By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which works better: Wii Remote Plus or PlayStation Move?

Which works better: Wii Remote Plus or PlayStation Move?

Wii Remote Plus 148 36.63%

Equal 16 3.96%

PlayStation Move 158 39.11%

Have just tried one or no... 81 20.05%

Total:403
ArnoldRimmer said:
d21lewis said:
Well WM+ is still being supported via Wii U. Just putting that out there.

And Move is still being supported via PS4, and it will be even more supported via PS4 once Project Morpheus releases.

Good to know.  My Move sits in the same drawer as my Wii Remotes and My PS4 sits inches from my Wii U.

Now I already have games like Nintendo Land that support WM+ on Wii U.  Which PS4 games should I grab to support my Move?

Around the Network

I hate both of them
but i like how the wii mote can be an NES controller.

going with it just for that reason

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

The Move is the more accurate motion controller because it can track depth (that's the reason for that giant light bulb). Skyward Sword never felt like 1:1 control to me because the Wiimote can't track depth, so like if you moved the Wiimote closer or further from your body (like a person actually holding a sword), the Wii can't pick up that. It can only register the angle of the slash but nothing more.

The Wiimote has the better pointer though, but even there it seems like Nintendo doesn't use the IR pointer much anymore.

Easily the Move if we are talking about gaming... For other special purposes then both of them are equally good! ;)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wiimote, because I like Nintendo games.

Certainly Move. Poll results are...interesting.

Around the Network

PS Move is more accurate, but its games are mostly bad. WiiRemote+ has the IR pointer and there are lots of good games that use it (some that don't even use Motion+). In most games, I think that motion controllers should not try to reproduce our moviments perfectly, in some cases it can just spoil the fun. Just imagine if Just Dance read our movements exactly like reality, it would not be just as fun.

My vote goes for WiiRemote+, even having inferior tech, because it seems to be more adequate for gaming, so I'd say it works better in its purpose.

Move uses camera tracking. Wii's approach is pretty much the opposite of Move. Wii-mote doesn't have an IR pointer in the controller. PS Move has the light sphere as a marker that will be tracked by the PS Eye camera. In the Wii, the sensors bar actually just have infrared LEDs that will act as a marker (you can replace the bar by two candles and it will work with some loss of precision, but will work) while the controller has the actual sensor and detects the LEDs in the sensors bar.

Additionally, both have accelerometers and gyroscopes (Wii Remote Plus and Move only). Wii mote Plus uses accelerometers, a 2-axis gyroscope and a 2-axis angular sensor. Move uses accelerometers, a 3-axis gyroscope and a 3-axis angular sensor in addition to a magnetometer that will help to calibrate the controller on-the-fly. In that aspects, move will be more precise, but not by much.

Aboutthe tracking, the camera on the Wii Mote is 128x96 while the PS Eye uses 320x240 to capture data. The Wii works at 100hz while the PS Eye tracks at 120hz. And it's necessary to consider that the object tracked by the Wii Mote is considerably smaller than the sphere in PS Move, making the lower resolution even more critical. In the end, PS Move is way more advanced in this case.

About the processing time, both use Bluetooth for communication and are probably similar. The processing time is hard to compare. PS Move is processed on the console using Cell's SPUs. These should do the Move much better since PS3 outperforms Wii by far, but most of the motion processing on the Wii is done by dedicated processors in the controller. In the end, the calculations are pretty simple (Wii uses a simple triangulation and the PS3 just detects a colored circle's position and size and both of them combine it with the motion sensors data) and are pretty fast to perform in both machines.

The comparison is actually far from fair. Wii Mote uses mainly 2005-2006 tech with the addition of extra sensors later, while the actual tracking tech remained unchanged. Move uses 2008-2009 tech and that will give a clear edge. Move has the advantage of having the sensing in the console and camera, so a console/camera upgrade like PS4/PS Camera can improve it by quite a margin since the controller itself has only basic tech (sensors and a RGB LED).

Soundwave said:
The Move is the more accurate motion controller because it can track depth (that's the reason for that giant light bulb). Skyward Sword never felt like 1:1 control to me because the Wiimote can't track depth, so like if you moved the Wiimote closer or further from your body (like a person actually holding a sword), the Wii can't pick up that. It can only register the angle of the slash but nothing more.

The Wiimote has the better pointer though, but even there it seems like Nintendo doesn't use the IR pointer much anymore.

The distance between the sensor bar LED's is known, so depth can be determined by the wiimote via triangulation.

adriane23 said:
oniyide said:
adriane23 said:
The Move the best motion control peripheral ever created. It's also the least supported next to the Power Glove.

um no, that honor goes to WIimotion+ far less games for it than Move

Touché good sir. Touché.

If we're counting that though, then I think the original EyeToy trumps even the WiiMotion+.

wiimotion+ is easily one of the worst supported addons in recent gaming history. and its one of the best selling ones, at least Move had an excuse and even then the support for it was pretty decent

d21lewis said:
Well WM+ is still being supported via Wii U. Just putting that out there.

name the games. and i mean PLUS not just the motion control