By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Sega handheld market topic (Game Gear 2)

Should Sega return in the handheld market with Game Gear 2?

Yes, I love Sega!!! 39 28.06%

Yes, only if it was a two way race 2 1.44%

Yes, if the Vita is discontinued 9 6.47%

Yes, Sega's Ip's could flourish again 5 3.60%

No, Sega has lost it's identity 31 22.30%

No, Sega can't compete against Nintendo 39 28.06%

Yes, because Sega does what Nintendon't ;) 14 10.07%

Total:139

In terms of size. The game gear is not much bigger to Psp. Nomad is quite a bit bigger and wider then Game gear. By the way i also haev mint condition of Atari Lynx handheld
dane007 said:

Assyrian612 said:

Man that is just pure gorgeous right there... Roughly how large is it in comparisons to other things, just an example would be nice? I would love to buy one, but I really hate used items. I have a pet peeve about used items. You say you have a Nomad as well? Could you please take a side by side pic of both consoles? =) Thank you again this makes me really happy I appreciate it

This was taken when i first got my nokia 1020 .

Around the Network

Man this is just pure awesome, those are two really clean consoles you have. Based on your experience with both of them, which do you prefer over the other? Thank you for posting these pics, I love seeing mint Sega consoles. Tomorrow I'll post my Dreamcasts in this thread, I also have a Master System, Genesis, and Saturn as well =)

Ronster316 said:

Would be nice.

They could make retail games (if the handheld is packing enough power) like SEGA Rally 3 (SEGA Rally revo does not count, it was made by a bum studio, not their AM5 division) Shenmue 3, Jet Set Radio 3, Binary Domain 2, Virtua Fighter 6 ect.

They could also have a XBLA/PSN type store where you could buy sequels to classic 2D games (and keep them 2D of course), games like Streets of Rage 4, Shinobi 4, Kid Chameleon 2, Vectorman 3, Ristar 2 etc.

Either way, if they ever did come back in to the handheld or console fray, i would support them 100% just like i have done since 1991.

Exactly, You and I agree 100%. I think Shenmue 3 might be a little harder to get developed in terms of Sega taking risks, the rest is plausible. I really hope Shenmue 3 is a reality just in general, but that's a story for another discussion. I would support Sega 100% too, I love knowing there's still Sega loyal fans around these days =)

Assyrian612 said:

Man this is just pure awesome, those are two really clean consoles you have. Based on your experience with both of them, which do you prefer over the other? Thank you for posting these pics, I love seeing mint Sega consoles. Tomorrow I'll post my Dreamcasts in this thread, I also have a Master System, Genesis, and Saturn as well =)

Nomad is better as you can use your sega genesis and paly on the handheld which you can't do with gamegear. Plus when  i have over 100 sega genesis games which  benefits my nomad better then teh game gear.  In terms of grip , game gear is better as its not as big as Nomad .  Have you heard of atari lynx? that one was massive size for a handheld lol.  Most welcome. I also have SNES, the very first sega genesis and the one after that which then got attached to the mega CD  :D . Never got 32x sadly or the jaguar but did get teh aturn and dreamcast. My oldest brother got the  Neo Geo consile. The orignal one where teh catridges were so huge ! and you get arcade perfect fighting games hehe. Missed playing teh first sonic and before the title screen,, you press up up down , left right A start to activate cheat or the aladin abba abba aa start to skip level ! or the tiny toon password that unlocks all levels!

I was a Sega faithful from the SMS to the Dreamcast. Those days are over though. It's a nice thought though.

Around the Network
Assyrian612 said:
Ronster316 said:

Would be nice.

They could make retail games (if the handheld is packing enough power) like SEGA Rally 3 (SEGA Rally revo does not count, it was made by a bum studio, not their AM5 division) Shenmue 3, Jet Set Radio 3, Binary Domain 2, Virtua Fighter 6 ect.

They could also have a XBLA/PSN type store where you could buy sequels to classic 2D games (and keep them 2D of course), games like Streets of Rage 4, Shinobi 4, Kid Chameleon 2, Vectorman 3, Ristar 2 etc.

Either way, if they ever did come back in to the handheld or console fray, i would support them 100% just like i have done since 1991.

Exactly, You and I agree 100%. I think Shenmue 3 might be a little harder to get developed in terms of Sega taking risks, the rest is plausible. I really hope Shenmue 3 is a reality just in general, but that's a story for another discussion. I would support Sega 100% too, I love knowing there's still Sega loyal fans around these days =)

Rare breed we are, good to see another SEGA fan here on VGC.

My loyalty to SEGA is for life.

Shenmue, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are all likely to remain in my top 5 games of all time until the day i pass on.

Will a game ever knock Shenmue off its perch as my number 1 game of all time?............ highly unlikely.

Don't know why, but I have sorta 'nostalgia crush' on Sega. I doubt they'd rejoin the market, but if so, great! Then I'm gonna buy 2 Handheld consoles every generation.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Unfortunately, I doubt they will enter the market. The home consoles market is too competitive today, while the handheld has less companies. One problem in entering is that Nintendo always generated massive numbers there, while GG never got to much of a chance. Sony already did good numbers with the PSP and the Vita with their current Japanese numbers will probably double the original GG numbers.

Despite that, if they did I would buy it without hesitation, day 1. They just shouldn't call it Game Gear, it was a more 90's name and it wasn't as succesful as they wished. If Sega returns to the hardware scene, they should make clear that their new devices are a different approach compared to their old ones, show us a new Sega.

The Vita would be in serious trouble if a Game Gear 2 would come out!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Assyrian612 said:
novasonic said:
Well.. The Game Gear ate 6 AA batteries in 2 hours and had an insanely high failure rate.. If they can fix those two things then I'm game.

Haha well I think lithium ion is the standard now, so battery life is an easy fix. Would you be happy with a Sega vs Nintendo handheld rivalry?

Sure why not? I love Sega. I have most of their consoles. All I'm missing is Nomad, CD, and 32x. Also.. I couldn't help but notice someone here saying they're not too big. So.. here's a couple comparisons. It's a giant even compared to the 3DSXL!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m