By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Sega handheld market topic (Game Gear 2)

Should Sega return in the handheld market with Game Gear 2?

Yes, I love Sega!!! 39 28.06%

Yes, only if it was a two way race 2 1.44%

Yes, if the Vita is discontinued 9 6.47%

Yes, Sega's Ip's could flourish again 5 3.60%

No, Sega has lost it's identity 31 22.30%

No, Sega can't compete against Nintendo 39 28.06%

Yes, because Sega does what Nintendon't ;) 14 10.07%

Total:139
ToxicJosh said:
No way.

1) Currently Sega do well publishing games as a 3rd party. They cannot function as both a 1st party publisher and HW developer and a 3rd party publisher. 3rd party releases would both detract from 1st party resources and cannibalise HW sales.

Even if said HW was a portable and received the same games as consoles, releasing games as a 3rd party as well would negate the consumers need to buy the Sega handheld. Aside from the few remaining Sega hardcore fans, no one would buy the handheld.

This leaves them with the option of only 1st party on their HW. This puts all their eggs into one basket, business wise this would be incredibly risky and would dramatically decrease their potential market. They are successful at the moment, they don't need to take the risk.

2) Nintendo has too much of a grip on the HH market. And more to the point, Sega does well on Nintendo platforms.

3) To be blunt, Sega games aren't good enough to carry a platform.

1) I agree, that is smart business especially for Sega

2) I agree

3) I completely disagree, Sega has an untouched library. When used correctly they had the market share lead during the Genesis era.

Around the Network

@Assyrian -- Thats Ninja gaiden 3. The manual for the game is comic in a shape of a poster .Yep its batman returns. Similar style to Streets of rage. If you looks close theres also rygar . The arcade version back in the day ,, before they released another version on ps2. Thanks!> Trying to keep it as mint as i can. Never know what i tmay worth in the near future. Don't think the person whom i bought it from ever used it. i only used to try the new games. I am still looking for atari lynx 1 as the one you see is atari Lynx 2.

dane007 said:
@Assyrian -- Thats Ninja gaiden 3. The manual for the game is comic in a shape of a poster .Yep its batman returns. Similar style to Streets of rage. If you looks close theres also rygar . The arcade version back in the day ,, before they released another version on ps2. Thanks!> Trying to keep it as mint as i can. Never know what i tmay worth in the near future. Don't think the person whom i bought it from ever used it. i only used to try the new games. I am still looking for atari lynx 1 as the one you see is atari Lynx 2.

Very very nice collection, so are you collecting consoles just for collection purposes or do you play them? I have a lot of collections too, I have some sealed Dreamcast games, and my Sega Sports Dreamcast was brand new, ubt I had to relive that moment of unboxing a brand new Dreamcast lol =P

@Assyrian -- Old school collectibles like the atari , nomad and gamegear i just collect. i do play to test it works and to test the game si get for it. I might get an itch to play some oldcshool games but thast rare. I only played my atari lynx twice since i bought it. Oooh keep those sealed!I know some dreamcast games are ultra rare and can be sold for thousands of dollars or at leats hundreds of dollars. I have my dreamcast which works but no modem XD. I living in malaysai that time,, and one day there was rain and small thunder. didn't think it was dangerous so kept on playing PSO. After 5 mins,, 1 lightning flash came. I quickly sawitched it off and unplug everything. after the storm stopped ,, plug it all back to play PSO and foudn otu modem stopped working lol. Could never find a replacement after that day as it was never sold again. Would love to go to japan to buy another dreamcast with its box :). IMO Dreamcast was one of the best consoles at that time. I found it to be better then ps1 and even was more powerful. Sadly it didn't last. Do you have an original copy of Shenmue ? My goal before i i die,, is to own every consoles since it all started and all teh games that came out for each of those consoles. That also includes handhelds!.

PlayMatt said:
What makes you think SEGA would do better then SONY against Nintendo? It has always lost to Nintendo, never had a hit handheld like SONY had the PSP... SEGA flopped for years if you compare it's standards with SONY, PS Vita is the first flop console from SONY, and I don't think they should drop out of handheld market, they need it to stay relevant in JAPAN

Sega's market performance is more similar to MS historically. Anyway, Sega didn't flopped the Mega Drive/Genesis, but the mistakes started on Saturn. The Dreamcast wasn't a bad idea, it was just rushed out because of the failure of the Saturn and Sega's financials weren't good enough at the time to keep it going against the PS2. The problem with the handheld market is that Nintendo is too strong there and Sony did good numbers with the PSP and the Vita, even if not like the PSP, will still outsell easily all other handhelds in history (you can even sum their sales and they won't catch it).

Home console market probably is a better deal. MS is doing mistakes and losing share, Nintendo is weak since N64, it's a market that supports more successfull players at the same time and were Sega has way more experience.

Around the Network
Assyrian612 said:
Nem said:

From a business pov sonys exit of the portable market may be an opportunity in japan, but i dont think sega has the strengths to make it a sucess.

Old SEGA might have pulled it off but the new company is just a shell of what it used to be, with 9 disions beeing reduced with the times to about 3. pso2, yakuza, sonic teams. The rest is outsourced.

So, the potential exists, but old sega doesnt.

Thank you for your input, I agree 100% except I do believe Sega has the strength to pull it off. The only issue is their will to do it, and currently as you said it's just a shell of it's former self. I still support them, because they are my childhood memories that made me the gamer I am today. That's why I still cling on hope for a Sega rising even if the candle is faint.

Oh, believe me, i understand. I have a love story with old Sega and my heart was broken when they went down. 

I still think old sega is the best first party that ever was. I loved almost all of their games and i still think it was ahuge loss to the games market.

As much as i wish they would return, we have to understand that the new company is more Sammy than Sega and the talent all left. Even Yu suzuki wich brought so much money to sega with AM2, probably Sega's best development team, not to mention Yuji naka are beeing wasted away in a small team that hardly has budget to make games or occupy irrelevant honorary positions.

Realisticly speaking, the only way i see old SEGA beeing revived is if Nintendo buys them and brings back some of the talent.