By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft hanging on to kinect so much?

What is your favorite game of all time?

Bastion 6 10.71%

To The Moon 7 12.50%

Don't Starve 5 8.93%

See Results 37 66.07%

Total:55
fps_d0minat0r said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
While I am critical of the actual Kinect hardware (the technology is way too expensive for the little value it actually brings to gaming), I can easily understand why they keep it mandatory:

Kinect is pretty much the only unique, stand-out feature that the Xbone has. Remove Kinect, what remains? A console that feature-wise hardly differs from the PS4 at all, but has more disadvantages (less powerful etc.). Who would choose that console over a PS4, apart from a rather small group of Xbox platform fans?

Price would be pretty much the only way to counter the customer's feeling that the PS4 is the better deal, and price wars are not very healthy. Sure, Xbone also has some TV integration features. But from what I get so far, hardly anyone is actually using these features in practice. There are problems in 50Hz countries, it pretty much only makes sense for people with external cable boxes (which are only widespread in a few select countries like the US) and and and...

Well thats the point. If its weaker, MS have to make it cheaper.

The market for a weaker console at a cheaper price (with camera optional) surely must be larger than a weaker console bundled with a camera at a higher price.

Well is that so? I don't know...

I suppose that the manufacturing costs of a PS4 actually hardly differ from the manufacturing costs of a Xbox One WITHOUT Kinect. If that assumption is correct, I would suppose that if Microsoft reduced the price and significantly increased their market share, Sony would simply reduce the price as well.

I'm clearly not an expert at marketing, but I would assume that only being slightly cheaper isn't a very viable strategy, especially in a market that is so "emotional" like video game consoles...

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Eh, i actually think kinect is part of a bigger plan, something to do with a vr device...

I would say that the plan it more than just VR or AR.  MS also have the personal Assistant that they will be bringing out (Siri wanabe) which will tie into their Kinect experience.

The problem with MS is that they put the cart before the horse.  All the services and tech that will go along with Kinect to create this experience they are looking for is probably years away.  Right now early sales and marketshare probably not their biggest concern as they probably believe they can provide a complete experience later down the line to pick up sales.  Both the PS4 and X1 will be on the market for a long time.  MS probably feel the value of the X1 will become much better as they improve on the console and bring out the services to integrate with Kinect to offer their vision of a living room experience.

Because they spent a lot of money on it and now the consumers have to cover costs :)

pbroy said:
The UI and experience. Also it's their stepping stone into a cheaper VR experience, Project Fortaleza. Remember that roadmap that was leaked a long time ago?

Really? That actually factored into their thinking when deciding to sell an expensive camera with  their console?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kitler53 said:

for the same reason sony hung onto bluray so bad.

they think they have a long term strategy and long term profit potential.  they have invested soo much money into the project they feel like they need to make it successful by any means necessary to justify that investment.

Just like the Xbox.

However, now they have a conflict of interest. Xbox or Kinect.

Please explain what you mean by that doctor?

Around the Network
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:
The UI and experience. Also it's their stepping stone into a cheaper VR experience, Project Fortaleza. Remember that roadmap that was leaked a long time ago?

Really? That actually factored into their thinking when deciding to sell an expensive camera with  their console?

No, I'm making it up...

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Shaunaka said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kitler53 said:

for the same reason sony hung onto bluray so bad.

they think they have a long term strategy and long term profit potential.  they have invested soo much money into the project they feel like they need to make it successful by any means necessary to justify that investment.

Just like the Xbox.

However, now they have a conflict of interest. Xbox or Kinect.

Please explain what you mean by that doctor?

MS has so heavily invested in the Xbox Platform, that it is unlikely that even with investor dislike they would scrap/sell it off, unless we swa worldwide market failure. In fact, if the 360 didn't turn over significant US marketshare, I doubt X1 would've been attempted.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

That's a great strategy, shame the only way they can show those Fortaleza glasses is as a drawing. So people, better buy Kinect now for $500, you will be able to experience VR as early as 2017.

Because they rebuilt the Kinect to work with the Xbox One UI. Microsoft wouldn't like for the fancy gesture control and voice command to go to waste that easily. Also, the new Kinect has implemented new technology, so they need to make a profit on it first. Yeah, Microsoft may have a ton of money, but they can't just drop the device and lose money on it. I don't see them dropping it yet. A year and a half, maybe.

pbroy said:
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:

No, I'm making it up...

So they're launching those glasses this year eh.

Come on man, those are concept ideas. I have some concept ideas in a scrapbook but I can't pay artists to make them as nice looking as these. This wasn't what they banked on and everyone knows it.