By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft shows off potential power of the Cloud at BUILD

So one machine is running standalone, and the other is plugged directly into a server nearby on a gigabyte ethernet cable. ;)

So these are two very powerful PC's. No offence but the system they are using for destruction must be resource heavy or can only be improved with other rending solutions. Has no one played Red Faction, their destruction was awesome and that was on crappy PS3/Xbox 360 consoles. I personally am not that impressed with this as it stands.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Didn't bad company do the same thing eons ago?

They are FAAAR from the same thing ... Bad Company 2 does allow reformation of the object but it manages it by making the separated objects dissappear whereas the separated rigid bodies in this demo is ALWAYS in the world colliding with other rigid bodies. The scale in this demo is also amazing compared to the one in bad company.

thismeintiel said:
OdinHades said:
A better GPU would be a much easier solution and would save millions of R&D costs. But why take the easy road, it's TEH FUTUREZZZ!

I don't know, I still don't buy all that powah of ze cloud stuff, sorry.

Completely agree with this.  Plus, this demo was heavily controlled and limited.  Now, let's move this into a real world situation, like online co-op.  Imagine if there are two or more gamers in a level, all making different decisions, with dozens of AI enemies and destructable environments.  Then, just imagine not having the fastest/most stable internet connection.  No, cloud gaming that shares large amounts of computations between local HW and cloud servers is still just a thing of the future.  Of course, by the time it becomes 100% doable in real world execution (in a decade or two), a beefier GPU will still be the much better option.

I would have to say that Gaikai/Now is a much better solution in the real world, as there is no shared computing, just streaming the A/V and your controller inputs to and from the host server.  There's also the benefit that it is 100% already proven to work. 

Gaikai is better in principle because less syncronization is needed for it to work and PS3 games were usually 720p @ 30fps and under in terms of performance. 

Why he turn around the camera ?

TimCliveroller said:

That is a problem for them to solve, and there will be limitations (obviously); but putting everything into perspective - the infrastructure is not (will not be) this huge problem people try to make it seem. Maybe I just have "the best internet" in the world (come to think about it - this is a possibility).

I think the main difficulty is that game codes are very complex these days (especially those games that would need cloud processing) and this new variable element can lead to a large variety of problems within the process structure.

Games need to work in 95+% (probably more) of the cases and not just in 50% or sth, which is why actual cloud processing probably still needs time to be ready for games/consumers.

Around the Network

its very difficult to work in real word. but i believe.
in the worst scenario, we will keep the graphics, and have better AI.

fatslob-:O said:
thismeintiel said:
OdinHades said:
A better GPU would be a much easier solution and would save millions of R&D costs. But why take the easy road, it's TEH FUTUREZZZ!

I don't know, I still don't buy all that powah of ze cloud stuff, sorry.

Completely agree with this.  Plus, this demo was heavily controlled and limited.  Now, let's move this into a real world situation, like online co-op.  Imagine if there are two or more gamers in a level, all making different decisions, with dozens of AI enemies and destructable environments.  Then, just imagine not having the fastest/most stable internet connection.  No, cloud gaming that shares large amounts of computations between local HW and cloud servers is still just a thing of the future.  Of course, by the time it becomes 100% doable in real world execution (in a decade or two), a beefier GPU will still be the much better option.

I would have to say that Gaikai/Now is a much better solution in the real world, as there is no shared computing, just streaming the A/V and your controller inputs to and from the host server.  There's also the benefit that it is 100% already proven to work. 

Gaikai is better in principle because less syncronization is needed for it to work and PS3 games were usually 720p @ 30fps and under in terms of performance. 

Yea, I know.  I thought that was basically what I said. 

And I doubt many developers will even care to use the cloud like this whenever it becomes fully available.  Considering the deadlines and limited budgets they have, I doubt they will want to go through the extra coding and testing it will take to get the local HW and cloud server to sync correctly the vast majority of the time to get the experience gamers already enjoy, now.  Not to mention the backlash from many gamers when they realize their internet isn't quite fast enough to play the $60 (maybe $70 by then) game they just bought. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by the time this really gets up and running, the PS5 and XB2 will be out, or about to launch.  MS will make sure the GPU is closer in power to the PS5, and they will drop the cloud power talk altogether.

That's awesome. Lots of powa!

thismeintiel said:

Yea, I know.  I thought that was basically what I said. 

And I doubt many developers will even care to use the cloud like this whenever it becomes fully available.  Considering the deadlines and limited budgets they have, I doubt they will want to go through the extra coding and testing it will take to get the local HW and cloud server to sync correctly the vast majority of the time to get the experience gamers already enjoy, now.  Not to mention the backlash from many gamers when they realize their internet isn't quite fast enough to play the $60 (maybe $70 by then) game they just bought. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by the time this really gets up and running, the PS5 and XB2 will be out, or about to launch.  MS will make sure the GPU is closer in power to the PS5, and they will drop the cloud power talk altogether.

I don't know how many developers will use the cloud but all I know is MOST people won't be able to access it or willing to pay the subscription fees for it to work. Another issue that people don't know is that computational power isn't FREE ... I'm not sure if Microsoft will drop the whole cloud thing yet because internet connection speeds will become a little more acceptable in the coming years. 

Battlefield 8? It's really cool tech but I doubt will see it really come into it's own for quite a while.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.