By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone really care about Virtual Reality gaming?

Do you look forward to VR gaming?

Yes 91 51.70%

No 52 29.55%

Indifferent 33 18.75%

Total:176

When it gets commercialized it's gonna be amazing I believe.
It's not ready yet, but at some point in the future, this will be the standard.

Around the Network

You may be right that VR is 3D 2.0, but I still think it has potential.

I voted indifferent because I'm sick to death of Oculus hyping the crap out of a product they clearly have no intention of shipping this decade.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I'm very interested in trying it, as those who were able to experience Oculus' new Crystal Cove prototype or Valve's prototype were very enthusiastic about it.

a reactions video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ7KFJLVJyQ

I really don´t know, as I never experienced it. =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

It depends. Anything to do with a TV set or some LCD-filled helmet is not going to be my thing.

Something akin to Nerve Gear from SAO is completely different and I would absolutely play with that, provided (and I shouldn't even have to say this) it had safeties appropriate for an end consumer device. And we're actually pretty close to that. There's a youtube video of a computer reading a memory off someone's mind. Close, however, probably means another twenty years.

The problem, however, is likely to be NPC AI. If I played any of my current games in VR, the NPC AI would be so brokenly stupid it would ruin VR immersion. The first iteration would HAVE to be MOBAs or MMO's purely because the technology wouldn't be there to support NPC characters in a single player game.

Around the Network

People don't understand what VR is and can do exactly, otherwise they would not say NO. I have the impression that people think that since 3D TV or the Sony personal viewer is not exactly a revelation, VR is not a revelation in it's entirety. Oh, how wrong you are.
Keep in mind that for the brain to be visually fooled into thinking it's in the picture, the stereoscopic image needs to have certain strict requirements:
1. Full field of view coverage (not 3Dtv nor the Sony viewer headset do that).
2. Good enough image, well implemented perspective, no crosstalk. (3D TV doesn't do that, the Sony 3d viewer does an ok job of it).

But these new devices (well, device for now), do all those things and do them well (enough, given the prototype status).
=> Hello convincing VR!!

Boy, will there be much more news of people throwing away their real lives by living in a virtual one all the time after this.

I am in the yes camp for any new form of gaming. But, like anything else, I will try it before I before giving my official yay or nay. Like anything gaming wise, content is king, and one really good example can spur success.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
one really good example can spur success.

This one got me really interested:

Seems interesting but I'm not sure how practical it is, but also having motion sickness probably influences that.

I´ve never tried it before, but I´m interested.

I can only say whether or not I care once I´ve tried it.