By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft shows off potential power of the Cloud at BUILD

zarx said:

Why was the local version running at such a shitty framerate? That demo barely looks better than what Nvidia's Apex destruction was doing over two years ago

A modern high end PC should have been able to run that demo easy... I mean this is what Nvidia were doing last year

Now it just looks like there demo is fake as shit, it's like they were unning on 1 CPU core or something hell Havok was doing this

Without GPU acceleration 4 years ago...

This makes sense to me. 

Around the Network
EB1994 said:
Yeah Zarx I'm with you on that...I mean I understand that the destruction in the demo they used was impressive and whatnot...But they said it was running on a high end pc, and the thing dropped to 4 FPS?

Really sketchy.

That and Bad Company has been doing this for a while. To add to that Sony has been doing particle effects with smooth framerates from the start of this gen. It's all very smooth. InFamous or Knack anyone? Not a shred of games doing this on the Xbox One yet. I'm sure the cloud will cover up their shortcomings and make their online better than Sony in the long run but they aren't explaining the pick up of frame rate very well. That framerate drop that they were showing was ridiculous especially if they claim that was a "high powered" PC.

20years??????? Really people???? Why not a millenium???? 20 years ago most people didn't have internet... When they did it was most of the time dial up... 10 years ago smartphone didn't exist and wireless high speed connection wasn't even a dream...
if broadband doesn't get vastly better in the near future and if it doesn't wireless will... It's not like the tech is not here anyway... The question is when will they change the cables pretty much and the NODs... The later the better actually since we'll have better optic cables by then... But they will and certainly before 20 years... The needs will have to be matched... Try to have an entire building watching 4k tv while DVRing a 4k movie and the kids are each streaming Netflix in 1080p and dad is trying to connect and retrieve his work from the company server for his home office...
there is goldmine to dig and if some wait too long they'll get crushed by the daring ones eventually no matter if you are called AT&T... You wait too long you lose... It happened to some companies in Europe during the transition from dialup to DSL or broadband... Big players got ass raped by small IPSs that took the risk to invest heavily in new better technology early and were ready when the needs arose for more juice in the pipeline...

endimion said:
@fastlob o
what subscription fees???? The pricing for band with and computational space is already available on the MSDN and is one and if not the most affordable solution considering the infrastructure you get HW/SW and certainly cheaper than any dedicated server solution the dev or publisher would need to match what's offered... The end customer wouldn't pay a penny more than it does today with XBL and server hosted multiplayer games...

while the tech for those results and the consumer internet specs is not ready... The azure platform is deployed and ready to use (already used actually outside of gaming) and pricing is already available...

You don't seriously expect to get this shit for free right ? Rendering takes more computational power than hosting a game match ...

This is something we talked about months ago, but it's nice to see a demo.

I don't think people are understanding that latency is not a problem with this application. A server on the otherside of the world would work just as well.

Upon firing a rocket the info is sent to the server. The physics are calculated and then sent back. This all happens before the rocket visually hits the building. Any delay is covered up by the rocket's time of flight.

Around the Network

If you say so fastlob o
fact is using cloud solution is cheaper than todays dedicated servers.... And azure scale to the needs live so no need for prepaid band with subs and compute time reservation...

what I'm saying is publishers will pay MS not us and their cost won't change much from their current expense if they had to deploy and maintain their own servers... So no I'm not expecting to pay more than the average game plus XBL subscription will cost by then... That's the entire point of the cloud for the company side... Cutting investment...

otherwise like people said just put a bigger GPU...

I'd be more worried about ISPs in some countries still practicing that outrageous rule of data cap.... I don't even understand why people don't group into customer interest defense group to make that shit illegal by law in places it still goes on...

true_fan said:

Lol now look at the ps4 fans rush to downplay this and saying it will be ready for XB2. XB1 was built with the future in mind and this is proof. First party studios will be having access to DX12 and Cloud processing before it hits the market. I love watching you guys scramble to come up with another excuse to slight MSFT and XB1.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

I'm an Xbox fan so........... yeah. 

zarx said:

Why was the local version running at such a shitty framerate? That demo barely looks better than what Nvidia's Apex destruction was doing over two years ago

Why are the rubbles disappearing ? 

Why do the debris disappear in alice ? 

A modern high end PC should have been able to run that demo easy... I mean this is what Nvidia were doing last year

Now it just looks like there demo is fake as shit, it's like they were unning on 1 CPU core or something hell Havok was doing this

Without GPU acceleration 4 years ago...

The rest of the demos looks like they have prefractured structures ... 

It's clear that these demo fake the destruction and you can clearly see the flaws. Don't just assume that their on the same level because they are NOWHERE NEAR the same shit. The cloud demo is doing MUCH MORE than those demo's from either Nvidia or Havoc. 

endimion said:
If you say so fastlob o
fact is using cloud solution is cheaper than todays dedicated servers.... And azure scale to the needs live so no need for prepaid band with subs and compute time reservation...

Again hosting a multiplayer game is trivial ... Running the games resources on the other hand is NOT. A subscription will be needed to access the computing power otherwise Microsoft will lose money due to the fact that they have to pay for maintenence and the equipments without being able to cover the costs. 

what I'm saying is publishers will pay MS not us and their cost won't change much from their current expense if they had to deploy and maintain their own servers... So no I'm not expecting to pay more than the average game plus XBL subscription will cost by then... That's the entire point of the cloud for the company side... Cutting investment...

Why should publishers have to pay for customers experience ? Do you know that onlive charges $15 a month on LAST GEN games at a performance of 720p @ 30fps at the LOWEST settings ?! Just imagine the subscription costs for NEXT GEN games ... 

otherwise like people said just put a bigger GPU...

That defeats the point of cloud ...

I'd be more worried about ISPs in some countries still practicing that outrageous rule of data cap.... I don't even understand why people don't group into customer interest defense group to make that shit illegal by law in places it still goes on...

It's CLEAR that this is EXPENSIVE. You don't seriously expect to get GTX Titan performance for free, do you ? Microsoft will HAVE to pay the purchased hardware somehow! And what better way to do that than to charge users for it ? 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
EB1994 said:
Yeah Zarx I'm with you on that...I mean I understand that the destruction in the demo they used was impressive and whatnot...But they said it was running on a high end pc, and the thing dropped to 4 FPS?

Really sketchy.

That and Bad Company has been doing this for a while. To add to that Sony has been doing particle effects with smooth framerates from the start of this gen. It's all very smooth. InFamous or Knack anyone? Not a shred of games doing this on the Xbox One yet. I'm sure the cloud will cover up their shortcomings and make their online better than Sony in the long run but they aren't explaining the pick up of frame rate very well. That framerate drop that they were showing was ridiculous especially if they claim that was a "high powered" PC.

Particle effects (usually) don´t have physics calculation. 

The Microsoft presentation every single particle rotation, speady and colision where to be calculated.