By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLoU PS4 turns the graphics up to 11

daredevil.shark said:
the-pi-guy said:
daredevil.shark said:

My issue is not with the cut scene recording. My issue is with the quality of those cutscenes. ND and santa monica recorded those cutscenes in a powerful pc and labeled them as ps3 graphics

Lol.

I never noticed the difference in quality b/w TLOUs cutscenes and its gameplay, I need a side by side comparison tbh

At the same time I don't really remember that many cutscense tbh.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

daredevil.shark said:

walsufnir said:
daredevil.shark said:
Wright said:
daredevil.shark said:
GribbleGrunger said:

What sort of perverted logic is this? It's a cut scene. Who gives a damn if it's in real time or not? All you need to be know is that the in game graphics (WHICH ARE REAL TIME) are going to be of the same quality as the cut scenes.

You guys still dont get it? Cutscenes were recorded in a powerful PC with better poly count and anti alising. They dont represent actual game graphics. Actual game graphics is worse than the cutscenes. I am glad infamous second son didnt cheated me in this regard.

Max Payne 3 cutscenes were real time, but loading times suffered a lot because of it. You would have to sink like ten minutes of a cutscene that you had already seen just for the game to finish loading the next gameplay section :/

Though if someone shot Max, the guy would appear injured in the cutscene, which was cool.

I know. I played maxpayne 3 in ps3. But what ND and santa monica did was deceiving. Bumping graphics for the cutscenes are not acceptable. That is my main issue.

I somehow agree with you. Especially when the game is not released and we get to see videos of those cutscenes and people think it's actually real-time graphics which they are, of course, not. Many studios do this, yes, but somehow I think we are decepted and fall for it every time... This is why I am always skeptical and call out "bullshot" every time I see it.

Agreed. Someone might say I am not a true ps gamer because I am critising them. I just like to stick with the truth.

What? If criticizing is not allowed by a "true" ps gamer this puts a bad light on a whole community! But I think that's what fans do - not letting others criticize their beloved product and especially, don't say *anything* positive about the competitor. We have a lot of these examples in our vgchartz community and I think that's really sad that people can't "jump over their shadow" (that's a german speaking to express that people should dare new things ;) ).

It looks like a phrase commonly used to represent the idea. I initially thought whether it had to anything with Direct X 11.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
daredevil.shark said:
the-pi-guy said:
daredevil.shark said:

My issue is not with the cut scene recording. My issue is with the quality of those cutscenes. ND and santa monica recorded those cutscenes in a powerful pc and labeled them as ps3 graphics

Lol.

I never noticed the difference in quality b/w TLOUs cutscenes and its gameplay, I need a side by side comparison tbh

At the same time I don't really remember that many cutscense tbh.

Play uncharted 2 or 3 co op. Those small cut scenes are rendered in real time. And compared to recorded onces of single player mode they are quite ugly.

daredevil.shark said:
DonFerrari said:
daredevil.shark said:
torok said:
daredevil.shark said:
What about cutscenes? Real time? Or recorded?

Recorded. They load the game behind the cutscenes. 

Then I will pass. ND and santa monica deceived me with "bumped" graphics for the cutscenes in ps3. I wont fall for it again.

ND confirmed the game doesn't load behind cutscene since you can jump all the cgs without any hiccup. But cgs will probably be recorded.

My issue is not with the cut scene recording. My issue is with the quality of those cutscenes. ND and santa monica recorded those cutscenes in a powerful pc and labeled them as ps3 graphics.

I wasn't answering about the cutscene being better than in game (which is quite common since at least ffvii) just about independent of recorded, pre-rendered or live it isn't a cover for loading time (as mentioned by the other poster)... I actually always loved those eye candies cgi (and considered how in game graphics will be next-gen) and hate the qte some devs put that prevent me from fapping.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
GribbleGrunger said:
daredevil.shark said:
torok said:
daredevil.shark said:

Then I will pass. ND and santa monica deceived me with "bumped" graphics for the cutscenes in ps3. I wont fall for it again.

What sort of perverted logic is this? It's a cut scene. Who gives a damn if it's in real time or not? All you need to be know is that the in game graphics (WHICH ARE REAL TIME) are going to be of the same quality as the cut scenes.

You guys still dont get it? Cutscenes were recorded in a powerful PC with better poly count and anti alising. They dont represent actual game graphics. Actual game graphics is worse than the cutscenes. I am glad infamous second son didnt cheated me in this regard.

I actually have the opposite viewpoint to you. Much of this last generation ps3 games had the same game rendered cut scenes as 360 because Microsoft had some clause that prevented games have additional or improved content on other formats compared to 360. So the majority of ps3 games were actually similar size to the 360 versions. However the ps3 has huge capacity discs and could have had hours of pre-rendered 1080p cut scenes created by state of the art top end PC's.  I would of much prefered that. Yes I know that means  that movie sequences and actual game graphics would have been very different but I would prefer the greater visual quality. Many such ps3 games especially japanese games have that on ps3. I'm happy for the ps4 also have pre-rendered cut scenes. Which ever looks nicer basically.

DonFerrari said:
daredevil.shark said:
DonFerrari said:
daredevil.shark said:
torok said:
daredevil.shark said:

ND confirmed the game doesn't load behind cutscene since you can jump all the cgs without any hiccup. But cgs will probably be recorded.

My issue is not with the cut scene recording. My issue is with the quality of those cutscenes. ND and santa monica recorded those cutscenes in a powerful pc and labeled them as ps3 graphics.

I wasn't answering about the cutscene being better than in game (which is quite common since at least ffvii) just about independent of recorded, pre-rendered or live it isn't a cover for loading time (as mentioned by the other poster)... I actually always loved those eye candies cgi (and considered how in game graphics will be next-gen) and hate the qte some devs put that prevent me from fapping.

Hmmm.

bonzobanana said:
daredevil.shark said:
GribbleGrunger said:
daredevil.shark said:
torok said:
daredevil.shark said:

I actually have the opposite viewpoint to you. Much of this last generation ps3 games had the same game rendered cut scenes as 360 because Microsoft had some clause that prevented games have additional or improved content on other formats compared to 360. So the majority of ps3 games were actually similar size to the 360 versions. However the ps3 has huge capacity discs and could have had hours of pre-rendered 1080p cut scenes created by state of the art top end PC's.  I would of much prefered that. Yes I know that means  that movie sequences and actual game graphics would have been very different but I would prefer the greater visual quality. Many such ps3 games especially japanese games have that on ps3. I'm happy for the ps4 also have pre-rendered cut scenes. Which ever looks nicer basically.

Taste depends on people. I like real time rendering. There was a time when CGI was important but in modern time they have lost their importance.

EB1994 said:
pezus said:

I hope some of you know "goes to eleven" is actually an expression of speech. Talk about talking things literally...

So the graphics aren't an 11?

Pre order cancelled Screw Naughty Dog oh my god Sony lied to me.

That's the spirit, boy!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I watched the tiny bit of PS4 footage they showed and it did not hold a candle to the graphics from inFAMOUS: Second Son. Even Tomb Raider Definitive Edition looked substantially better.

This is because The Last of Us has a more "drawn" look to the backgrounds, so they look unrealistic, while in Second Son the buildings in distance/background are all real part of the game world that you can go to, and they look great from a distance as well as up close.

I still think TLOU is a good looking game, but I am not seeing anything that justifies a $60 upgrade.