By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is Microsoft hanging on to kinect so much?

What is your favorite game of all time?

Bastion 6 10.71%

To The Moon 7 12.50%

Don't Starve 5 8.93%

See Results 37 66.07%

Total:55
pbroy said:
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:
The UI and experience. Also it's their stepping stone into a cheaper VR experience, Project Fortaleza. Remember that roadmap that was leaked a long time ago?

Really? That actually factored into their thinking when deciding to sell an expensive camera with  their console?

No, I'm making it up...

They are pretty late considering Google Glass is already being tested in univesities, etc...

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

The Kinect was a fad like the Wii. Their popularity was destined to come and go until the next fad comes along. Microsoft forced bundled it to make a profit. Microsoft doesnt like products that dont make a profit that they invest heavily into. They are saying third parties have incentive to buy games for it but its not like its selling the console or anything.

pbroy said:

No, I'm making it up...

Another thing about these pics.

If you look at the initial reveal of Kinect - what it was supposed to do, and more importantly, the image they created of that product, NATAL, initially,

then you'd realize that something like this

which is at a waaaay more early-concept stage than Natal was when it was revealed

is never going to materialise in this way.

(you already have the dates on those pics that prove it)

Kinect 2.0 is awesome, most of the people who complain about it, never used it.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Shaunaka said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kitler53 said:

for the same reason sony hung onto bluray so bad.

they think they have a long term strategy and long term profit potential.  they have invested soo much money into the project they feel like they need to make it successful by any means necessary to justify that investment.

Just like the Xbox.

However, now they have a conflict of interest. Xbox or Kinect.

Please explain what you mean by that doctor?

MS has so heavily invested in the Xbox Platform, that it is unlikely that even with investor dislike they would scrap/sell it off, unless we swa worldwide market failure. In fact, if the 360 didn't turn over significant US marketshare, I doubt X1 would've been attempted.

I think the thought train with the comment you commented on is slightly disjoint.

But ok.

Around the Network
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:
The UI and experience. Also it's their stepping stone into a cheaper VR experience, Project Fortaleza. Remember that roadmap that was leaked a long time ago?

Really? That actually factored into their thinking when deciding to sell an expensive camera with  their console?

No, I'm making it up...

So they're launching those glasses this year eh.

Come on man, those are concept ideas. I have some concept ideas in a scrapbook but I can't pay artists to make them as nice looking as these. This wasn't what they banked on and everyone knows it.

It's a roadmap, of course it's concept ideas. Don't get me wrong, as a die-hard Sony fanboy myself, I want to see Xbone fail. Dropping Kinect would spell doom and be a PR nightmare that I want to see happen.
I really could care less what M$ does, I'm in love with Sony. Don't be jealous because I can think outside of my own bias.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:

No, I'm making it up...

If you look at the initial reveal of Kinect - what it was supposed to do, and more importantly, the image they created of that product, NATAL, initially,

which is at a waaaay more early-concept stage than Natal was when it was revealed

Still jealous...

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
pbroy said:
Shaunaka said:
pbroy said:

No, I'm making it up...

Still jealous...

Congratulations on your unique speculations I suppose.

(I thought you were serious)

pbroy said:

...as a die-hard Sony fanboy myself, I want to see Xbone fail. Dropping Kinect would spell doom and be a PR nightmare that I want to see happen.

Mkay. (assuming you're serious)

Well ok, let's be real here for a moment...

I want Sony to be very successful and *ahem* win too. Mainly because they are always doing cool tech things (see morpheus) and giving developers free reign (as they've almost always done) and also because I'd rather have my money go to a Japanese product than an American one. 

But hoping the Xbone "fail(s)"... I dunno. I suppose I'd have Nintendo be more successful than MS (for very obvious reasons) too, so I suppose a 20% marketshare for MS would be fine if I could control the universe. The original Xbox was awesome for me. I had it along with PS2 and GC (fun times). And 360 was fantastic until about 2010 when the Forza/Gears/Halo/Fable-is-all-your-gonna-get nonsense started. The whole Kinect thing made me dislike the brand. Kinect=/=Natal, i.e. MS lied. And they've lied since. And they'll lie again.

I actually dislike MS for reasons outside of their Xbox dept. Windows is the biggest scam pulled on humanity since the moonlanding - and I don't know if the moonlanding was a scam at all. Point is, companies, Universities and families spend BILLIONS of dollars for something that is free somewhere else... *Ubuntu* *cough* *Ubuntu*. And it would be fine, but then they make a new OS and sell it to people when the old one was perfectly fine. A mega corporation sitting in board meetings speculating how to increase revenue without actually offering the customer anything. And before anyone pulls the "all companies try to get your money" card, there's a MASSIVE difference between a hardware and a software company. (of course MS makes some hardware nowadays - I'm specifically referring to their OS which is just BS)

Ego's.