By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

Sony did extremely well with Playstation and Playstation 2, but is doing very bad in comparison to Nintendo with the Playstation Portable, and Nintendo and Microsoft with the Playstation 3. Why?

Playstation and Playstation 2 did not rely so heavily on power, but focused more on the video games themselves. Some might say that the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 were more powerful than the Playstation. Playstation didn't win with power. It won with games. The Gamecube was definitely a little more powerful than the Playstation 2, but again, the Playstation 2 won with games, not power.

Then the Playstation Portable came out. Sony was not focusing on games at all. Not only were they focusing much more on power, but also on other things such as movies, music, pictures, and Internet, and got a little bit side-tracked in the game department, assuming that its power, and the other cool things it could do, would win alone. The Nintendo DS won because of the games, and because of it being innovating.

Playstation 3 is just like the Playstation Portable, and the Nintendo Wii is just like the Nintendo DS.

PSP is focusing outside of games, which is why it is failing. Nintendo DS is focusing heavily on games, and innovation, which is why it is winning.

PS3 is focusing outside of games, which is why it is failing. Nintendo Wii is focusing heavily on games, and innovation, which is why it is winning.

I personally think it is game over for Sony now. I thought that the Playstation 2, and especially the Playstation, were amazing machines, but Sony decided it wasn't doing good enough with PS2 sales, and decided to look outside of the video game department, and into movies and such. Sure, Blu-Ray players are cool, by themselves that is. Why did they have to boost the price of the Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray player no one needs? Sony should have made stand alone Blu-Ray players, and not glue it onto its video game systems.

Well, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are very identical. In the end, the Playstation 3 will fail, and there will be no Playstation 4.

In the next generation of video gaming, Microsoft and Nintendo will be the only competing systems. We might find the Xbox 720, and Nintendo Sphere, however, no Playstation 4.

Sure, I want Sony to succeed. I want a Playstation 4. My Playstation 3 is collecting dust in my closet. Why? Because Sony isn't focusing on games. If they don't want to focus on games, then why are they still in the game industry?

And one of the major mistakes that Sony did was to throw away their mascot, Crash Bandicoot. Nobody seems to notice the power that Crash Bandicoot had. He was Sony's second best-selling, first party franchise (Grand Turismo was the first) of all time. Crash Bandicoot 2 sold more games than any other Sonic the Hedgehog game. And all together, Sonic the Hedgehog's franchise is only 4 million games more than Crash Bandicoot. Where is Crash Bandicoot now? He's with Nintendo now, just like Sonic. Nintendo is ending up with Sony's franchises.

What replaced Crash Bandicoot? Jak and Daxter. Were they ever as popular? Not even close. Even Spyro sold more games than Ratchet and Clank. And now with the PS3 coming, I wouldnt be surprised to see Jak and Ratchet on Nintendo.

Stop messing around Sony, and start making good games for your system.

Around the Network

Is the Playstation 3 Doomed?

No!

As you mentioned the PS3 seems to be taking an approach that is different than the original Playstation and PS2, an approach which seems similar to the PSP which has not emulated the success' of previous Playstation systems. The future survival and "success" of the PS3 really depends on what Sony determines what is causing the poor performance of the PS3; if they believe that all the PS3 needs is more games and Blu-Ray movies released inorder to build momentium I think they're in for a surprise.

The PSP is not a failure, when was the last time a company did that well in the hand held market other than Nintendo? I think they should stay in the hand held market and they are already at 22 million user base, they should release a PSP 2 or something soon though...

Also even if the PS3 'fails' (as in finishes 3rd) , there will be a PS4...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

a.l.e.x59 said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Jak and Ratchet on Nintendo.

WOW

either really really ignorant, or one kick ass troll you are.

Wii fanboys will love this dumb thread.

RolStoppable said:

I agree with you, there won't be a Playstation 4. There might be another console from Sony, but it would be stupid to keep the name Playstation, because the brandname will be worth nothing after this generation.

Bias much?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Threads like this aren't as much fun now without Hus.

PSP is a success, not a failure. There will be a Playstation 4...though perhaps with a different name, yeah. Also, I'm tired of people saying "The Wii fanboys will love this one." Get over it...not everybody agrees with the original poster, and you can at least try to contribute. If you don't like the thread, then no need to spew insults. I don't like this thread, because I think there's plenty of factors that could keep the PS3 going, if not a decent success later in life. Being a multimedia player is what a lot of people want, and it could be enough to spawn a Playstation 4. But just because I don't agree with this post, doesn't mean it's a lost thread...the OP put some thought into it and was sharing his honest opinion. If he didn't make enough points, such as Sony no longer having a "mascot" like Crash Bandicoot, I could have locked it for being fanboyish. But it's ok with me, and there's no need to immediately start bashing Wii fans, PS3 fans, whomever. Grow up.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It is still early to say that the PS3 is doomed but it is preatty clear that it will not sell as good as PSone or PS2 the PS3 has a very large userbase that will get it their only waiting for the PS3 price to fall or to they get enough money (almost all my friends shall get one) I don't know if PS3 will be profitble they have lost very much money on it yet and will likely lose much more PS4 will come if Sony survive this generation unntil then we have to wait

My dog is way beyond my ranking list than you.

Din Apekatt  

Doomed? No. Going to do dramatically less in lifetime sales compared to PS/2? Yes. Definately. Going to be less than 1/3 of PS2's sales, less than 40k. Main reasons, which is why Ken was 'retired'. Too expensive. I think Sony recognizes this and that is why almost immediately when they dropped Ken they also dropped the emotion chip. Next is there Bluray manuf cost. This will drop quickly for them. I bet that even though they have said officially that there will be no price drop til atleast 2008, I bet we see one this holiday season. A significant one of $100 or more. However, just as the PSP is not a failure as someone mentioned it has sold better than anyother handheld company has agianst Nintendo. It will eventually reach the 30m mark, which is a profit maker for Sony and thus not a failure. I expect the PS3 to be similar. Sony may still consider it a failure simply because it create such a drop in market share and overall sales as compared to previous playstations.

Well Nice first thread to come in on.

Sony'll do ok.

I don't think anyone in the company is going to hungry just yet.

And for those that knocked your post... You know there is something to be said about brand recognition.

Sony really has nothing noteworthy as a mascot, so they rely on the PLAYSTATION name itself. It's like back in 85... everyone called videogames ATARIS, regardless of what system they were playing.

Same happened for Nintendo after its mainstream success. I still remeber my grandpa calling Arcade Machine "Large Nintendos". In the last two generations... people that do not normally play games call ALL videogames PLAYSTATIONS. Old and young alike.

You occasionally hear Xboxes and the like, but that is the NEW brand name that the youth knows. One could make the argument that once that brand recognitoin goes away, then you are left with a decision to either revamp and change (Nintendo Wii...? who the hell didn't laugh when they heard that) or stand pat (Sega Genesis, Sega Genesis 32X, Sega Genesis CD, Sega Genesis 2... and who can forget Sega Genesis 3... all iterations of the same unit, all confusing to the market)

We all know how that story ended with one of the best videogame companies now a shell of itself. Sony is different... They are not just videogames, and they probably have a bankroll similar to Microsoft where no matter how mauch is burned... it will be years before any substantial dent is made that would jeopardize their company.

Of course, I could be wrong =) I think once people start calling ALL videogames by another name, that is when you should worry about Sony.

-Thrillhouse

Totally Unbiased since 5/9/07

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!