By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pikmin 3 more or less failed- Will we ever see another Pikmin game?

spurgeonryan said:
tbone51 said:

Pikmin 3 is over 700k isnt it on a terrible userbase? There will be a fourth, just not anytime soon

No..not terrible. But it has had many chances to break through. Wii sold over 100 million systems. It failed twice on it. So no, it is not bad nd will probably eek out Other M like numbers. But is that worth it to Nintendo? And without its Daddy?

Failed twic on it? Those were remakes and they sold half of the originals, your standards are too high

Around the Network

You are delusional. Nintendo has never stopped making games for a certain franchise due to low appeal or even low sales. What type of company do you think they are? One that tries to make money?

Pfft.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Unfortunately yeah it'll probably go the way of Starfox and F-Zero.

pretty much this.  anything less than 5M and nintendo thinks it's a dead franchise.

spurgeonryan said:
tbone51 said:

Pikmin 3 is over 700k isnt it on a terrible userbase? There will be a fourth, just not anytime soon

No..not terrible. But it has had many chances to break through. Wii sold over 100 million systems. It failed twice on it. So no, it is not bad nd will probably eek out Other M like numbers. But is that worth it to Nintendo? And without its Daddy?

you serious. Those were lazy ports with NO advertising. Hell the sequel never even made it to the US. You cant fail if you didnt try in the first place. And that new play crap sure as hell wasnt trying. 

kitler53 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

pretty much this.  anything less than 5M and nintendo thinks it's a dead franchise.

everything dead except Pokemon/Mario Kart/SSB/Animal Crossing confirmed :0

Around the Network

@spurgeonryan

Pikmin sold 1.6 million and New Player Control Pikmin remake/port/edition sold 0.6 million so it is rougly 45% and Pikmin 2 sold 1.2 million while New Player Control Pikmin 2 sold 0.55 million so it is roughly 50% of its original which is pretty damn good for a simple port.

By your standards Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is a flop? Monster Hunter Tri on Wii sold 2.16 million while Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate sold 0.49 million copies which is close to 25% and that is without digital sales that could add 40-50K which would push it past 25% and Capcom stated that Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate was a smash hit.... They did not expect it to sell that well for a port considering that Wii U is backward compatible with Wii software so you could play the original... Its not a flop as long its profitable...

kitler53 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Damn, NO! :'(

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:

TheLastStarFighter said:
I'd be fine if they put it on ice. I've picked up two now and they bore me after a while. P3 was pretty, but soon I wanted to be doing something else. The nice imagery wasted on that title could have been used in something much more fun to play.

You just don't like games with this style, it simply doesn't appeal to you, but not just because of that Nintendo should drop the series.

I didn't say they SHOULD drop it, I said I would be happy if they did. That said, they probably should drop it because of weak sales.

@Metallox

Ignore Kitler53 and Einsam_Delphin... If that was true then there would not be Pikmin 2 NPCP 1, NPCP 2 and Pikmin 3 nor Donkey Kong Country since Donkey Konga did not sell 5 million nor many other games.... Those two are drama queens and sooner or later they will act as some primadona like Turkish....

As much as I was PERSONALLY disappointed in Pikmin 3, after waiting years for it, I would hardly call it "more or less a failure". It has sold over 750k copies, and that's just physical. It's probably sold even more digital, as all Wii games likely have, because Nintendo has really been pushing digital on 3DS and Wii U. Mean it could well realistically already have at least close to 1 mil. in total sales.

And even if 750k was ALL it had (which isn't the case), that would still be a respectable number, considering that it continues to have slow legs, and will likely get a boost from MK8 launch/bundle-induced Wii U purchases, as well as another boost next holiday season.

Like I said, I was let down by the title. It's a good game, but the lack of swarming, camera zoom and MULTIPLE save files really hurt it for me. But to call it a failure? No way. Game & Wario, you can call that a failure. Pikmin 3, at the very least, is a moderate success, all things considered.