By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

larry said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

PSP isn't a success, Sony expected it to oust both the Ipod and the DS, it did neither, in fact it didn't even come close

PS3 isn't doomed but its almost certainly not going to be able to dominate the market, in fact it looks very likely to remain in third place

psp has sold around 22 million units worldwide with healthy software ties. How is that not a success??

ps3 not going to dominate the market?????

even the die hard nintendo fanboys know that by the end of the year ps3 would be topping the console sales list all around the world in terms of softwares and hardwares.

FIXED

PSP is clearly the greatest failure ever... if 22 million systems is a failure.

Compared to DS, it is merely 2nd Place. (In a two horse race however, that does indeed make it the loser.) I believe Sony should stay in that market, and see what it can do to swing the tide on the handheld front away from Nintendo. Something that has never been done.

I do not know if Sony PS3 will be on the top of the charts by the time this year is over. Judging just by this year so far, I'm inclined to say they will be in 3rd place this entire generation with the exception of Japan, if they do not sell well this holiday season.

Of course, I also picked the Wii to have GameCube like sales, so who knows? Fun guessing though!

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

And I think you can agree that's just silly.

Sure.

In 2010 Nintendo will release the WiiToo (hey, it can only get more ridiculous!): only a tad more powerful than either the PS3 or the 360 obviously, but by then it'll actually be something both affordable and profitable (put in other words, good for business). Sony and Microsoft, will sure do much better at the high end. Which is where the market is, er... will be... or not, I don't know.

I kid, I kid...

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
larry said:

wowwwwwwwwww

amazing ps3 bashing....!!!!

a massively watered down XEnon is compared to Cell whose benchmarks put it atleast 10x more powerful than Xenon.

just google Cell benchmarks and you could see the results.

none of the games like Lair/FF13 is possible on x360.

even Kojima himself said that a degraded version of MGS 4 could be made on x360.

this has become a troll heaven.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Cell+processor+benchmarks&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Sigh... For the hundredth time, benchmarks don't mean squat. For scientific number crunching, the Cell is exceptional. Small problem: video games use processing power absolutely nothing like scientific research does.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070326-why-the-playstation-3-owns-the-pc-in-fh.html

There's a nice little link that explains why the Cell outperforms others so well at F@H. It doesn't take rocket science to extrapolate that explanation into gaming.

You should really read a little bit more into the competing architectures and stop quoting PS3 devs before calling anyone a troll.

The Cell is not magically ten times more powerful than every other chip on the market. Things just don't work that way.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

larry said:

just google Cell benchmarks and you could see the results.

Well... there's no point arguing with benchmarks, you know?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Anti-sony thread, baiting, and trolling. I'd already have been baned twice over if I was occupied in this thread... Ok. I'm done. I have nothing more to add, than.

The PS3 is NOT a failure.

There WILL be a PS4. (with that name)

EDIT: Actually F@H is horrible on the PS3. It is running at roughly 20% power. As F@H uses REALLY REALLY REALLY advanced stuff the PS3 has trouble with. Games are much simpler, and thus yet, that much faster even over F@H compared to a PC.

EDIT2: F@H uses complex instructions, and lots of them, the Cell chokes on that. The fact the Cell is faster at all, is impressive. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Sony was probably focusing on multimedia because video games alone didn't give them enough profit (2 billions of the PS2 isn't that much money considering how clearly it dominated). As you pointed out the focus for consoles and handhelds should be on games and that's why Sony is losing with PSP and PS3.

I agree with you, there won't be a Playstation 4. There might be another console from Sony, but it would be stupid to keep the name Playstation, because the brandname will be worth nothing after this generation.

Sony gave away their Crash Bandicoot and Spyro franchises after the PSone era, since then they are owned by Vivendi. Both series are multiplatform now and will be in the future considering Vivendi's plans how to handle these franchises.

Ratchet is still an Insomniac game and a PS3 game is in development. Naughty Dog is currently working on Uncharted. I doubt that we will see Ratchet or Jak on a Nintendo console.

Sonic is still owned by Sega and was multiplatform last generation, but it seems that Sonic games will stay exclusive on the Wii in the future, considering the ratings and sales of Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) and Sonic and the secret rings (Wii).

The PS3 is doomed. But it will still take some months or even years for some diehard sony fanboys to realize that. But yes... vvv signature vvv

I remember me & you talking about that very thing I bolded in green in private message.

I figured Sony in the quest to best a stubborn Microsoft and get an edge on profits packed their systems to the gills trying to look for a way to win twice in one system. The strategy for the PS3 is damn near the direct opposite of their one for the first 2 Playstations.

PS1 got credit against a cocky Sega and Nintendo by having CD's cheaper than their competitors. They brought in the $50 retail limit on game prices that we have today (well had). Sega Saturn was overpriced & Playstation 1 looked better by comparison with its reasonably affordable model which did many of the same things Saturn did anyway more or less.

PS2 rode the momentum, launched right, marketed right and kept affordable with affordable games along with a cheap DVD player to boot riding another technology wave.

PS3 tried to MAKE a technology wave with Blu-Ray & it's simply too soon trying to bring these formats in. I have a sneaky feeling in a few years someone is going to outclass both Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD. Some new left field device that renders both obsolete. I just have a sneaking feeling this whole race is for naught.

They launched poorly and boy oh boy did they market poorly. Just like Sega they DOUBLED the price and actually gave away their cost advantage on the games. I look at XBox 360 & PS3's games and I'm like "why did these guys go up to $60?"

And I'm hearing on few games even being released for PS3 right now. I'm like what? It reminds me of N64 all over again WITHOUT the industry changing games like Super Mario 64 & Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Yes, with Microsoft here in the USA and Nintendo all over the world that means doom for the PS3. I don't see Metal Gear Solid 4 showing up on that system & I even wonder about Final Fantasy XIII. I don't see that system making it out alive past 2009. Too much money is getting lost and not enough games are being bought by its owners to cover the gap.

I believe Sony will soon reevaluate its whole corporate structure after the PS3 dies. Layoffs are coming and maybe a game division will be jettisoned. In dominance they barely profitted in comparison to expense put in, in drought they will be submarine level drowning in the water of debt. The games business is notoriously hard to turn a profit from. The whole Playstation deal is the whole child of Kutaragi who's been marginalized. If Sony has no chance to get back on top they will leave this market. What's the point of putting up the good fight if you lose money hand over fist.

On one hand they're lucky because Microsoft hasn't really made a big mark outside of Australia and North America but on the other hand they're usurped at home and abroad all over the world by Nintendo on both fronts. Something's got to give eventually. The industry in its current format cannot hold more than two strong competitors at once. Not for long. If MS wasn't MS, the XBox would have been their first and last system.

All I can tell PS3 fans is simply enjoy your system. But I wouldn't recommend getting too attached to it long term. The race is over.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

I wonder, how much Money did Nintendo make last Gen? I don't see PS3 being profitable if they aren't the market leader, especially since they completely dominated last gen and make "relatively" little profits. You will see very few 3rd party exclusives. Most will also be on Wii and mostly 360. Sony still has a chance tho, but they have to address the price. No matter how good a deal it is, bottom line is the price is too much to pay for most people. In some areas the cost is more than your monthly rent. I doubt that Sony can ever catch Nintendo. People seem to think that PS3 can start to dominate in 2009, but by then they could be 20M or more behind and that is too much of a gap to ever recover from. They do have a chance to take second. 360 has stalled around 10M so Sony can close the gap if they can lower the price. Since 360 already has more games, lower price, better online, Halo, and most games will be on both systems, and same powerful tech Sony has to do something and price is the only thing they can tweak.

Sony is getting there but it is still at the point where they can make a comeback. Everything though is against them in this endevour but if there is one thing that can get Sony through this it is brand recognition.

Kwaad said:

Anti-sony thread, baiting, and trolling. I'd already have been baned twice over if I was occupied in this thread... Ok. I'm done. I have nothing more to add, than.

The PS3 is NOT a failure.

There WILL be a PS4. (with that name)

EDIT: Actually F@H is horrible on the PS3. It is running at roughly 20% power. As F@H uses REALLY REALLY REALLY advanced stuff the PS3 has trouble with. Games are much simpler, and thus yet, that much faster even over F@H compared to a PC.

EDIT2: F@H uses complex instructions, and lots of them, the Cell chokes on that. The fact the Cell is faster at all, is impressive.

sorry are you high? Folding@home is exactly the kind of thing that Cell is designed for. The Cell has a whole lot of vector processing units which have incredible throughput when given a lot of number crunching mathematics but is completely useless in terms of branchy code (Same as GPU). Things with lots of mathematics, such as matrix and vector operations (Graphics, Physics) will run incredibly well on the Cell, as they would on a GPU, because they have dedicated hardware vector units, while things that have branchy type code (such as AI) would be useless on the Cell (well, not useless, it would just not utilise the vector processors)

Folding@home has some complex stuff that the Cell is no good at, yes. But they simply don't give that to the Cell. Those work units go to the PCs which are more flexible than the PS3 (and ATi client). However, don't think that the PS3 isn't being used to its full potential with folding. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that Cell was designed for. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Of course PS3 is doomed. Selling slowly. Price cuts distant. Mass-market price virtually unreachable for 5 years. Japan lost. Short list of killer apps, all of them with XBox 360 competitors. Overall game announcements of any type lagging. Epic loss of mindshare. Continuing bad press. Billions in losses, with no strong vision on how to so much as stop the bleeding. And 35 years of precedent saying it can't recover. Sorry to be the doom-monger. But its over.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.