By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

rocketpig said:

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff? The PS3 isn't even really that powerful when taking into consideration its primary objective, which is gaming. The cell is not a great chip for gaming. It's one hell of a server or supercomputer chip, but it's not particularly good for the non-linear nature of video game processing.

Servers? Now, that one's new!

Let me see... yeah, this is the right quote: “Seriously, where do you people get this stuff?”.

The Cell is great for gaming, er... I mean graphics, but isn't that what (PS3) gaming is all about? Seriously, bad for AI, game logic, etc. But great at helping out with real-time graphic effects in really dynamic environments.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
a.l.e.x59 said:
Sony did extremely well with Playstation and Playstation 2, but is doing very bad in comparison to Nintendo with the Playstation Portable, and Nintendo and Microsoft with the Playstation 3. Why?

Playstation and Playstation 2 did not rely so heavily on power, but focused more on the video games themselves. Some might say that the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64 were more powerful than the Playstation. Playstation didn't win with power. It won with games. The Gamecube was definitely a little more powerful than the Playstation 2, but again, the Playstation 2 won with games, not power.

Then the Playstation Portable came out. Sony was not focusing on games out all. Not only were they focusing much more on power, but also on other things such as movies, music, pictures, and Internet, and got a little bit side-tracked in the game department, assuming that its power, and the other cool things it could do, would win alone. The Nintendo DS won because of the games, and because of it being innovating.

Playstation 3 is just like the Playstation Portable, and the Nintendo Wii is just like the Nintendo DS.

PSP is focusing outside of games, which is why it is failing. Nintendo DS is focusing heavily on games, and innovation, which is why it is winning.

PS3 is focusing outside of games, which is why it is failing. Nintendo Wii is focusing heavily on games, and innovation, which is why it is winning.

I personally think it is game over for Sony now. I thought that the Playstation 2, and especially the Playstation, were amazing machines, but Sony decided it wasn't doing good enough with PS2 sales, and decided to look outside of the video game department, and into movies and such. Sure, Blu-Ray players are cool, by themselves that is. Why did they have to boost the price of the Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray player no one needs? Sony should have made stand alone Blu-Ray players, and not glue it onto its video game systems.

Well, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are very identical. In the end, the Playstation 3 will fail, and there will be no Playstation 4.

In the next generation of video gaming, Microsoft and Nintendo will be the only competing systems. We might find the Xbox 720, and Nintendo Sphere, however, no Playstation 4.

Sure, I want Sony to succeed. I want a Playstation 4. My Playstation 3 is collecting dust in my closet. Why? Because Sony isn't focusing on games. If they don't want to focus on games, then why are they still in the game industry?

And one of the major mistakes that Sony did was to throw away their mascot, Crash Bandicoot. Nobody seems to notice the power that Crash Bandicoot had. He was Sony's second best-selling, first party franchise (Grand Turismo was the first) of all time. Crash Bandicoot 2 sold more games than any other Sonic the Hedgehog game. And all together, Sonic the Hedgehog's franchise is only 4 million games more than Crash Bandicoot. Where is Crash Bandicoot now? He's with Nintendo now, just like Sonic. Nintendo is ending up with Sony's franchises.

What replaced Crash Bandicoot? Jak and Daxter. Were they ever as popular? Not even close. Even Spyro sold more games than Ratchet and Clank. And now with the PS3 coming, I wouldnt be surprised to see Jak and Ratchet on Nintendo.

Stop messing around Sony, and start making good games for your system.

wowww what a troll???? ps3 beats x360 4.5: 1 in terms of sales in japan.

In europe and the remaining PAL region  it even beats the Wii in some places.

ps3 beats x360 there by a margin of 2:1.

in US had it not been for the elite the ps3 -x360 monthly sales difference would have been atmost as low as 30k in april.

MODS are u there????

Thrillhouse said:

First I agree and disagree:

Blu-Ray will be a viable format. But sometimes you do not need 25 Gigs of space to get the story across

Pac-Man had 3 cut scenes... and then you got further and had baby after baby after baby. Still one of the funnest games today. If a game is bollocks, then its bollocks. A good developer knows the constraints, and if there are none, they shouldn't always shoot the moon.

Second:

I have a feeling the next round of systems will be much different then anyone expects.

Pac-Man(not sure which version you were implying) can be stored in a 3.5" floppy disc. You dun need a DVD media. But are we to say that we do not need a DVD player for gaming today? It is a fact that the game quality(graphics and sound) and content depends on media capacity. And yes, I totally agree that gameplay is a factor not to be neglected.

Its like watching a movie. Gameplay is the storyline. Content is short film or full length movie. Game quality is whether u prefer to watch it on EDTV or HDTV. And you can only get the best of all 3 in a big capacity media. Sure you can get a nice storyline on a CD or a nice short storyline in HD on a DVD. But! You can never get the best of all 3.

KruzeS said:
rocketpig said:

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff? The PS3 isn't even really that powerful when taking into consideration its primary objective, which is gaming. The cell is not a great chip for gaming. It's one hell of a server or supercomputer chip, but it's not particularly good for the non-linear nature of video game processing.

Let me see... yeah, this is the right quote: “Seriously, where do you people get this stuff?”.

The Cell is great for gaming, er... I mean graphics, but isn't that what (PS3) gaming is all about? Seriously, bad for AI, game logic, etc. But great at helping out with real-time graphic effects in really dynamic environments.

You do realize that IBM developed the Cell for servers, right? That is its primary purpose and that's why IBM is touting it as their new big thing in blade servers.

And while the Cell is powerful, that I admit, I think 360's three symmetrical cores and more powerful GPU is the right move for gaming. And from the reports I'm reading from most developers, they're saying the same thing. Sure, it can help in real-time effects, but at the cost of AI. So how is that a good solution for gaming?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

dallas said:

No.

The PS3 is about to have HOME , and improvements in the PSN ramping up sales, as well as the PS3's blu-ray capability, etc.

The PS3 is going to be 1st if not second.

I think that a better question, given the 360's stagnating sales is whether IT will be the loser, and more importantly, why the 360 is going downhill.

'about to have' is what made me think you meant some time soon.

I have no doubt the PS3 is going to start smoking the 360 and even maybe the Wii but that's only going to happen in Nov / Dec, I don't think it will out sell them this year, but then in 2008 the PS3 momentum will pick up and continue onwards and into the future.

It's just not gonna happen this year is all.

Around the Network

PS3 is not doomed yet, but it certainly cannot be viewed as a success. Trends are hard to change, you see the PS3 sales going down week to week in every territory. New games will give them small bumps, but its not like any 1 game will magically make them sell 500k more systems per month ww. Sony is in a bad position because they are dependant on 3rd parties and their systems is very similar to 360. 360 has a better price and higher userbase, and likely will for quite a while. If Sony drops the price, MS will match or beat within days so they will still be the most expensive console. But @ $200 less it would be a better deal, I might be tempted then but probably not until it hits $300. We'll have a much better idea after Xmas.

rocketpig said:
KruzeS said:
rocketpig said:

You do realize that IBM developed the Cell for servers, right? That is its primary purpose and that's why IBM is touting it as their new big thing in blade servers.

And while the Cell is powerful, that I admit, I think 360's three symmetrical cores and more powerful GPU is the right move for gaming. And from the reports I'm reading from most developers, they're saying the same thing. Sure, it can help in real-time effects, but at the cost of AI. So how is that a good solution for gaming?

In terms of taking advantage of the console straight away, but Sony have future plans for the PS3.  While what we are starting to see on the X360 isn't the best it can do, there isn't much more room for too much more improvement on that hardware, however the PS3 has a whole heap of power up it's sleeve.  

Look at early PS2 games and then at FFXII and God of War 2 and tell me those graphics are unbelievable for hardware from 2000.  

God of War 2 looks better than Zelda on Wii I believe.

PS3 has that scalability and it will increase as the future goes on, it's not doomed it's just not going to do well this year, it will pick up for sure.

Silver_Z said:
Thrillhouse said:

First I agree and disagree:

Blu-Ray will be a viable format. But sometimes you do not need 25 Gigs of space to get the story across

Pac-Man had 3 cut scenes... and then you got further and had baby after baby after baby. Still one of the funnest games today. If a game is bollocks, then its bollocks. A good developer knows the constraints, and if there are none, they shouldn't always shoot the moon.

Second:

I have a feeling the next round of systems will be much different then anyone expects.

Pac-Man(not sure which version you were implying) can be stored in a 3.5" floppy disc. You dun need a DVD media. But are we to say that we do not need a DVD player for gaming today? It is a fact that the game quality(graphics and sound) and content depends on media capacity. And yes, I totally agree that gameplay is a factor not to be neglected.

Its like watching a movie. Gameplay is the storyline. Content is short film or full length movie. Game quality is whether u prefer to watch it on EDTV or HDTV. And you can only get the best of all 3 in a big capacity media. Sure you can get a nice storyline on a CD or a nice short storyline in HD on a DVD. But! You can never get the best of all 3.

Oh, the new formats all will be necessary to run on more modern machines as the years go on.

I wasn't implying that capacity should be overlooked. It will get bigger and bigger to a point where I believe it won't be a factor for development.

I am just using the "Sewer Shark" argument. At the time, no system could play that game unless they had a CD-ROM drive. The fact is however, that the game probably should have never been made. But at least it used all that space!

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

PS3 certainly isn't doing well right now but it is by no means doomed. Though it's getting close to that way in Japan.

PSP isn't a success, Sony expected it to oust both the Ipod and the DS, it did neither, in fact it didn't even come close

PS3 isn't doomed but its almost certainly not going to be able to dominate the market, in fact it looks very likely to remain in third place

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)