By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Gravity Deserved Best Picture at the Oscars!

Tagged games:

The Wind Rises should've gotten best animated film...just wanted to add that

Around the Network

"Deserve an Oscar" is quite an oxymoron. That being said, I haven't seen Gravity yet, but I think it will be a let down with all this hype -.-

dreamcast210 said:
I'm sorry, but for you to say that the story was perfect is laughable.

It's a cliche survival story. The characters (all two of them) didn't need any depth layered onto the plot because all that mattered is if they lived. So they could be shallow characters (very shallow) that go from point A to point B to point C and so on until they survive or die.

On visuals and sound, I agree. But the story? Come on. You're just fooling yourself.

By the way, do you think that flying debris was a living entity? I do. It only attacked once Sandra Bullock was at each station and not before.

And by the way, why couldn't Sandra Bullock simply pull George Clooney back once she grabbed his tether and their momentum stopped? Why, when he unhooked, did he fly back like his momentum never stopped and she snapped back in a similar way? That part took me out of the movie because they set it up with text with facts of space and then totally ruin the illusion through inaccurate physics at a crucial plot point.

You are making your point over mistakes such as that? This movie isn't a documentary. It tries it's hardest to get things right, and it blow other space movies out of the water in this aspect at times.

Also, please tell me you think some other movie besides 12 Years A Slave deserved Best Picture, because a slave movie? That's definitely been done before.

I haven't seen Gravity myself, but many of my friends have watched it and they had nothing positive to say about it. After playing so much Kerbal Space Program, I'm sure a lot of the unfeasible scenarios would piss me off too.

Gravity was a decent movie, but there were so many technical errors with the script and story that I found myself really hating it halfway through. perhaps if the story qasn't so riddled with holes it might have deserved best picture, but as it stands I would definitely vote against it.

Around the Network

The Best Picture award is about box ticking

12 Years A Slave

Historical [✓]
Drama [✓]
Biopic [✓]
Ethnic [✓]
Relevance to American Culture [✓]

Argo

Historical [✓]
Drama [✓]
Biopic [✓]
Ethnic [✓]
About The Entertainment Industry [✓]

The Artist

Historical [✓]
Drama [✓]
About The Entertainment Industry [✓]

The King's Speech

Historical [✓]
Drama [✓]
Biopic [✓]
Actor Portrays a Disability [✓]

I completely disagree. I think that gravity deserved every award it got, but it didn't deserve film of the year. It deserved every technical award, but that's it. It was visually stunning, but twelve years a slave was far better in respect to acting and story. It said far more than gravity did (just about nothing except "hey this looks cool!"), and I believe that is what film of the year is reserved for.

DamnTastic said:
I agree.
12 years a slave isn't a bad movie, I saw it. But there were moments... like when Solomon is just staring in front of him for like a minute. The movie was good, but at the end I was happy it was over and left me thinking.

Gravity I didn't want to end.

I think 12 years a slave just won because racial tension is still a big thing in the US.

Yes, "12 years" won because the Academy has to be as "inclusive" as possible. Because of political correctness in Hollywood, I can no longer take the Oscars seriously and I knew ahead of time that no matter how good any of the other films were, "12 Years" would win without a doubt. I also feel that had it lost, the inevitable "racism" backlash would be heard over and over. If you disagree, I appreciate your opinion but it would not change mine.

Try to do at least ONE good deed everyday....

Lol no, I don't think so.

I loved gravity, but it's not really a good movie.

Im just surprised that frozen won something, not a very good movie, but oh well the competition was not too great I believe.

Wolf of the Wall Street deserved the win in my opinion and so did LEO dammit!

PSN ID: clemens-nl