By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves Naughty Dog

DerNebel said:
sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

According to the theory being discussed, it is.

Origional quote was "talent goes where the money is"

I interpret that as "Sony can't pay the bills so people leave". Simple deductment.

Just to spell it out for you. If talent goes where the money is, why is Bungie (a very talented developer) not with MS (an extremely rich company) anymore?

I took it that the original comment was referring to Corinne Yu moving to Naughty Dog from a Microsoft studio

Around the Network

What the f**k is going on over there at Sony???

fps_d0minat0r said:
sales2099 said:

I interpret that as "Sony can't pay the bills so people leave". Simple deductment.

but if sony are poor then bungie must be talentless

edit: btw tons of people have left MS and nintendo too.

My response had no part in its mention, just Sonys.  Should have clarified that

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

celador said:
DerNebel said:
sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Just to spell it out for you. If talent goes where the money is, why is Bungie (a very talented developer) not with MS (an extremely rich company) anymore?

I took it that the original comment was referring to Corinne Yu moving to Naughty Dog from a Microsoft studio

I was talking about the "are you calling MS poor or Bungie talentless?" comment. Corinne Yu never worked for Bungie.

I took the original comment by Dark_Feanor basically as "Sony's too poor for good developers."

badgenome said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

THen yes that makes sense...but I would atleast wait until maybe E3 before making that judgement. They might FINALLY be keeping everything hush about games they have going on instead of making all leaks like before. Time will tell though.

Sure, they're certainly rumored to have a lot of great stuff to show. Hopefully some of that materializes because expectations are going to be high. In the meantime people are bound to get antsy when all they're getting is silence from Sony and story after story about layoffs or people leaving (Hennig, Tretton, etc). For now the PS4 does have a less than inspiring line up so far, although to be fair I think people have forgotten how typical that is for a console in its first year and so don't appreciate how good it actually is by historical standards.

Yeah the people leaving would make people antsy so that indeed does make a lot of sense. I guess I know not to jump the gun and wait things out before making a decision. And that last point THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only one who realized this. For the consoles to have only been out a good 5 months they have some VERY good games already! No launch has ever been this good within the first 5-6 months. That's why I don't get the "games" complaint people are having....it is crazy lol.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
sales2099 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

That is because bungie didn't want to make more halo games.

welp another great franchise thats gonna take a nose dive do to internal issues this is gonna be similar to COD after IW left the quality was impacted

Play Me

Cheebee said:

Haven't a lot of employees from ND been leaving the company for a long while now? I remember last year a few studios hiring ND devs, Retro among them.

Ready at Dawn, Big Red Button, Retro Studios and Valve to name a few, all have former ND employees. The reailty is the studio fluctuates in size depending on the stage of production, but usually has a headcount of over 200 employees.

It seems to be only rather recently that we've all been closely following the movements of employees between studios. I would say a big part of that is to do with the growth of social media since before the 7th generation. A new generation seems to bring about a huge amount of change and turmoil for some studios. If you take a look at the history of ND, the jump to PS3 hardware and the ensuing difficulties for the developers saw a large amount of employees leave the studio. They had numbers dropping every month, during their self proclaimed 'dark times'. In the end they think they emerged a stronger studio, with the survival of the fittest mentality meaning they were left with only those who were good enough to make it.

Given that we know ND are talented developers -the ICE Team are based in their studio- and the apparent ease of development on the new hardware, we can presume that it may not be pressure this time around, but perhaps creative differences that are seeing top level veterans move on. This of course, marks the first time as a studio, that ND don't have a new IP to begin a new generation. For some, that could mean working on their 4th Uncharted game, so working on the same IP for the past 10 years now.

It's specualtion, but if you remember the reason the teams were actually split to make TLOU was because internally it was recognized that some were becoming restless working on the same IP and creatively wanted to branch out into new spaces. The studio heads split them and promoted others in an effort to basically keep them from leaving the studio.

kowenicki said:
chapset said:
HesAPooka said:
kowenicki said:
badgenome said:
kowenicki said:

Yeah... as I said earlier.  There is no bad news in Playstation land.  Ever.

Reading lessons for everyone!

I have read it, I understand what has happened completely.  Now... why is this not bad news?  Or rather, how is this good news?

You're the one turning this into a bad or good news thing. He mearly said he wasn't fired. Comes back to that whole reading thing.

Gotta win the console war somehow, every battle count

saying this is bad news is console warz?  seriously? its a very natural and understandable observation actually.

still if you think all of these movements are good news.. thats fine too.

Stop famebaiting. No one said anything about news, good or bad other than yourself. Jeeze, you're need to spin things is unbelievably scary.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

I hope Shu gets this mess resolved.

The 2013 line up was far too good. God of War Ascension, Pupetteer and Gran Tourismo 6 shouldn´t have been done on the PS3....and the less is said about Driveclub the better.

The PS4 has a serious lack of good heavy hitting exclusives with Infamous.....beeing the only one.

....he is very likable, but that was a straight fuck up on his part !