By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your least favorite Mario Kart game?

Tagged games:

Least favorite Mario Kart game?

Super Mario Kart 54 13.85%

Mario Kart 64 44 11.28%

Super Circuit 104 26.67%

Double Dash 68 17.44%

Mario Kart DS 31 7.95%

Mario Kart Wii 66 16.92%

Mario Kart 7 21 5.38%

Total:388

I thought Double Dash was dreadful...
I really didn't care for MKWii much either, but Double Dash was definitely the low point of Mario Kart for me...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network
radishhead said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
radishhead said:
Double Dash controlled terribly

???

Double Dash has the best controls as far as I'm concerned.
 - MK, SS & DS require you to steer with a d-pad = not good.
 - MK, 64 & SS aren't in full 3D = kart doesn't feel connected to the road.
 - Wii had to accomodate the accellerometer based steering, which is good but meant using a control stick felt less responsive.

Not having played MK7 (or used a 3DS) I don't know how good the circle pad feels compared to a proper control stick so not sure on that one, but all other Mario Karts are automatically inferior to DD in controls due to the above.

The Karts felt so heavy and drifting wasn't as tight as in other games

I agree, there was just something weird about the powerslide in DD.  It didn't feel right to me.  And the Wii version controlled much better, at least with the analogue stick anyway.  The worst things about DD to me, were a lot of really weak tracks and the fact that it just felt waaaay toooooo slooooooooow, even on 150cc. 

What I did really like about the game was the character specific items.  I thought that was a really cool spin on the series.

archbrix said:
radishhead said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
radishhead said:
Double Dash controlled terribly

???

Double Dash has the best controls as far as I'm concerned.
 - MK, SS & DS require you to steer with a d-pad = not good.
 - MK, 64 & SS aren't in full 3D = kart doesn't feel connected to the road.
 - Wii had to accomodate the accellerometer based steering, which is good but meant using a control stick felt less responsive.

Not having played MK7 (or used a 3DS) I don't know how good the circle pad feels compared to a proper control stick so not sure on that one, but all other Mario Karts are automatically inferior to DD in controls due to the above.

The Karts felt so heavy and drifting wasn't as tight as in other games

I agree, there was just something weird about the powerslide in DD.  It didn't feel right to me.  And the Wii version controlled much better, at least with the analogue stick anyway.  The worst things about DD to me, were a lot of really weak tracks and the fact that it just felt waaaay toooooo slooooooooow, even on 150cc. 

What I did really like about the game was the character specific items.  I thought that was a really cool spin on the series.

Hmm, I'll partially agree on the power slide (I think it was mainly that it took a lot longer to activate)

The DD track selection though is probably my favourite (at least if you look at new tracks only)

Luigi Circuit isn't totally boring like usual. Wario Colosseum, Sherbet Land, Mario Circuit, Yoshi Circuit & Dry Dry Desert are all decent tracks. Dino Jungle, Rainbow Road & Waluigi Stadium are great tracks. And DK Mountain, Bowser's Castle & Baby Park are epic tracks (though baby park isn't exactly spectacularly designed)

Sadly, the GBA version, Super Circuit. Although the tracks are nice and creative, the controls, in my opinion, are horrendous...

I hated Super Circuit and Super Mario Kart

Around the Network
RCTjunkie said:
I'm sad a lot of people didn't like the Wii version, especially when the complaints seem unwarranted to me.....

I have a feeling a lot of people picked that version simply because it was on the Wii.  It's just a general magnet for undeserved hatred.

Played 'em all. I think I still own 'em all! Anyway, the popular opinion is probably Super Circuit for the GBA but I was extremely disappointed by MK64. I swear by all that is virtuous that Crash Team Racing was the game that MK64 SHOULD have been. Anybody that's played both at the time will likely agree.

HigHurtenflurst said:
archbrix said:

Hmm, I'll partially agree on the power slide (I think it was mainly that it took a lot longer to activate)

The DD track selection though is probably my favourite (at least if you look at new tracks only)

Luigi Circuit isn't totally boring like usual. Wario Colosseum, Sherbet Land, Mario Circuit, Yoshi Circuit & Dry Dry Desert are all decent tracks. Dino Jungle, Rainbow Road & Waluigi Stadium are great tracks. And DK Mountain, Bowser's Castle & Baby Park are epic tracks (though baby park isn't exactly spectacularly designed)

To each their own, I say.  I do agree that DK mountain was great.  That was definitely my favorite track in the game.  Baby Park I didn't care for at all though, other than it was a great course for newcomers to practice their powersliding.

I haven't played it in a long while but I remember the game just seemed slower than other MKs, which did really bug me, but to be fair it came out the same year as F-Zero GX, so that may have had something to do with it, lol.

I still really like the game, though.  Except for Super Circuit (which was do to the limited tech more than anything) I've never disliked any Mario Kart game.

d21lewis said:
Played 'em all. I think I still own 'em all! Anyway, the popular opinion is probably Super Circuit for the GBA but I was extremely disappointed by MK64. I swear by all that is virtuous that Crash Team Racing was the game that MK64 SHOULD have been. Anybody that's played both at the time will likely agree.

CTR certainly had its advantages (most notably better level design) but I still had more fun with MK64 (aside from the damn cheating, rubber-band AI).

Diddy Kong Racing left them both in the dust.

Double Dash!