By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma Suggests Future Zelda Games Could Feature A Top Down View

KylieDog said:
toot1231 said:
KylieDog said:

Nintendo skimping on dev budget because the game will not sell as much due to low userbase. I said this would happen many months ago.  SSB isn't going to include cutscenes either, skimping again.  I'd accuse Mario Kart of skimping but that series does it anyway with half the tracks being recycled from old games.

now, thats just crazy talk.

nintendo feeds on our nostalgia thats why they include things like retro tracks.

You actually believe that, don't you.

*chortles*

And you have no proof of your accusaton of skimping dev budgets.

We don't know anything about the next Zelda game. Money not spent on CG doesn't neccesarilly have to mean skimping on budget, money could be spent elsewhere in SSB. Just because track layouts are being reuse doesn't mean the same as using the same track assets, nor does it indicate the cost/budget involved. 

Around the Network

So, we still have no concrete info on what the next Zelda will be.
All Aonuma said about the next Zelda game is they will keep in mind when thinking about the next zelda game. Basically, just like any brainstorming on what to do or make.

Honestly, it seems pretty clear to me that he's not referring to Zelda U. The only mention of the Wii U is speculation on the part of the article's author. And the fact that he says 'future' indicates to me that it's a game that hasn't been started in earnest yet (which Zelda U most certainly has), most likely for the 3DS. I don't think there's any need to panic and get our pitchforks out just yet.

Meh, I'm not worried, there's no way they'd ever use a top-down view for Zelda U.

For the next handheld Zelda, sure, would make perfect sense, seeing how all handheld Zeldas (with the exception of OOT 3D) have only ever used a top-down view.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

i think hes talking abiut Handheld only here...
still as some suggested, a ability to change fron 3rd person to top down at key points sounds like a hood idea to me for the WiiU Zelda

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

Nintendo skimping on dev budget because the game will not sell as much due to low userbase. I said this would happen many months ago.  [...]

Well, past rumors say that you're dead wrong:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-for-wii-u-in-2014-report/1100-6394633/

To be fair though, those statements were made before WiiU's sales were as disappointing as they are at this juncture, but I highly doubt that any progress made on such an ambitious project would be scrapped mid-cycle in favor of going cheaper.  My guess would be Zelda U pulling a "Twilight Princess" with Nintendo's next console.

KylieDog said:
nomad said:
KylieDog said:
toot1231 said:
KylieDog said:

Nintendo skimping on dev budget because the game will not sell as much due to low userbase. I said this would happen many months ago.  SSB isn't going to include cutscenes either, skimping again.  I'd accuse Mario Kart of skimping but that series does it anyway with half the tracks being recycled from old games.

now, thats just crazy talk.

nintendo feeds on our nostalgia thats why they include things like retro tracks.

You actually believe that, don't you.

*chortles*

And you have no proof of your accusaton of skimping dev budgets.

We don't know anything about the next Zelda game. Money not spent on CG doesn't neccesarilly have to mean skimping on budget, money could be spent elsewhere in SSB. Just because track layouts are being reuse doesn't mean the same as using the same track assets, nor does it indicate the cost/budget involved. 

I'm sure you can make an excuse for every single bit of evidence of budget skimping.

I wasn't making excuses, I was just saying you don't know and can't know if they are skimping budget or not (alteast not with those "evidence"). 

Also FYI, Nintendo increased their R&D budget, up by 15B yen over thier forecast. I'm not saying that disproves your accusations, but it makes your "evidence" look weaker. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/140117/index.html

...Do it EA . I really love the Alttp style of gameplay. If he went with it for Zelda U, I'd be more than pleased.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Relax, people. Zelda U won't be top-down and it won't be cel-shaded. Expect a similar thing to the Zelda tech demo years ago but with improved visuals.

Carl2291 said:
The best Zelda game is topdown, so this is good.

Seriously though, 3D Zelda on the TV with a topdown view on the Gamepad. Do it, Aonuma. Best of both worlds, could be cool for puzzles.

Now THAT might actually work. People couldn't complain as long as both styles were present, and it would have all sorts of potential for puzzles. It would be kind of lame if the Gamepad was just a map and inventory screen all the time. It could have a map tab, inventory tab, and view tab. They could make some sort of in game explanation for it too, like the pictobox explained screenshots or the message bottles explained Miiverse. Might be an item that allows a bird's eye view, or an ability provided by Link's partner. Would give the partner more use than just being a walking, ever talking tutorial like Fi or Navi.