By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

OriGin said:

In terms of taking advantage of the console straight away, but Sony have future plans for the PS3.  While what we are starting to see on the X360 isn't the best it can do, there isn't much more room for too much more improvement on that hardware, however the PS3 has a whole heap of power up it's sleeve.  

Look at early PS2 games and then at FFXII and God of War 2 and tell me those graphics are unbelievable for hardware from 2000.  

God of War 2 looks better than Zelda on Wii I believe.

PS3 has that scalability and it will increase as the future goes on, it's not doomed it's just not going to do well this year, it will pick up for sure.

The PS3 does have a heap of power. I merely question whether Sony chose components that can be utilized for gaming. It definitely has the chops to process a lot of information, but how will that translate into games?

I agree that the PS3 will probably start gaining momentum in 2008; that's when price drops will start and the good games will start flowing for the system. I just don't know if it will be too little, too late. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
OriGin said:

In terms of taking advantage of the console straight away, but Sony have future plans for the PS3.  While what we are starting to see on the X360 isn't the best it can do, there isn't much more room for too much more improvement on that hardware, however the PS3 has a whole heap of power up it's sleeve.  

Look at early PS2 games and then at FFXII and God of War 2 and tell me those graphics are unbelievable for hardware from 2000.  

God of War 2 looks better than Zelda on Wii I believe.

PS3 has that scalability and it will increase as the future goes on, it's not doomed it's just not going to do well this year, it will pick up for sure.

The PS3 does have a heap of power. I merely question whether Sony chose components that can be utilized for gaming. It definitely has the chops to process a lot of information, but how will that translate into games?

I agree that the PS3 will probably start gaining momentum in 2008; that's when price drops will start and the good games will start flowing for the system. I just don't know if it will be too little, too late. 

Considering that most of its titles will be ending up as multiplats with the 360 I think it won't save it, since the 360 will always have a price advantage

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Blue3 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Jak and Ratchet on Nintendo.

WOW

either really really ignorant, or one kick ass troll you are.

Wii fanboys will love this dumb thread.

There you go again with using ignorant,.remember sarcasm is the recourse of a weak mind!

BenKenobi88 said:
PSP is a success, not a failure. There will be a Playstation 4...though perhaps with a different name, yeah. Also, I'm tired of people saying "The Wii fanboys will love this one." Get over it...not everybody agrees with the original poster, and you can at least try to contribute. If you don't like the thread, then no need to spew insults. I don't like this thread, because I think there's plenty of factors that could keep the PS3 going, if not a decent success later in life. Being a multimedia player is what a lot of people want, and it could be enough to spawn a Playstation 4. But just because I don't agree with this post, doesn't mean it's a lost thread...the OP put some thought into it and was sharing his honest opinion. If he didn't make enough points, such as Sony no longer having a "mascot" like Crash Bandicoot, I could have locked it for being fanboyish. But it's ok with me, and there's no need to immediately start bashing Wii fans, PS3 fans, whomever. Grow up.

I agree, lets keep it to games/stop the bashing, I have a PS3 and a wii and I do not knock the 360, Heck I have even contemplated picking it up. And I am sure(all bashing aside) If you asked a die hard soney fan if they would buy zelda if it were available on the PS3 they would say yes. And to 360 owners, If Resistance was avail on your system you would buy it, Same for wii.

Lets keep it about games/systems, not .oh this person sucks because they have this taste or that taste.BOTTOM line ..WE ALL HAVE something in common.THE LOVE OF GAMES!!!! lets remember that!!!

"Is the Playstation 3 doomed?" Yes.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

You do realize that IBM developed the Cell for servers, right? That is its primary purpose and that's why IBM is touting it as their new big thing in blade servers.

Yeah, I do. What kind of servers though? You made it sound like this'd be rackmounted for Apache. The blades you're talking about are high FLOPs servers that just scream HPC. Finnancial stuff, who knows, maybe even MMOs. Not your standard server, that's for sure. But my bad, shouldn't have just jumped so quickly. 

rocketpig said:

And while the Cell is powerful, that I admit, I think 360's three symmetrical cores and more powerful GPU is the right move for gaming. And from the reports I'm reading from most developers, they're saying the same thing. Sure, it can help in real-time effects, but at the cost of AI. So how is that a good solution for gaming?

Yes, I think so. The little experience I have with game development, in the end AI and game logic takes very little of the processing power, certainly nothing like a third of it. So if you can offload most of what does take time to the SPEs, plus some of the knowledge you're going to base your AI on, that leaves you a "spare" PPE for that. Different games certainly will spend more or less time doing this and that.

So my only argument is that this may not be such bad tradeoffs either way. Meaning that neither the 360, nor the PS3, are significantly more powerful than the other, it just can't be measured like that. With different games, the mileage will vary. The common denominator, though, is certainly the worst option of all.

And in the end, performance means very little without commitment, as late generation games always show. I just can't see the tradeoffs made by either the 360 or the PS3 making the difference. Both winners and losers will win and lose regardless of power.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:

Yeah, I do. What kind of servers though? You made it sound like this'd be rackmounted for Apache. The blades you're talking about are high FLOPs servers that just scream HPC. Finnancial stuff, who knows, maybe even MMOs. Not your standard server, that's for sure. But my bad, shouldn't have just jumped so quickly. 

So my only argument is that this may not be such bad tradeoffs either way. Meaning that neither the 360, nor the PS3, are significantly more powerful than the other, it just can't be measured like that. With different games, the mileage will vary. The common denominator, though, is certainly the worst option of all.

Fair enough on the server bit. Just a bit of miscommunication there.

I also agree that it appears that the PS3 will do fine and be powerful enough to run most things the 360 does. And vice versa. Each platform has its strength and right now, it's impossible to say Console A is much more powerful than Console B. They're close, now it's up to the devs to make the most of that power.

I responded the way I did in my first post because someone mentioned that if MS came out with a new console in 2009, the PS3 would still have similar specs to that console.

And I think you can agree that's just silly. Three years is a long time in the tech world, especially when it comes to processors.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

wowwwwwwwwww

amazing ps3 bashing....!!!!

a massively watered down XEnon is compared to Cell whose benchmarks put it atleast 10x more powerful than Xenon.

just google Cell benchmarks and you could see the results.

none of the games like Lair/FF13 is possible on x360.

even Kojima himself said that a degraded version of MGS 4 could be made on x360.

this has become a troll heaven.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Cell+processor+benchmarks&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Avinash_Tyagi said:

PSP isn't a success, Sony expected it to oust both the Ipod and the DS, it did neither, in fact it didn't even come close

PS3 isn't doomed but its almost certainly not going to be able to dominate the market, in fact it looks very likely to remain in third place

psp has sold around 22 million units worldwide with healthy software ties. How is that not a success??

ps3 not going to dominate the market?????

even the die hard nintendo fanboys know that by the end of the year ps3 would be topping the console sales list all around the world in terms of softwares and hardwares.

FIXED

larry said:

wowwwwwwwwww

amazing ps3 bashing....!!!!

a massively watered down XEnon is compared to Cell whose benchmarks put it atleast 10x more powerful than Xenon.

just google Cell benchmarks and you could see the results.

none of the games like Lair/FF13 is possible on x360.

even Kojima himself said that a degraded version of MGS 4 could be made on x360.

this has become a troll heaven.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Cell+processor+benchmarks&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

All games can be ported.

At least a "version" of a game.

It would not surprise me in the least if you see a game like Final Fantasy 13 or MGS4 on the Xbox,  or even the Wii for that matter! While the argument may be it does not look as nice as the PS3 version, it will still be in essence the same game at its core... well... most of the time

The argument of how strong a PS3 is compared to the others is already won in Sony's favor. That gaming box is clearly in a league of its own.

This thread is asking... does it really matter?

Thrillhouse - Unbiased since 5/9/07

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!