By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

Doomed is all relative... If you mean Sony exiting the market and the remaining PS3s being burned atari style in the desert - no IF you mean #3 in the market, significantly lower penetration than its brethren and/or being considerd a '64 in the eyes of gamers - yes Of course I consider the games library as the determining factor, but this is a sales website :P

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Will this stop for one sake or another? I'm in no way defending sony for the ps3, but all these boards about videogame discussion are so ignorant, and way out of line. What has sony done that has caused so much hatred for them. They released a 600 $ system. It is there fault for being attacked a little, but it is getting unrealistic. When the price drop goes down, and blu ray succeeds, I expect that ps3 will have sales relative to around 60-90 million. As of right now, it is just an expensive electronic that doesn't have a great line up, for any use. There aren't alot of blu ray movies, and not alot of games.

ngg12345 said:
They released a 600 $ system. As of right now, it is just an expensive electronic that doesn't have a great line up, for any use.

Funny, 12 years back you could've said pretty much the same about the 3DO.

old but.... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159104 ya i think Hironobu Sakaguchi is correct.. he he, but to be real..ps3 is not doomed. EDIT: its just overrated..it just doesnt have the exclusives anymore. EDIT:MGS4 will sell millions FF13 will sell millions but what happend to the other exclusives?????. exclusives went to big timing microsoft and or are being put across multi platforms, more ppl are going to buy Microsoft's machine rather than Playstation's this time around..sony is no longer top dog they got serious competition now..Microsoft's 6-7 years console experience and bills money.

while obviously nintendo is after a whole entire diff. market.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:

old but.... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159104 ya i think Hironobu Sakaguchi is correct.. he he, but to be real..ps3 is not doomed. EDIT: its just overrated..it just doesnt have the exclusives anymore. EDIT:MGS4 will sell millions FF13 will sell millions but what happend to the other exclusives?????. exclusives went to big timing microsoft and or are being put across multi platforms, more ppl are going to buy Microsoft's machine rather than Playstation's this time around..sony is no longer top dog they got serious competition now..Microsoft's 6-7 years console experience and bills money.

while obviously nintendo is after a whole entire diff. market.

Yeah.

All of it.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
Of course PS3 is doomed. Selling slowly. Price cuts distant. Mass-market price virtually unreachable for 5 years. Japan lost. Short list of killer apps, all of them with XBox 360 competitors. Overall game announcements of any type lagging. Epic loss of mindshare. Continuing bad press. Billions in losses, with no strong vision on how to so much as stop the bleeding. And 35 years of precedent saying it can't recover. Sorry to be the doom-monger. But its over.

Many people don't have the balls to say that, but you're definitely not the only one thinking that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

sieanr said:
Doomed is all relative... If you mean Sony exiting the market and the remaining PS3s being burned atari style in the desert - no IF you mean #3 in the market, significantly lower penetration than its brethren and/or being considerd a '64 in the eyes of gamers - yes Of course I consider the games library as the determining factor, but this is a sales website :P

How can it be overall third when it kicks the crap out of the X360 both in Japan and Europe ?

PS3 probably won't be a winner in this format war. Will there be a PS4? Probably So. Will it be a $600 system? Probably not because the transition to HD will have been made by that point. Was the Xbox a failure? Absolutely - brought the company several billion in the hole. Did M$ release another system? Of course it did. Now the 360 is finally starting to turn a profit. Sony's stock price continues to rise and as long as that's happening, I don't think Sony is quitting after 6 months of a console launch. We can see that companies can go bipolar between failure and success as with Sony. Nintendo can last a while with games being all about the controller, but if they get too comfortable with that success and have no plans to get back to gameplay, then they could have some problems too.

EDIT:  Do we have any accurate information about how well the PS3 is doing to the Xbox in Europe? 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Once it starts selling in Japan ,and it will once all the big games start appearing ,this console will cut the worlwide difference with the X360 quite fast .Right now it has 3.28 million for 9.64 million the X360 ,so a difference of some 6.36 million ...thats not that significative .Significative is having 120 million versus 25 as the PS2 had over the Xbox ,and still the Xbox was alive in Europe and NA and was killed just because MS decided so to introduce the X360 . As for Europe it is already selling more in all the markets that the X360 that has a ultrapoor reception here .I dont see how succeding in two of the three major markets over the direct competition (Wii is another thing ) and defending itself in the third it is doomed . And that at 600 dollars/euros .....once the price drops there are way more people willing to buy the new Playstation that the console of Bill Gates and that is a fact .We are seeing what the X360 sells at 400$ ,but we havent seen yet what the PS3 can see at the same price and with say MGSIV and God of War 3 in the stores .Not to mention Gran Turismo 5 or FFXIII or FFXIII VS .

Wow... even I think that some people in this thread are far to negative on the PS3. I don't think there is anything to worry about... doom and gloom callers for the PS3 are simply optimistic thinking fans of opposing consoles. Why do people want Sony to fail so badly? There is a reason the PS2 won last generation, and that's because there was the biggest selection of best games on PS2. Why do people want the company that brought you that to fail? Or the PS3 to fail? 1. The PS3 is a magnificent piece of hardware, why talk it down for? The things it's capable of and the things Cell is capable of are mighty impressive. 2. The Wii can't do everything the PS3 can and the PS3 can't do everything the Wii can... they are meant for different purposes, but I'd rather have both. HD graphics are something I personally can't live without and if all the games consoles were as powerful as the Wii I would be upset because I like the leap in power. 3. I don't think PS3 is doomed, not when the good games come and not when the price goes down... most people are waiting for these reasons to buy one and Sony is in their transition period, they are supporting TWO consoles at the moment, introducing one while the other one dies. It's not hard math.. All of that said I don't think the PS3 will be the market leader this gen, but people thinking that devs are going to pull all their efforts AWAY from PS3 in favor of Wii or 360 are mad. + Gran Turismo 5 is enough alone to keep the PS3 alive.