By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your least favorite Mario Kart game?

Tagged games:

Least favorite Mario Kart game?

Super Mario Kart 54 13.85%

Mario Kart 64 44 11.28%

Super Circuit 104 26.67%

Double Dash 68 17.44%

Mario Kart DS 31 7.95%

Mario Kart Wii 66 16.92%

Mario Kart 7 21 5.38%

Total:388

I've played Super Mario Kart, 64, DS, Wii, and 7. Super Mario Kart is the worst. It's unplayable for me since It's like there should be dual screens on the game and the 3D/2D graphics really annoying the crap out of me.

Around the Network
coasterlove said:
I loved Mario Kart 64 and I don't understand how anyone didn't like that game.

Well, the rubberband AI can get pretty damn annoying at times....But I still think it's a good game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wow i did NOT expected, that so many vote for Super Mario Kart.
In my opinion it is the best MK so far.

I voted for Super Circuit but have to admit i played it maybe 10 hours or so only.

Super Circuit was easily the worst version of the Mario Kart franchise. The biggest issue was of course the hardware the game was on: you needed multiple GameBoy Advances and Link Cables to play any sort of multiplayer (and even then it wasn't exactly an ideal gaming experience). The tracks were flat, one dimensional, dull and it just felt like a step backwards for the series.

Not that it was a bad game, but it was just held back by the system it was on.

Lol about the rubber-band AI in MK64.

It was very well possible to finish a race a minute ahead of the #2, people having problems were probably just not good enough !

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Lol about the rubber-band AI in MK64.

It was very well possible to finish a race a minute ahead of the #2, people having problems were probably just not good enough !

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RubberBandAI

The most blatant instance is Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64, which has a shortcut that can literally skip 40% of the course (which is, to this date, the longest course in the game series's history). Even if you hit said shortcut on all three laps, the computer is still able to catch you on the last lap.

• By turning on the map-view in Mario Kart 64 it's possible to watch opponents suddenly accelerate to unrealistic speed when they are far behind or ahead. Allow a single CPU driver to get too far ahead in 150cc and they'll reach the finish line in times no human player, even drifting experts, can finish in.

curl-6 said:
coasterlove said:

I didn't appreciate the enemy being up my arse like an enema regardless of how well I drove because of the horrible rubber band AI. 

There was some rubberbanding but not as mad as others in the series or many other racing games in general. So many other games that are meant to be fairly realistic feature it and then it drives me nuts because the slightest mistake and a car that was 10-15 seconds behind me will blow by me and it's nuts. With Mario Kart 64, it's meant just for fun and the weapons add so much variety to it. Also, Mario Kart 64 was still fairly easy to beat even on 150cc. So I never found rubberbanding to be that much of an issue in that game but just my opinion.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

coasterlove said:
curl-6 said:
coasterlove said:

I didn't appreciate the enemy being up my arse like an enema regardless of how well I drove because of the horrible rubber band AI. 

There was some rubberbanding but not as mad as others in the series or many other racing games in general. So many other games that are meant to be fairly realistic feature it and then it drives me nuts because the slightest mistake and a car that was 10-15 seconds behind me will blow by me and it's nuts. With Mario Kart 64, it's meant just for fun and the weapons add so much variety to it. Also, Mario Kart 64 was still fairly easy to beat even on 150cc. So I never found rubberbanding to be that much of an issue in that game but just my opinion.

I also think the handling in the series was crap up until MKWii. Haven't played the portables, but SMK, MK64, and DD all handled like arse; so slippery and loose.

Such an easy question.

Mario Kart Wii is by FAR the worst Mario Kart ever, and the game that made me lose interest in the series alltogether. The same goes for Super Smash Bros Brawl, the Mario Party games on Wii and Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Wii is basically the console that made me part with Nintendo, after 20 years of owning only Nintendo consoles (apart from PS2, which was a very rare case). They will never win me back either.

Smeags said:

Super Circuit was easily the worst version of the Mario Kart franchise. The biggest issue was of course the hardware the game was on: you needed multiple GameBoy Advances and Link Cables to play any sort of multiplayer (and even then it wasn't exactly an ideal gaming experience). The tracks were flat, one dimensional, dull and it just felt like a step backwards for the series.

Not that it was a bad game, but it was just held back by the system it was on.

You can't really use handheld vs home console advantages as arguments when comparing games since it applies to all games and goes both ways. As for the bolded part, it was the same in Super Mario Kart, but Super Mario Kart has half as many tracks.