By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pikmin 3 more or less failed- Will we ever see another Pikmin game?

Well, so far it's sold far more than Donkey Kong on Wii U, so if they discontinue Pikmin, they might as well do the same with DKC.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
t3mporary_126 said:

If anything, this is why Pikmin won't be continued : (

I think Pikmin can sale better on popular Nintendo handhelds like the 3DS.

Gonna be hard to see anything with such a small screen, and the pointer controls will be greatly missed. This is one game series I think should actually stay on consoles only!

Im sure people can deal with it, after all the 1st 2 games didnt have them. What they also needed to add was touch controls which wouldve worked well on WiiU... like the Nintendoland game... thats actually my fave Pikmin game... I dont really like Pikmin... I would prefer to play Wii Music... OK that last one I was just fucking with you

Amount of ignorance and lack of research in this thread is unbearable...

Pikmin franchise was never a multi-million seller to begin with and if I remember correctly, all Pikmin games sold above 500K copies/units. Pikmin franchise started on Gamecube, Pikmin was released in 2001 and has sold 1.63 million and its sequel was released in 2004 and has 1.2 million nearing end of Gamecubes life. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 got released later on released on Wii called New Player Control Pikmin and New Player Control Pikmin 2 which introduced Wii remote & nunchuk control option, it sold well for what it was. NPCP sold 600K and NPCP2 sold 530K. Both of these were extremely cheap to make since they Wii was basically Gamecube with higher clock thus porting cost was extremely low, I would not be surprised that if those two sold 100K that they still have rather decent profit margin...

Pikim 3 is not even a year out, it is just over 9 months and games that Nintendo is making and selling are long term sellers. Pikmin 3 has currently 750K copies/units sold and that is physical copies and if we knew how many digital copies were sold and we combined them with physical sales I would not be surprised if Pikmin 3 is now at 800K+ with physical and digital sales combined... Pikmin 3 is profitable and sooner or later we will have a sequel or trilogy edition and you people just talk without any research and go doom and gloom because you want to see it that way.

In fifth generation a game was profitable with at least 100K copies/units sold and in sixth generation that was at least 200-300K copies/units and in seventh generation that went up to 700K-1M while Wii was an exception since it was basically upgraded Gamecube so you could not go all out on everything as with HD twins thus you had less work since limitations of the system did not allow that level of detail also because HD Twins could do what they do thus cost of making a game was higher because you needed more people and game development increased because of complexity of games. Before you could make a good game under a year and now if you want everything that you want then it is at least a year to three years or more depending of complexity of your project.

Developer of Fire Emblem:Awakening was asked if he would make a Fire Emblem game on Wij U with which he replied that the game would must sell 700K to be profitable... Thus Pikmin 3 is surely by now well above 800K with physical and digital sales so it is profitable also its development started on Wii so that is reason why visuals are nothing to sneeze at from what could have been if it was developed for Wii U from start. Difference from early build of Pikmin 3 in early 2013 and compare it to its release build and you will see the difference in visuals as they tried to improve as much as possible as they could under that timeframe and they were understaffed at that time....

So Pikmin 3 development costs increased because of switching to Wii U yet if it was developed for it from start then cost would have been considerably higher as they would had apropriately sized development team and more working ours would have been done for polishing the game...

I apologize if you see me as a douche, but please do your homework first then talk.

Thank you in advance...

Cheebee said:
Well, so far it's sold far more than Donkey Kong on Wii U, so if they discontinue Pikmin, they might as well do the same with DKC.

Well it wouldnt surprise me if they did ice DK for awhile now after that preformance. The Wii game sold well but this new one will need some mighty impressive legs if we are going to see a new one before the new console imo.

Plus who would make it, Retro... please no, they need to be making more than just another 2D platformer. Nintendo already have like 3 teams making them (well whoever does 2D Mario, Yoshi and Kirby)

edit: Pun not intended

ktay95 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
t3mporary_126 said:

If anything, this is why Pikmin won't be continued : (

I think Pikmin can sale better on popular Nintendo handhelds like the 3DS.

Gonna be hard to see anything with such a small screen, and the pointer controls will be greatly missed. This is one game series I think should actually stay on consoles only!

Im sure people can deal with it, after all the 1st 2 games didnt have them. What they also needed to add was touch controls which wouldve worked well on WiiU... like the Nintendoland game... thats actually my fave Pikmin game... I dont really like Pikmin... I would prefer to play Wii Music... OK that last one I was just fucking with you

Yeah, I would just deal with it as that's how much I love the series! xD

Plus I just looked at some Pikmin 3 trailers on me original 3DS and it's not too bad actually!

Around the Network
hated_individual said:
Amount of ignorance and lack of research in this thread is unbearable...

Pikmin franchise was never a multi-million seller to begin with and if I remember correctly, all Pikmin games sold above 500K copies/units. Pikmin franchise started on Gamecube, Pikmin was released in 2001 and has sold 1.63 million and its sequel was released in 2004 and has 1.2 million nearing end of Gamecubes life. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 got released later on released on Wii called New Player Control Pikmin and New Player Control Pikmin 2 which introduced Wii remote & nunchuk control option, it sold well for what it was. NPCP sold 600K and NPCP2 sold 530K. Both of these were extremely cheap to make since they Wii was basically Gamecube with higher clock thus porting cost was extremely low, I would not be surprised that if those two sold 100K that they still have rather decent profit margin...

Pikim 3 is not even a year out, it is just over 9 months and games that Nintendo is making and selling are long term sellers. Pikmin 3 has currently 750K copies/units sold and that is physical copies and if we knew how many digital copies were sold and we combined them with physical sales I would not be surprised if Pikmin 3 is now at 800K+ with physical and digital sales combined... Pikmin 3 is profitable and sooner or later we will have a sequel or trilogy edition and you people just talk without any research and go doom and gloom because you want to see it that way.

In fifth generation a game was profitable with at least 100K copies/units sold and in sixth generation that was at least 200-300K copies/units and in seventh generation that went up to 700K-1M while Wii was an exception since it was basically upgraded Gamecube so you could not go all out on everything as with HD twins thus you had less work since limitations of the system did not allow that level of detail also because HD Twins could do what they do thus cost of making a game was higher because you needed more people and game development increased because of complexity of games. Before you could make a good game under a year and now if you want everything that you want then it is at least a year to three years or more depending of complexity of your project.

Developer of Fire Emblem:Awakening was asked if he would make a Fire Emblem game on Wij U with which he replied that the game would must sell 700K to be profitable... Thus Pikmin 3 is surely by now well above 800K with physical and digital sales so it is profitable also its development started on Wii so that is reason why visuals are nothing to sneeze at from what could have been if it was developed for Wii U from start. Difference from early build of Pikmin 3 in early 2013 and compare it to its release build and you will see the difference in visuals as they tried to improve as much as possible as they could under that timeframe and they were understaffed at that time....

So Pikmin 3 development costs increased because of switching to Wii U yet if it was developed for it from start then cost would have been considerably higher as they would had apropriately sized development team and more working ours would have been done for polishing the game...

I apologize if you see me as a douche, but please do your homework first then talk.

Thank you in advance...

This. And again, the game selling  good (I'm not saying very good) in comparison to other games, not even Wind Waker it's too far away.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

tbone51 said:

oh really, how do you like them? Its definitely a unique game. Personally all 3 give it something different to me, but my favorite is Pikmin 2

Pikmin 1: Best Challenge, 30 days of pressure unlike any game before

Pikmin 2: Best Exploration+Content. 100hours of goodness

Pikmin 3: By far best gameplay+graphics and maps (and extra modes),but pikmin 2 had so much more to offer imo

I thought that too because of the time limit, but recently I started a new Pikmin 1 playthrough for old time's sake and it's much easier than I remember. Once you have a general idea of how Pikmin works and where things are, you can absolutely fly through the game with few losses. On a first-time playthrough it might seem harder, but only because it has a fail condition in the overall time limit. I think that the enemies are more varied and challenging in Pikmin 3, and the puzzles are more complex. It's possible that someone entirely new to the series would struggle just as much with Pikmin 3 as a newcomer would with the first game.

Once you've gotten the hang of Pikmin, none of the games are particularly difficult. The real challenge is found in the aptly-named Challenge Modes, which are absent from the first game aside from a simple score leaderboard.

the_dengle said:
tbone51 said:

oh really, how do you like them? Its definitely a unique game. Personally all 3 give it something different to me, but my favorite is Pikmin 2

Pikmin 1: Best Challenge, 30 days of pressure unlike any game before

Pikmin 2: Best Exploration+Content. 100hours of goodness

Pikmin 3: By far best gameplay+graphics and maps (and extra modes),but pikmin 2 had so much more to offer imo

I thought that too because of the time limit, but recently I started a new Pikmin 1 playthrough for old time's sake and it's much easier than I remember. Once you have a general idea of how Pikmin works and where things are, you can absolutely fly through the game with few losses. On a first-time playthrough it might seem harder, but only because it has a fail condition in the overall time limit. I think that the enemies are more varied and challenging in Pikmin 3, and the puzzles are more complex. It's possible that someone entirely new to the series would struggle just as much with Pikmin 3 as a newcomer would with the first game.

Once you've gotten the hang of Pikmin, none of the games are particularly difficult. The real challenge is found in the aptly-named Challenge Modes, which are absent from the first game aside from a simple score leaderboard.

Good points, i beat the game many times but the first time i playec through i collected i think 26 parts but i missed 2 important ones. I then for my 2nd part went all out serious like it was my career (i was 12/13 at the time leave me alone :p ) and i completed it on the 27th day (with taking 2 vacation days which were for my definition, pikmin breeding time lol)

Miyamoto seems to have a particularly soft spot in his heart for Pikmin...
And the fact that Pikmin 3 isn't that far off of Wind Waker is even more impressive when you consider the fact that WW was bundled in the US at one point...

Have a nice day...

we have to wait and see how pikmin 3 legs out as wii u's installed base grows. plus, as long as the series is profitable, it should have a future.