By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros: 3DS Summer; Wii U Winter

Isn't Winter Nov 25th onwards???

Edit - Oh hell I just checked, it's Dec 21st??!!

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

I dunno, I think they're playing clever. I think they've held back on announcing the extra feature for Wii U for a good reason, and I think that reason might be tied in with the fact that he teased interactivity between Wii U and 3DS, but wouldn't elaborate on it until 'a later date'. I think that they want as many people as possible to buy the 3DS version, and whatever they have up their sleeve will make the Wii U version a must-have for the 3DS version owners.

Most logical thing said here.  Too many people just going around calling Nintendo and/or whoever else idiots when it clearly isn't the case.  I also don't think too many people here are as aware that this game is more about selling its software than selling the hardware.  

curl-6 said:
DélioPT said:

Now i want to see how iwata is going to keep the wii u momentum in the west after mk 8.

He won't, that's the problem. He'll stick his fingers in his ears and yell "lalalalalalalala" pretending there isn't a problem while sales grind to a halt, because he's an incompetent moron.

With your Avatar I was waiting for you to scream Bayonetta 2 immediatly, I think they will have Bayonetta 2 for August-September, boxed version of NES Remix 1+2 for around the same month, boxed release of Wii Sports Club for october and you never know, something else like Hyrule Warrior also for October. Leaving Super Smash for November.

Winter 2014.
And he said they needed time for the amount of content. The Wii U version will probably have another unannounced game mode.

episteme said:
Winter 2014.
And he said they needed time for the amount of content. The Wii U version will probably have another unannounced game mode.

Agreed, we will be hearing much more about game modes for the Wii U version in the coming months; that's for sure.

I hope, anyway.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

The thing is, in a perfect world the order makes sense. The worse graphics, less definitive version first as a bit of a taster, and to ensure hardcore (well, moderately hardcore) fans will still get the handheld version even though they've got the home console.

But in reality, with context, we all know the Wii U needed this and the 3DS didn't, so this is a very questionable decision. Lots of potential buyers now in the position of already having a version of the game and not needing the Wii U to play it.

I can think of some reasons for this. Maybe the Wii U version needs more time, but they don't want to be seen delaying Smash Bros, so want to tide people over with the 3DS one. Maybe other Wii U games aren't ready, so they can't release Smash any earlier without having nothing for the holidays. 

I just hope that this doesn't hurt the Wii U as much as people are thinking. Maybe they can find a way to use 3DS smash to convince people to get it for a Wii U... doubtful, I know, but we can hope.

One thing I wouldn't be worried about is the 3DS being the definitive version, or getting more content with its unique game mode. I think it is clear the Wii U  version will be the definitive version, and I imagine the announcement of the 3DS  exclusive game mode is less about the 3DS having more than it is about the Wii U having something better that they haven't revealed yet. Of course, that won't matter for sales, as we all know having quality in games isn't enough, but for those that want to get the Wii U anyway need not worry about it getting neglected in terms of quality (I think).

Seece said:

Isn't Winter Nov 25th onwards???

Edit - Oh hell I just checked, it's Dec 21st??!!

Uh oh lol Smash Wii U Dec. 23rd confirmed!

RuRo said:

The thing is, in a perfect world the order makes sense. The worse graphics, less definitive version first as a bit of a taster, and to ensure hardcore (well, moderately hardcore) fans will still get the handheld version even though they've got the home console.

But in reality, with context, we all know the Wii U needed this and the 3DS didn't, so this is a very questionable decision. Lots of potential buyers now in the position of already having a version of the game and not needing the Wii U to play it.

I can think of some reasons for this. Maybe the Wii U version needs more time, but they don't want to be seen delaying Smash Bros, so want to tide people over with the 3DS one. Maybe other Wii U games aren't ready, so they can't release Smash any earlier without having nothing for the holidays. 

I just hope that this doesn't hurt the Wii U as much as people are thinking. Maybe they can find a way to use 3DS smash to convince people to get it for a Wii U... doubtful, I know, but we can hope.

One thing I wouldn't be worried about is the 3DS being the definitive version, or getting more content with its unique game mode. I think it is clear the With U version will be the definitive version, and I imagine the announcement of the 3DS  exclusive game mode is less about the 3DS having more than it is about the Wii U having something better that they haven't revealed yet. Of course, that won't matter for sales, as we all know having quality in games isn't enough, but for those that want to get the Wii U anyway need not worry about it getting neglected in terms of quality (I think).

Honestly, the 3DS version coming out first was something I was already fully expecting back when they said that the versions probably wont release at the same time.  Why would they decide not to hold the 3DS version and release them simultaneously?  Well, I think #1 they want to hold onto their 2014 release statement.  #2 This can lead to higher software sales #3 Releasing the 3DS version first does not inherently mean that the Wii U version will do worse or move less units.  As long as they play the right cards, the Wii U version may, as you say, be the definitive version not only in quality, but in terms of sales as well.  It's also worth noting that the WIi U version IS releasing during a high point in the season for video game sales.  Smash Bros is also a series with pretty good legs, so I don't think that the staggered release would be such a huge impact in theory. 

I admit that I COULD be wrong, but anyone who says that this ISN'T a legitimate way of looking at things hasn't been around long enough to see that things don't always work out as typical "logic" and "reasoning" would assume it would.  There are a multitude of factors and I do think they are taking it into account and hoping for the best.

Well that makes sense from a dev point of view I guess. Wii U levels and characters will take longer to make.

Paints a less than stellar picture for the Wii U upcoming lineup though. Kart better work its magic.

"Winter"

28th Feb 2015 confirmed.