By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pikmin 3 more or less failed- Will we ever see another Pikmin game?

Faust said:
Metallox said:

New Super Mario Bros. U is selling because it's bundled, simple as that. I mean, just look at Super Mario 3D World, it has tanked. It definitely has surpassed the 2M mark, but it's going to struggle to reach those 3M. Now, SM3DW has sold 1.96M units, Pikmin has sold 750K, the difference it's only about 1.25 units. Keep in mind, this is Mario vs Pikmin. The game it's actually selling quite good considering the Wii U's situation.

my point is a 2d mario game (even sm3dw) can be made within months of development and Nintendo can wait more sells out of it. Plus, is a good way to fill droughts on the system.  I can be wrong tho

Yeah, from 15 to 24 months.

Around the Network

Considering the install base, Pikmin 3 did pretty well.

7% of GC owners bought Pikmin
5% of GC owners bought Pikmin 2
12% of Wii U owners bought Pikmin 3 (as of now)

If you add that the game has DLC, it makes things look better

Pikmin 4 will release sometime, just a matter of when.

tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
Faust said:
tbone51 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Unfortunately yeah it'll probably go the way of Starfox and F-Zero.

Really now? 750k (just checked) on a 6mil userbase is pretty good. The game will end up selling over a million lifetime. If a good sellng home console came out maybe we can see another, or maybe even a portable one on the next HH installment.

is pretty poor by Nintendo's standards, even with the low userbase of the wii u. Just look at NSMBU's numbers, 3.85m for a indie-like game (prod value) is very impressive, and is probably what nintendo is looking for.

pretty much this, by their own standards, this isnt nothing to be proud of. Now is their own standards too high? Maybe.

How much was it suppose to sell then? I mean its not like the first 2 sold 3mil+. Its like if a FE game sold 600k on wiiu, yeah its not as much as 3DS FE (only game to sell 1mil+ in the series) but still good.

Dont get me wrong, i kno nintendo wanting this game to do alot more, but 750k (maybe up to 850k now with digital+shipped) with a chance to hit a million lifetime doesn't seem that bad. Also they put out some DLC that was free and $2 a piece (i think a total of 4-5), which should help some but who knows

my point was had then not been playing games with it and put it on Wii like they were supposed too it could ahve had a bigger impact

*Sound Of Rain

I wonder how many Pikmin and Pikmin 2 copies were sold in 9 months and user base size in those nine months was.

It didnt do badly...

It just wont be high on Nintendos priority list next time theyre in need of a system seller.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Turkish said:
It's likely the last. It took like 10 years for the 3rd one to come out with all the delays, it sold poorly.

Niche series (though would of done wayyy better if released on wii years ago), that didn't do as bad i people think imo.

1.63mil: Pikmin 1 (GCN Launch Title)

1.20mil: Pikmin 2 

0.75mil: Pikmin 3 *Much less userbase so far and its going to keep on growing (should be 1mil by end of life)

Nintendo games that are released early in the console cycle can usually double or triple their first year sales in their life time.

Not like some AAA blockbuster titles that can only double or triple their first week sales.

i bet in a pikmin HD trilogy, with 1 and 2 also totally into wii U controlers.
for both wii U and nintendo next home console and handheld.

Sega's game Conduit only sold 500k and it got a sequal.
so i know for a fact we will see another.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Zero999 said:
Faust said:
Metallox said:

New Super Mario Bros. U is selling because it's bundled, simple as that. I mean, just look at Super Mario 3D World, it has tanked. It definitely has surpassed the 2M mark, but it's going to struggle to reach those 3M. Now, SM3DW has sold 1.96M units, Pikmin has sold 750K, the difference it's only about 1.25 units. Keep in mind, this is Mario vs Pikmin. The game it's actually selling quite good considering the Wii U's situation.

my point is a 2d mario game (even sm3dw) can be made within months of development and Nintendo can wait more sells out of it. Plus, is a good way to fill droughts on the system.  I can be wrong tho

Yeah, from 15 to 24 months.

The New Super Mario Bros. Wii team worked on it since 2009. NSMB2 was made by another team.

People underestimate their level design standards... Maybe only speedrunners can appreciate it properly and realize that it's unmatched.

NPCP sold 600K and that was enough for NPCP2 which had 550K and not bad for a port that nearly had half of sales of its originals. Not bad at all... Pikmin 3 will break a million...