By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has sony topped samsung as the best phone maker?

Is the xperia z2 the most impressive android device to date?

HTC M8 is better 50 11.34%

Galaxy s5 is better 68 15.42%

Galaxy note 3 is better 11 2.49%

Nexus 5 is better 19 4.31%

Xperia z2 is the best to date 222 50.34%

it is on par with the top 3 66 14.97%

Total:436

Sony and HTC both passed Samsung easily this year. Too bad Samsung has become the Apple of Android- there's no way either will be able to catch up anytime soon. Especially since Sony doesn't even sell the Z2 in the US.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

i used to prefer Samsung as first choice before but not anymore a year ago, switched Sony Xperia Z series cause somehow i just like their classy glass design more with IP58 certified, currently using Z1 Compact and Tablet Z, so far still happy with them so not going for upgrade yet, but will consider Z2 Compact if it still holding same spec as Z2, cause i prefer smaller phone with hi-end spec... 

The Premium (Flagship) Sony phones tend to be cheaper than than the premium Samsung phones. The Sony phones also look and feel premium, not cheap and plastic looking like samsung.

Turkish said:
I cant believe people buy plastic phones that cost 700 euro. When I take out the Xperia Z, all eyes are on it, it looks premium.

Xperia Z had its problems, like batterylife and screen, Z2 fixes all the issues. Really best phone so far, tho htc One M8 looks great as well.

some plastics actually cost more than aluminium..  only fools care what some outer sheel looks like.

Saying all that samsung know that these fools exist hence why they got the F series coming out lol.

Cobretti2 said:
Turkish said:
I cant believe people buy plastic phones that cost 700 euro. When I take out the Xperia Z, all eyes are on it, it looks premium.

Xperia Z had its problems, like batterylife and screen, Z2 fixes all the issues. Really best phone so far, tho htc One M8 looks great as well.

some plastics actually cost more than aluminium..  only fools care what some outer sheel looks like.

Saying all that samsung know that these fools exist hence why they got the F series coming out lol.

A lot of people care what the outer shell looks like. If I get a $650 device, I damn well expect it to look and feel premium. The build quality was the reason I went with the original HTC One instead of the S4, and the reason I will go with the Z3 when it comes out instead of the S6. 

And trust me, the plastic on the S5 costs a lot less than the aluminum on the One or the glass and metal on the Z2. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
Scisca said:
I like Sony's phones much more, that's why I've bought an Xperia Z1 Compact and I absolutely love it! Samsung has no answer to this phone whatsoever.

The thing I like most about Sony smartphones is not the power of the hardware, but the fact that they just look so elegant and tight, while Samsung's just look cheap in comparison. Cheap plastic vs. nice looking plastic and metal. The design is so much better, there is a much more professional vibe to them.

Also they have the physical camera button, which is a big deal to me. And they are water proof. They tick in every box. For me Sony > Samsung.

This is also why I got the Z1 as well.  Also the battery life is much better compared to other major smartphones.

VanceIX said:

A lot of people care what the outer shell looks like. If I get a $650 device, I damn well expect it to look and feel premium. The build quality was the reason I went with the original HTC One instead of the S4, and the reason I will go with the Z3 when it comes out instead of the S6. 

And trust me, the plastic on the S5 costs a lot less than the aluminum on the One or the glass and metal on the Z2. 

I am confident enough that I have more than enough self-esteem and non-care factor that someone elses opinion on whether something feels/looks good isn't going to deter me from using/buying a product that I will enjoy.

Plastic, Aka, Polycarbonate can feel as every bit as premium as metal, you just need to use a high-end Lumia with it's full-body plastic shell.
Plastic has several advantages over metal bodies, especially in regards to signal strength, metal attenuates the signal far more than plastic, that's a law in physics that you simply can't get around, you can always boost the signal strength more by throwing more electricity at the problem, but thats at the expense of battery life.

There are also plastics that "self heal" thus if you DO get a nasty, ugly scratch/dent it will heal itself.

Converesly, I don't know about anyone else, but every smartphone I have ever bought has lived inside of a cover, thus making the material and durability arguments, literally a non-issue.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shinobi-san said:
leo-j said:
Shinobi-san said:

Sorry leoj but you are simply making things up.

The nokia lumia 1020 has the best camera smartphone hands down. Its not even close.

You mentioned the hardware and the sensor - the lumia 1020 has a bigger sensor than the Z2.

GSMARENA has the most comprehensive camera comparison articles. I suggest anyone who is serious about camera smartphones have a look at it:

http://www.gsmarena.com/six_way_camera_shootout-review-998.php

And before you say "Hey Shinobi thats the Z1 not the Z2" well they have exactly the same camera

The only area you can neg points from the lumia is the time it takes to process its shots. But as permalite mentioned that phone is due for an upgrade...compared to the others which wont see an upgrade for atleast the next 6 months.

The Z2 does well though considering that it doesnt compromise on form factor, unlike the lumia 1020, and it probably has the best ANDROID smartphone camera.

DXOmark put the upcoming Z2 camera above all others smartphones. The website has high credibility. They criticized 1020 camera for producing strong color shading indoor and underexposure outdoors pictures

Z1 and Z2 both have the same parts, but the sofware is improved in 2. Follow the link if you are interested.

Not saying it is a cold fact, but neither should you, It is definitely not " hands down " or " not even close ".

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-Xperia-Z2-overview-Revised-model-takes-first-place-in-Mobile-rankings

eFKac said:
I'm very happy with my Sony smartphones, the last three I had were SE Xperia Arc S, Xperia S, and now an Xperia Z. Can't really compare with Samsung's though cause before I bought the Arc S, I had only Nokia's (N95 was sweet, afterwards they dropped the ball so low)

they are back now though. Spec wise Sony+Samsung are miles away, but as an experience Nokia's are very very good. windows on mobile has grown into a good platform, it really comes down to whether you prefer Andriod or windows phone. personally i love andriod, so im getting a Z1 compact. 

leo-j said:
Shinobi-san said:
The Z2 camera is NOT considered to be the best camera on a smartphone that title goes to a nokia phone.

And just wow at the poll results XD

Z2 is certainly up there with the top android phones. You cant go wrong buying either of them imo.

WRONG MEGA PIXEL COUNT DOES NOT = BEST CAMERA..

the 41 MP nokia lumia is up there with the Z1 in terms of quality, but the z2 trumps every camera because of the lenses and sensors inside of the device..

actually the nokia has the better camera. however, both are really really solid camera's so it isnt a big issue. Z2 is probably the better option due to water/dust resistance and that gives you better options to take pictures from. like taking a picture while its raining (just an example).