By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pikmin 3 more or less failed- Will we ever see another Pikmin game?

Faust said:
tbone51 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Unfortunately yeah it'll probably go the way of Starfox and F-Zero.

Really now? 750k (just checked) on a 6mil userbase is pretty good. The game will end up selling over a million lifetime. If a good sellng home console came out maybe we can see another, or maybe even a portable one on the next HH installment.

is pretty poor by Nintendo's standards, even with the low userbase of the wii u. Just look at NSMBU's numbers, 3.85m for a indie-like game (prod value) is very impressive, and is probably what nintendo is looking for.

pretty much this, by their own standards, this isnt nothing to be proud of. Now is their own standards too high? Maybe.

Around the Network

probably not, maybe something portable. But it wont be for awhile. IMHO this is all on Ninty, they pussyfooted around with the series for too long. It was supposed to be a WIi game from the jump! The smart thing to do would have been to put in on a system that actually sold well so it can possibly get new fans. Instead of releasing it on a system that is niche. Yes i know that they put that new play control crap out but clearly it did nothing. and if you are doing rereleases like that its supposed to be followed up by a damn new game. ala Sony HD collections

Exactly how big were Nintendo expectations for Pikmin 3 ?   How much Did the other two titles sell for comparison ?

I'd be fine if they put it on ice. I've picked up two now and they bore me after a while. P3 was pretty, but soon I wanted to be doing something else. The nice imagery wasted on that title could have been used in something much more fun to play.

Faust said:
tbone51 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Really now? 750k (just checked) on a 6mil userbase is pretty good. The game will end up selling over a million lifetime. If a good sellng home console came out maybe we can see another, or maybe even a portable one on the next HH installment.

is pretty poor by Nintendo's standards, even with the low userbase of the wii u. Just look at NSMBU's numbers, 3.85m for a indie-like game (prod value) is very impressive, and is probably what nintendo is looking for.

New Super Mario Bros. U is selling because it's bundled, simple as that. I mean, just look at Super Mario 3D World, it has tanked. It definitely has surpassed the 2M mark, but it's going to struggle to reach those 3M. Now, SM3DW has sold 1.96M units, Pikmin has sold 750K, the difference it's only about 1.25 units. Keep in mind, this is Mario vs Pikmin. The game it's actually selling quite good considering the Wii U's situation.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

I think there may be another for Wii U just because they already have the assets ready. The same team can probably pump out a new game in a couple of years. I don't know what else they would be developing, EAD4 pretty much only makes Pikmin and NSMB, and they were obviously working on NSMBU and Pikmin 3 simultaneously.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I'd be fine if they put it on ice. I've picked up two now and they bore me after a while. P3 was pretty, but soon I wanted to be doing something else. The nice imagery wasted on that title could have been used in something much more fun to play.

You just don't like games with this style, it simply doesn't appeal to you, but not just because of that Nintendo should drop the series.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

oniyide said:
Faust said:
tbone51 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

pretty much this, by their own standards, this isnt nothing to be proud of. Now is their own standards too high? Maybe.

How much was it suppose to sell then? I mean its not like the first 2 sold 3mil+. Its like if a FE game sold 600k on wiiu, yeah its not as much as 3DS FE (only game to sell 1mil+ in the series) but still good.

Dont get me wrong, i kno nintendo wanting this game to do alot more, but 750k (maybe up to 850k now with digital+shipped) with a chance to hit a million lifetime doesn't seem that bad. Also they put out some DLC that was free and $2 a piece (i think a total of 4-5), which should help some but who knows

Turkish said:
It's likely the last. It took like 10 years for the 3rd one to come out with all the delays, it sold poorly.

Niche series (though would of done wayyy better if released on wii years ago), that didn't do as bad i people think imo.

1.63mil: Pikmin 1 (GCN Launch Title)

1.20mil: Pikmin 2 

0.75mil: Pikmin 3 *Much less userbase so far and its going to keep on growing (should be 1mil by end of life)

tbone51 said:
Turkish said:
It's likely the last. It took like 10 years for the 3rd one to come out with all the delays, it sold poorly.

Niche series (though would of done wayyy better if released on wii years ago), that didn't do as bad i people think imo.

1.63mil: Pikmin 1 (GCN Launch Title)

1.20mil: Pikmin 2 

0.75mil: Pikmin 3 *Much less userbase so far and its going to keep on growing (should be 1mil by end of life)

I hope so because I bought all 3 games some weeks ago.