By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

The PS3 isn't doomed. I think Sony will end up taking it on the chin this generation, but they'll be back for more in 2012, and they'll be the wiser for it. Next time around we'll see a more humble Sony and that should translate into a better gaming machine for all of us.

The thing is that Sony could have virtually forced MS out of the living room this generation by handing them their ass again. They got cocky and left the keys in the car with the engine running while Nintendo hopped in the driver's seat and Microsoft hid in the trunk and they both drove away while Kuturagi was screaming "1080p! 60 FPS! Blu-Ray! Cell! Future!" into a megaphone.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

It is slow, not Doomed!! Even if Microsoft were to come out with a new system in 2009, it will only be the same in specs(note that I say in specs) to the playstation 3. The playstation 3 has potential for many years to come. Thats if Sony can hold out so long. lol! "Why did they have to boost the price of the Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray player no one needs? " Of coz we need blu-ray. Blu-ray is not abt HD movies. Stop associating blu-ray with movies. blu-ray is a media format. Would you want a console that uses CD, and the entire content is only 640mb? Blu-ray media can hold 25gb of data on a single layer, which allows developers to increase their content/storyline or enhance their image and sound quality. No longer need swapping of 3 DVDs like Onimusha 3 in PS2.

No.

The PS3 is about to have HOME , and improvements in the PSN ramping up sales, as well as the PS3's blu-ray capability, etc.  

The PS3 is going to be 1st if not second.

I think that a better question, given the 360's stagnating sales is whether IT will be the loser, and more importantly, why the 360 is going downhill.

Silver_Z said:
It is slow, not Doomed!! Even if Microsoft were to come out with a new system in 2009, it will only be the same in specs(note that I say in specs) to the playstation 3. The playstation 3 has potential for many years to come.

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff? The PS3 isn't even really that powerful when taking into consideration its primary objective, which is gaming. The cell <i>is not a great chip for gaming</i>. It's one hell of a server or supercomputer chip, but it's not particularly good for the non-linear nature of video game processing.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Could modchips be 1 of the reason?? lol!!

Around the Network

Has anybody noticed how many more PS3 fanboys we have lately? whup it up y'all :p

dallas said:

No.

The PS3 is about to have HOME , and improvements in the PSN ramping up sales, as well as the PS3's blu-ray capability, etc.

I think that a better question, given the 360's stagnating sales is whether IT will be the loser, and more importantly, why the 360 is going downhill.

LOL. No.

PS3 isn't going to kick arse or ramp up this year until VERY late in the year, if at all.  Home aint gonna do shit because only nerds know about it so far and people are going to pay $600 just to use HOME.

This post sounds so familiar to during March when the Sony fans were claiming that Motorstorm, VF5 and LBP and Home announcements would drive sales.

BA-BOW (family feud style).

Not this year sorry buddy.

PS3 however IS NOT DOOMED, Sony have a way of doing consoles and I don't doubt that they will pick up late this year and into 2008.

Silver_Z said:
It is slow, not Doomed!! Even if Microsoft were to come out with a new system in 2009, it will only be the same in specs(note that I say in specs) to the playstation 3. The playstation 3 has potential for many years to come. Thats if Sony can hold out so long. lol! "Why did they have to boost the price of the Playstation 3 with a Blu-Ray player no one needs? " Of coz we need blu-ray. Blu-ray is not abt HD movies. Stop associating blu-ray with movies. blu-ray is a media format. Would you want a console that uses CD, and the entire content is only 640mb? Blu-ray media can hold 25gb of data on a single layer, which allows developers to increase their content/storyline or enhance their image and sound quality. No longer need swapping of 3 DVDs like Onimusha 3 in PS2.

First I agree and disagree:

Blu-Ray will be a viable format. But sometimes you do not need 25 Gigs of space to get the story across

Pac-Man had 3 cut scenes... and then you got further and had baby after baby after baby. Still one of the funnest games today. If a game is bollocks, then its bollocks. A good developer knows the constraints, and if there are none, they shouldn't always shoot the moon.

Second:

I have a feeling the next round of systems will be much different then anyone expects.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

OriGin said:
dallas said:

No.

LOL. No.

PS3 isn't going to kick arse or ramp up this year until VERY late in the year, if at all.  Home aint gonna do shit because only nerds know about it so far and people are going to pay $600 just to use HOME.

This post sounds so familiar to during March when the Sony fans were claiming that Motorstorm, VF5 and LBP and Home announcements would drive sales.

BA-BOW (family feud style).

Not this year sorry buddy.

PS3 however IS NOT DOOMED, Sony have a way of doing consoles and I don't doubt that they will pick up late this year and into 2008.

You aren't really correcting me because we are saying the same thing, although I did leave the timetable for the PS resurgence out of my post. 

Quick Reply. Not Yet.