By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Gravity Deserved Best Picture at the Oscars!

Tagged games:

You honestly thought a film starring 2 rich white people would over a movie called "12 Years a Slave"..... Come on you saw this coming.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Gravity completely deserved to win Best Picture. 12 Years a Slave won on moral ground. It feels like a more serious more important movie so the Academy awarded to make it seem honorable.

When will a sci-fi film win Best Picture? Star Wars, 2001, ET, Inception, District 9, Avatar (I hate this film), the time was last night damn it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

bigjon said:
You honestly thought a film starring 2 rich white people would over a movie called "12 Years a Slave"..... Come on you saw this coming.

The only thing gurateed to win most of the time is a song from a Disney movie if one gets noninated it wins about 75% of the time.  Ordinary Love should have won because it was the best song nominated and I'm not even a big U2 fan well at least the Golden Globes got it right.

Gravity was terrible. I can't believe it was even nominated.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

The Oscars were very predictable this year but I have to disagree. 12 Years a Slave deserved Best Picture.

The the entire acting of the cast was absolutely outstanding, to me especially Michael Fassbender. Their acting helped deliver a far more moving story than Gravity.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
DamnTastic said:
I agree.
12 years a slave isn't a bad movie, I saw it. But there were moments... like when Solomon is just staring in front of him for like a minute. The movie was good, but at the end I was happy it was over and left me thinking.

Gravity I didn't want to end.

I think 12 years a slave just won because racial tension is still a big thing in the US.

or media still portrays it to be a big issue. racism will never end in the US because the media will never let it, but hey what can you do, racism sells, it makes money. 

lol, racism is real...

Gravity was amazing, but so was 12 years a slave. I would say I enjoyed Gravity more, but 12 years a Slave had a more powerful affect on me when all was said and done, nearly bought me to tears.

Danman27 said:
I completely disagree. I think that gravity deserved every award it got, but it didn't deserve film of the year. It deserved every technical award, but that's it. It was visually stunning, but twelve years a slave was far better in respect to acting and story. It said far more than gravity did (just about nothing except "hey this looks cool!"), and I believe that is what film of the year is reserved for.

This, although I think Sandra Bullocks performance deserved more praise and the film did have some relevant comentary on life and death IMO

Cross-X said:
The Oscars were very predictable this year but I have to disagree. 12 Years a Slave deserved Best Picture.

The the entire acting of the cast was absolutely outstanding, to me especially Michael Fassbender. Their acting helped deliver a far more moving story than Gravity.

I have yet to see it (Seeing Dallas Buyer Club this Wednesday) , but did he deserve best actor over Leo and Chiwetel?

Also Personally I am getting annoyed by the Leo deserves it based on the logic that he has never won one. If people actually say he deserves it based on wolf on wallstreet, I am okay with it, but just based on the mere fact that he deserves one for everything he has done. . . not so much. 

(Also not a fan of Gravity, visually impressive, but thats about it.)

teigaga said:
Danman27 said:
I completely disagree. I think that gravity deserved every award it got, but it didn't deserve film of the year. It deserved every technical award, but that's it. It was visually stunning, but twelve years a slave was far better in respect to acting and story. It said far more than gravity did (just about nothing except "hey this looks cool!"), and I believe that is what film of the year is reserved for.

This, although I think Sandra Bullocks performance deserved more praise and the film did have some relevant comentary on life and death IMO

Her performance was ok, but going from being helplessly dependent on George Cloony to rewriting the Soyoz software to perform a flawless orbital transfer with 1 explosive burn didn't sit right. Well a lot didn't sit right.

On the blu-ray, in the extras, you get to see the other side of the conversation she has with the ground. That added some substance to the scene. Then Cloony had to ruin the moment :/ A bettter sequence would have been, her daughter died in a car accident due to a faulty airbag. She relives the accident during her low oxygen state in the capsule and makes the connection between air bag and landing jets. And that realization saves her.

Anyway the movie got what it deserves. Has a movie ever won best picture without a win for writing / screenplay or any of the actors? It shouldn't.