phone, because I am confident that my metal phone is plenty strong. I don't need an Otterbox to have a rugged phone. 

Also, in the end, none of this matters, because I wouldn't purchase a Samsung phone simply because Touchwiz is a horrible and bloated UI.

Plastic that self heals is more resistant to scratches than metal, it also is less likely to DENT, there is a phone that already features such technology. (Google it.)

Now comparing my Lumia against something like the iPhone, well. I prefer the feel of the Lumia, it's a solid piece of nice looking premium feeling plastic and I honestly don't care if it is made of plastic.

Like I said, if that plastic becomes commonplace, I would welcome it. It hasn't happened yet.

And to each his own. For me, the HTC One, Xperia Z2, and iPhone 5S all look and feel more premium and classy than a Samsun or Nokia phone. Some may not mind it, but that won't change the fact that there are a lot that do.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
That would depend on Samsung making the best phones previously wouldn't it?

THIS! Topping Samsung isn't a great achievement, it just takes to suck a little less! In my life I and my family owned cellphones of many brands, and only my first one, a used Mitsubishi my dad gave me when he bought another, was worse than the Samsung ones he and my mom owned through the years. Why on earth they gave Samsung other chances after being ripped-off the first time (twice, as it sucked and the assistance didn't solve its horrible battery life problems) is beyond me. Not to mention that last time I tried to read their manuals, they looked translated by Bing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I LOVE my Z1, and I loved my Arc before it

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

OnePlus One > all your stuff

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

bananaking21 said:
VXIII said:
bananaking21 said:
leo-j said:
Shinobi-san said:

like taking a picture while its raining (just an example). 

What a boring example ^^

Z1 is water resistant, not water proof. meaning its not recommended to take it down for a swin (even though it will most likely not do anything to the phone). the ZR is water proof, do what ever the hell you want with that baby.

Xperia Z1 is the first WATERPROOF smartphone from sony.. it is IP58 , the 8 rating officially labels the device as water proof.. look it up , the device can go under for as much as five feet of water

mM
Around the Network

Sony makes the best rated TVs too now that Panasonic stopped making plasmas.

Not quite up up there with HTC and Samsung. Most professional cricits would agree. Knowing this site, poll results were predictable.

eFKac said:
I'm very happy with my Sony smartphones, the last three I had were SE Xperia Arc S, Xperia S, and now an Xperia Z. Can't really compare with Samsung's though cause before I bought the Arc S, I had only Nokia's (N95 was sweet, afterwards they dropped the ball so low)

I to also have the Xperia Z and I love it.  Too bad T-mobile is so slow on the updates they push out. I want the 4.3 update lol.