By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Sega handheld market topic (Game Gear 2)

Should Sega return in the handheld market with Game Gear 2?

Yes, I love Sega!!! 39 28.06%

Yes, only if it was a two way race 2 1.44%

Yes, if the Vita is discontinued 9 6.47%

Yes, Sega's Ip's could flourish again 5 3.60%

No, Sega has lost it's identity 31 22.30%

No, Sega can't compete against Nintendo 39 28.06%

Yes, because Sega does what Nintendon't ;) 14 10.07%

Total:139

If SEGA does decide to do that they will need a kick-ass lineup and appeal to casuals and nostalgia fanatics. Wouldn't mind having a new handheld but it's never gonna happen.

Consoles: 3DS, Wii U, and Vita soon. Super Paper Mario fan.

Around the Network
Assyrian612 said:

Well considering how much of a failure the Vita is in terms of sales, a bow out fo the handheld market for Sony wouldn't surprise me. Nintendo would be left with all that market share to itself, wouldn't someone want to give them a run? I think with Sega's commitment to mobile gaming growing a handheld entrance for them would be perfect. They already still develop arcade boards so a handheld console shouldn't be a problem. It's just the risk for them, but you're right even if they did the name has to be different. What should they call it?

They have a much better financial situation now, it only depends on their interest alone. About the name, that's a hard call. But I'm sure they could come with something fresh. A lot of people ask for a "Dreamcast 2", but in a similar way as the handheld, I believe Sega shouldn't name a console (or handheld) like a past one. It's more than a gen without their hardware, they shoud choose something that shows the world that they will do something different from the last time. Unfortunately, their last entrants on both home and handheld devices weren't a success. Using an old name is just a way to relate a new product with an old one that had its problems. Something fresh.

dane007 said:
@Novasonic Ah kk nice. Ah fair enough at least it can get fixed. If you are looking for a NOMAD,, your're best bet is EBAY. Thats where i got mine in mint condition. From memory there were quite a few selling there. However its quite pricy. I paid close to 200 US dollars for it. Game with 6 games, battery pack holder and a adapter. I would say same for atari lynx. Ebay should have it. I was lucky enought to get mine of Trademe which is the nz version of ebay lol. Hahah awesome goal. I am trying to do that as well. its one very expensive hobby to do as well !. How far are you with reaching that goal?

Last time I counted, I was around 28 consoles and 260 games.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

@novasonic ---- Wow impressive stuff!. Wish i still had my ps1 games and ps2 games. had close to 1k if not at least 1k lol

Assyrian612 said:
Ronster316 said:
Assyrian612 said:
Ronster316 said:

Would be nice.

They could make retail games (if the handheld is packing enough power) like SEGA Rally 3 (SEGA Rally revo does not count, it was made by a bum studio, not their AM5 division) Shenmue 3, Jet Set Radio 3, Binary Domain 2, Virtua Fighter 6 ect.

They could also have a XBLA/PSN type store where you could buy sequels to classic 2D games (and keep them 2D of course), games like Streets of Rage 4, Shinobi 4, Kid Chameleon 2, Vectorman 3, Ristar 2 etc.

Either way, if they ever did come back in to the handheld or console fray, i would support them 100% just like i have done since 1991.

Exactly, You and I agree 100%. I think Shenmue 3 might be a little harder to get developed in terms of Sega taking risks, the rest is plausible. I really hope Shenmue 3 is a reality just in general, but that's a story for another discussion. I would support Sega 100% too, I love knowing there's still Sega loyal fans around these days =)

Rare breed we are, good to see another SEGA fan here on VGC.

My loyalty to SEGA is for life.

Shenmue, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are all likely to remain in my top 5 games of all time until the day i pass on.

Will a game ever knock Shenmue off its perch as my number 1 game of all time?............ highly unlikely.

I really do hope we get Shenmue 3, I don't even care anymore for which console.. Just let Yu Suzuki finish that series already.. It's a master piece and of a game and sadly was left in a cliff hanger in that freaking cave....... Out of all places a cave lol. I noticed you have Shinobi on your avatar, have you played the 3DS Shinobi released a few years ago?

Been busy at work tonight, so only just got some proper peace and quiet hence the late reply.

Yeah, i played Shinobi for 3DS, fairly tough game, but very rewarding when you pull off the perfect parry and kick some arse.

Also loved the section they devoted to the history of Shinobi, and the Main theme music of the game is FOOKING EPIC...!!!!!

Around the Network

Sega is done. They left the console/handheld market in 2001 with the inevitable fail of the Dreamcast. Proves that you shouldn't invest all your time into one series. Too bad Sega console sales weren't as fast as Sonic :(

193-2001 Long live the Sega console empire

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

From a business pov sonys exit of the portable market may be an opportunity in japan, but i dont think sega has the strengths to make it a sucess.

Old SEGA might have pulled it off but the new company is just a shell of what it used to be, with 9 disions beeing reduced with the times to about 3. pso2, yakuza, sonic teams. The rest is outsourced.

So, the potential exists, but old sega doesnt.

Assyrian612 said:

Yeah that thing is huge lol, y'know I still like the design of the Game Gear.. It's not bad at all, if only it were smaller I'd love it. The design of it screams handheld gaming, well 90's gaming lol can't see people walking around with that anymore. Very nice collection though, you seem to be a really big handheld gamer. No PS Vita yet?

@novasonic as well  . This is Atari Lynx Mint condition : 

What makes you think SEGA would do better then SONY against Nintendo? It has always lost to Nintendo, never had a hit handheld like SONY had the PSP... SEGA flopped for years if you compare it's standards with SONY, PS Vita is the first flop console from SONY, and I don't think they should drop out of handheld market, they need it to stay relevant in JAPAN

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

I really liked my Game Gear and had many great games for it. But yes, it really ate batteries...