By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma Suggests Future Zelda Games Could Feature A Top Down View

Dr.Grass said:

Totally makes sense.

They're making theirMario games 2d like the SNES iterations and they're making Zelda top down also like the SNES iterations. It's just too much work for them to compete with the huge AAA games of today, so they're going this route to avoid direct comparisons.

Sure, 3D Land and World are 2D games ;)

Hey guys, Aonuma said future Zeldas, not necessairly Zelda U...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
JEMC said:
There are puzzles and other situations (like being on a labyrinth) where using a top-down camera makes a lot more sense than the on-the-shoulders one, so I can see a Zelda game where the camera would change from one to the other according to the situation.

There's nothing wrong with that.

agreed.

Eh. Just understand that top-down isn't my cup of tea and I would much prefer a classic 3rd person perspective. I understand some games (like ALBW) call for something different,just don't expect me to be rushing to buy it.

I'm more concerned with the gameplay twists. ALBW called for the top down in part because of the style, but also because the twist--becoming a painting--required it. Unless both the twist and the aesthetic require top-down, go 3rd person.

3D zelda on tv.
top-down view on gamepad.

everybody is happy!

jonathanalis said:
3D zelda on tv.

everybody is happy!

That would require weird design compromises, though. Could any of the 3D Zelda games be played top-down as-is?

World design would have to conform to meet both, which could create something of an abomination.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
jonathanalis said:
3D zelda on tv.

everybody is happy!

That would require weird design compromises, though. Could any of the 3D Zelda games be played top-down as-is?

World design would have to conform to meet both, which could create something of an abomination.

You can try it on windwaker by moving the camera angle in such way. However, I think only few parts of the game allowed it like the spider and snake ganon puppets. Those fights can be done with a bird eye angle and they look pretty impressive that way.

t3mporary_126 said:
Mr Khan said:
jonathanalis said:
3D zelda on tv.

everybody is happy!

You can try it on windwaker by moving the camera angle in such way. However, I think only few parts of the game allowed it like the spider and snake ganon puppets. Those fights can be done with a bird eye angle and they look pretty impressive that way.

Hmm, i never tried the snake top-down.

Would probably make it much easier (though i never had the hardest time with that fight, those shots are tough to pull off from Link's view).

They don't have the balls, they wouldnt

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Soriku said:
spurgeonryan said:
Have they lost their damn minds? Just give us the tomb raider/nathan drake looking game we so long for.

What?

Im assuming spurge meant a Zelda title that doesnt have some "unique" artstyle, just to make it stand out.

For example.

Except well... Zelda.

Imagine it. A more realistic, graphically intense LoZ title. Would be glorious.

Carl2291 said:
Soriku said:
spurgeonryan said:
Have they lost their damn minds? Just give us the tomb raider/nathan drake looking game we so long for.

What?

Im assuming spurge meant a Zelda title that doesnt have some "unique" artstyle, just to make it stand out.

For example.

Except well... Zelda.

Imagine it. A more realistic, graphically intense LoZ title. Would be glorious.

It wouldn't fit, really. The closest they got was Twilight Princess, and even that had a stylized flair to it (similar to OoT or MM back in the day, when graphics technology didn't make much difference between Tomb Raider or Resident Evil and Zelda, you could still tell Zelda was going for something different).

Though the detail of that scene does show what could be accomplished with something similar to TP on a machine with twice the RAM and more advanced effects than the machines that produced that screenshot.