By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft hanging on to kinect so much?

What is your favorite game of all time?

Bastion 6 10.71%

To The Moon 7 12.50%

Don't Starve 5 8.93%

See Results 37 66.07%

Total:55

MS sufferes from A.C.I.S

Anal Cranal Inversion Syndrome when it comes to kinect.

Around the Network

Remember the headlines? Fastest selling consumer device in history or whatever? Yeah. Good times.

because they invested a ton of money in it, they cant give it up even if they wanted to.

kinect don't make good games.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
bananaking21 said:

After the massive success on kinect on xbox 360, i can understand why microsoft wanted kinect 2.0 to be a big part of the xbox one. but now, after the launch of the XB1, and the results of how both the PS4 and XB1 are performing, you gotta ask yourself, is kinect really worth it? Xbox has lost UK and USA to PlayStation, the two biggest markets for Xbox. but removing kinect could result in a price drop to 399$ or even 349$. which can drastically change the sales of the Xbox One.

is Kinect really that valuable? and why are Microsoft still hanging on to it? 

" removing kinect could result in a price drop to 399$ or even 349$. which can drastically change the sales of the Xbox One." Why do you think it's so easy to remove Kinect? They invest millions in that piece of hardware + OS, they aren't making a lot of cash with the software, because it's getting bad reviews. If this was all so easy, why didn't Microsoft remove it?

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

The UI and experience. Also it's their stepping stone into a cheaper VR experience, Project Fortaleza. Remember that roadmap that was leaked a long time ago?

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network
AZWification said:
Pibituh said:

Because Kinnect is a hell of a sexy device. Wich other reason should it be ?

Too bad the games aren't as sexy as the Kinect!

They need to start making them more sexy then  D: Needs to be top priority ! 

Oh well, for the time being theres all the sexy streams  :>

They could could give it up if they wanted to they just have to much pride in it, and refuse to realize it's a stupid device.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Kinect just needs another Dance Central.

Same reason Nintendo hung on to the Wii name--it succeeded before. And at this point, it's what gives the console an identity.

While I am critical of the actual Kinect hardware (the technology is way too expensive for the little value it actually brings to gaming), I can easily understand why they keep it mandatory:

Kinect is pretty much the only unique, stand-out feature that the Xbone has. Remove Kinect, what remains? A console that feature-wise hardly differs from the PS4 at all, but has more disadvantages (less powerful etc.). Who would choose that console over a PS4, apart from a rather small group of Xbox platform fans?

Price would be pretty much the only way to counter the customer's feeling that the PS4 is the better deal, and price wars are not very healthy. Sure, Xbone also has some TV integration features. But from what I get so far, hardly anyone is actually using these features in practice. There are problems in 50Hz countries, it pretty much only makes sense for people with external cable boxes (which are only widespread in a few select countries like the US) and and and...