By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
curl-6 said:
ICStats said:
curl-6 said:
ICStats said:
Anyhow, I think plenty of last gen games look technically better than MK8.

For an apples to apples comparison, you'd have to compare to last gen Kart Racers, and MK8 blows them out of the water.

Outside of Mario Kart it's not a big genre, so comparing to other kart racers is very limited.

In an apples to apples comparison, MK8 smokes its PS360 competition, (Modnation Racers/LBP Karting/Sonic All Stars/Sonic Transformed) which suffer from lower framerates, screen tearing, lower resolution textures, flatter lighting, etc.

In a random comparison, MK8 looks better than most games on PS360 and isn't possible on last-gen hardware. Technically absolutely outstanding and showing that WiiU is *not* on par with PS360, it is a lot above. But I fear that we won't see many games showing us...

Around the Network

Damn you Nintendo! For the first time in my life you actually have me wanting one of your systems! MK8 is definitely one of the best looking 8th Gen games.

archbrix said:
ICStats said:
archbrix said:

So, this is a fair example of the technology used in Infamous SS?

I can tell more things in motion ofcourse.  The pic I was pointing at is from the video in the OP anyone can look at, and I also linked the video of GTA V as well.

I can't see much in this pic, but I can still tell you it does better reflections than MK8, because if you watch the MK8 video you can't see reflections of buildings in the water or puddles, but even in this crappy pic of SS you can see some reflections of the scenery on the wet ground.

There is no way anyone could tell that SS does anything better than MK8 based on that screenshot compared to this one:

The reflections in the SS shot look like crap.  It looks nothing like the game does in person, which is my point.  

No you're absolutely right about that, and I didn't want to take this argument to an extreme of claiming you can tell everything form a crappy screenshot.

My point was about things that are much more obvious, like for example from the videos in the OP you can see that characters & scenery don't seem to reflect in the water.  It's not a qualitative thing, or something you need to have insider knowledge to know, it's a "can you see it or not" thing.

This screenshot... well things look nicely environment mapped and it looks gorgeous.  I can't really say it needs gen 8 hardware to do it or not though.  We can assume that it's pushing Wii U's GPU hard therefore it would need to be cut down to work on PS3/360, but it's hard to see something that would make it impossible to run on that 7 year old hardware.

My 8th gen collection

Off those screens looks similar in quality to ModNation Racer. But that's a bad way to compare, must see direct feed before one can really pass judgement.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It looks fantastic. It just proves that you can still make beautiful games, despite being on so called "underpowered" hardware. I guess Nintendo proved the critics wrong once again.

Furthermore, the gap between PS4/One and the Wii U isn't that large like many perceived, sure in terms of raw numbers and other measurement it might have it beat, but Mario Kart 8 shows that the Wii U can dance with the beefier boys - that much is clear now.

Around the Network

Comparing it to other Kart Racers wouldn't be a fair comparison because this is a first-party game from NIntendo and they are likely to have been working on this game before MK7 came out. Because it's not out of the ordinary to draw art for your next next game.

Let's just think hypothetically here.. if Nintendo was making MK8 exclusively for PS3 and had 4 years to optimize on the cell it would be pretty darn close.

It can be done on a PS3. There's more realistic graphics on the WiiU already like AC:Black Flag.

I agree graphics is perception. Not saying MK8 looks worst than black flag, but I'm saying realistic graphic art style takes more processing power. I think MK8 looks good for what it is.

People who are saying it's the best looking WiiU game by far and best looking gen 8 game should come back to reality. That's just your nostalgia and fan-ship talking. I think MK8 is getting the same treatmeant as like a Halo or Arkam Knight or a Zelda. It gets a free pass because it is "Mario Kart". Try to be objective atleast!

binary solo said:
Off those screens looks similar in quality to ModNation Racer. But that's a bad way to compare, must see direct feed before one can really pass judgement.

IGN has 540p60 videos you can download by viewing page source and searching for .mp4s. Its pointless discussing graphics with fans from both sides. Wait for digital foundry, they don't have a side or points to prove.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Gustaf89 said:
Pemalite said:

Gustaf89 said:
im really sick of people saying "artistically is great, thecnically not so much"... PEOPLE. you need the TECH to pull out your Art Vision, The Wii U is capable for what Nintendo developers want to do, and that should be it. and if Nintendo can make games look so good on a "weak" hardware, the 3rd party should as well, I mean, Game budgets above the 100 millions and they can port a game correctly? give me a break

But it's the truth? Technically this is NOT a marvel, on a technical level we had PC games exceed this 7 years ago.
We have reached a point in this day and age where art can have a much larger impact than it used to, it can make or break a good/bad looking game.
This is obviously not an issue for Nintendo with it's great artistic flair' that it uses for it's titles, if anything they should be commended for it.

But you missed the point, the point was you need the hardware to pull out your artistic vision.

if this was achievable 7 years ago, then developers were too worried about 1080p/60fps,online multipyer, Cell Processor, 599 dollars,HARDCORE-shit, Call of duty and Fifas, to really pull out a game this pretty

No, you missed the point.

Lets take a boring flat wall and utilise it as an example.
You have objects sitting next to it, but it's still a flat wall right?
Then you apply a brick texture to replace the old white texture. Now it's a flat brick wall.
Then you "bake"  shadowing onto the brick wall texture, then you bake some lighting to give the individual bricks some depth.

Suddenly, the art has made what was a flat, boring wall into something with detail and with the baked-in shadowing and lighting, it doesn't require extra processing time.

I don't disagree you need hardware to assist with artistic vision, but Nintendo isn't the best example, their games generally aren't graphical powerhouses in terms of fidelity.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Best wait till Digital Foundrys analysis. They'll settle art vs tech better than anyone here can even hope to.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Gustaf89 said:
Pemalite said:

Gustaf89 said:
im really sick of people saying "artistically is great, thecnically not so much"... PEOPLE. you need the TECH to pull out your Art Vision, The Wii U is capable for what Nintendo developers want to do, and that should be it. and if Nintendo can make games look so good on a "weak" hardware, the 3rd party should as well, I mean, Game budgets above the 100 millions and they can port a game correctly? give me a break

But it's the truth? Technically this is NOT a marvel, on a technical level we had PC games exceed this 7 years ago.
We have reached a point in this day and age where art can have a much larger impact than it used to, it can make or break a good/bad looking game.
This is obviously not an issue for Nintendo with it's great artistic flair' that it uses for it's titles, if anything they should be commended for it.

But you missed the point, the point was you need the hardware to pull out your artistic vision.

if this was achievable 7 years ago, then developers were too worried about 1080p/60fps,online multipyer, Cell Processor, 599 dollars,HARDCORE-shit, Call of duty and Fifas, to really pull out a game this pretty

Artistic vision is pretty subjective. And in my case I say Valkyria Chronicles wipes the floor with everything art-wise. Sega created an artistically sublime game on technology considerably older than Wii U. So no you really don't need power beyond 7th gen tech to make artistically beautiful games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix