By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 5 under-performing games, AND WHY...

Tagged games:

DmC Devil May Cry had way too much squirrel semen for my liking.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I agree so hard on DmC and Spec Ops. Two of my favorite games of 2013 (the time when I played them) that were overshadowed by the saturation of shooters in the market and needless fanboy nostalgia.

I liked just about everything in DmC. Granted, it is my first Devil may cry game but i have followed the other games close enough to get an idea of the games. Character designs were great, the themes were also spot on and the gameplay was phenomenal.

Spec Ops was a masterpiece in many ways. The combat and gameplay is average but the story telling and gruesome depiction of war and how desensitized towards violence we have become as a society. It simply shows that your are not always on the right path or the just path. The lines of justice get blurry in the heat of war.

I wish those games would have sold millions, but I am at least glad I got the chance to experience them.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Lawlight said:
TornadoCreator said:
Lawlight said:
DmC sold 1.4M. That's more than the original release of DMC3.

Not according the VGChartz. DMC3 sold 2.09 million, and the Special Edition sold a further 2.21 million. So that's 4.3 million sales overall. It lists the sales for DmC as 0.68 millon on PS3, and 0.33 millon on Xbox 360, if you search DmC, it adds them together as 1.01 millon (so it's rounding them down slightly there). Even if we only consider the original release Devil May Cry 3 sold more than twice what DmC sold according to VGChartz figures. If you have more accurate figures by all means link them.

I prefer to use Capcom's numbers. Always official numbers when I have access to them. We can compare DMC3's special edition to DmC's special edition when the latter comes out but, in the meantime, DmC outsold DMC3.

No it didn't. Even if we use Capcoms figures, 1.4 million is still less than 2.09 million. DMC3 sold more.

The Wonderful 101 is also underrated and lacks decent sales. Currently at 170,000 units sold worldwide with a Metacritic Score: 78/100.

Spec Ops the Line kicked so much ass.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

What about Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?? What, too soon =P

Mummelmann said:
A well-written OP with actual effort put into it? What is this?!

It's nice to know it's appreciated. I'll make sure to put effort into future threads as well, after all we're here to discuss games right :P

Nem said:
TornadoCreator said:
Nem said:

DMC is past 1.3 millions after the last capcom results.

Might have a terrible character design and lame story, but boy is it fun to play. Real time destructable envyronments, free camera, ability to "teleport" towards enemies or teleport enemies to your location. The degree of freedom is insane. I hadnt enjoyed a game like this in a long time.
Shame for Donte and the story. Ninja Theory thought they knew what cool is, but they dont. They just know what fun gameplay is.

I would still be surprised if Capcom doesnt ask them to make a sequal. They got delivered a really good product. Without the PR mess, they have a sure-fire hit.

I was basing my numbers off VGCharts database, but I'm glad to hear DmC is selling better.

I have to disagree when it comes to character design and story. What's lame about it? No-one ever explains this, they just say it matter-of-fact, as though it's obvious. Why isn't this new Dante cool? He seems cool to me. In the first scene we see him in, he gets dressed in slow motion, whilst saying quips, while the trailer he's in is being destroyed by a daemon complete with Austin Powers style censoring, it's so remeniscent of Devil My Cry 3's pool table pizza scene that it actually felt nostalgic. In levels he's dismissive and sarcastic, the same way he's always been only this time he's actually good at it. The new voice actor is very good and has a subtlety the previous voice actors, (especially DMC2) didn't. Sure, in this game Dante is a little lazy and somewhat obnoxious which makes him somewhat unlikeable at first, but he always was both in the previous games and in the animé, and giving him character flaws makes him into an actual character rather than a male Mary Sue. I've still yet to hear why he's a poor character from anyone who doesn't either contradict themselves, or use justifications that are flat out lies.

Now, story wise... how on earth can this be lame? It's a story about the subtle control and corruption of human society by daemons by using consumerism, media, and debt to control them. This is literally a sci-fi dystopian classic. It's the plot tropes of 'They Live', George Orwells '1984', 'Soylent Green' etc. merged with the demon lore of the original games. I honestly cannot understand how people can consider this story lame unless they simply didn't understand it, especially if they liked the story of the original Devil May Cry series, as it's literally the same story but improved in every way. Major plot holes are closed, characters are more well rounded, the daemons have actual motive, human society isn't just convieniently ignored... it's more grounded and consistent, and that gives the entire story a stronger foundation. Again, no-one has ever explained to me why this story is inferior to the original, they just declare it is, and fanboy whine when I disagree.

Now, I'm not saying people have to love DmC and that the originals are suddenly bad, but like many things, DmC as far as I can see is a remake that improved on all the shortcomings of the original but that fans rejected because... fuck knows, fanboys do that apparently. They did it with Metroid: Other M, they did it with the new Robocop and Total Recall films. It's something I'll never understand, but hating remakes just because they're remakes/reimaginings seems to be expected now. I'll never understand it.

I do not find immaturity and delinquents cool. Cause thats what he is for the most part. Yeah he is helping save the world, but its because he wants revenge for his parents. How is this a cool person? Maybe for you, but not for me. He does get better as the game advances, but its still all very forced.

The story is dumb cause the villain is dumb. He is portraid as really evil and powerful and was a weak and pathetic villain. Caring for his unborn child? He can make more! He got one upped by a couple of dumbsters, he didnt kill the girl when he clearly had nothing to lose for it. It was all so very convenient, dumb and boring. So yes... the story was lame.

This was all in all a very juvenile set of characters and story events. I do prefer events that are a bit more... intricate. And should i bring up Vergil's downfall?! What the hell was that? Door to paradise closes until he is even more evil? lol

I don't see how being disenfranchised with society, showing the effects of abandonment, familial attachment, grief, and the desire for revenge. I don't see how any of that is immature. Someone killing your parents is a pretty good motive for acting rashly, how would you act if it was your parents in that world. Don't think of it as a plot device, think of it as an event and it holds far more meaning. Again, the "villian" doesn't kill when he gets the chance, true, but taking a life isn't easy... although conversely being callous and cruel, and indeed taking a life is easy at times, hense Vergil's downfall is both an interesting twist and a point of character development. Not all character development has to be growth, and discrimination, dehumanisation etc. are very easy when you're personifying people as the enemy.

People are quick to right off stories as trope filled, cliché, immature, or dumb; but with a little reflection maybe you'll see more depth. Take the time to absorb it rather than trying to find fault with it and you may enjoy it more, and if not, that's a pity for you as I feel you're genuinely missing out.

I agree with you on Spec Ops: The Line, that games was freaking solid...one of the most overlooked games last gen

DMC was expected....the people wanted their white-haired protagonist...the same thing happened when SP tried to re-invent Cole from Infamous...we weren't haven't it and they changed him back...

Remember Me...was pretty bland...and the wasn't a lot(if any) hype towards its release..and ugh...I can't the X-mas fight out of my head....

A Game I would thrown in is Vanquish: Probably on of the best 3rd-Person shooters of the 7th-gen I had so much fun with this game, it was so polished and had a huge variety of ways to ways to kill your foes. The only problem with the game this it was ridiculously short...shame me might never get a sequel(specially because of the ending)

I wanted to like RM, but it was truly awful at times. The voice acting, dialogue and gameplay were paintful. DMC deserved much better sales, far better than the original series.

Sleeping Dogs deserves a mention here, the gameplay was fantastic. Butter smooth melee, solid gunplay and fun story. Should have sold millions.

HM: would go to Star Hawk, MAG, Alan Wake and Condemned. 

TornadoCreator said:

I don't see how being disenfranchised with society, showing the effects of abandonment, familial attachment, grief, and the desire for revenge. I don't see how any of that is immature. Someone killing your parents is a pretty good motive for acting rashly, how would you act if it was your parents in that world. Don't think of it as a plot device, think of it as an event and it holds far more meaning. Again, the "villian" doesn't kill when he gets the chance, true, but taking a life isn't easy... although conversely being callous and cruel, and indeed taking a life is easy at times, hense Vergil's downfall is both an interesting twist and a point of character development. Not all character development has to be growth, and discrimination, dehumanisation etc. are very easy when you're personifying people as the enemy.

People are quick to right off stories as trope filled, cliché, immature, or dumb; but with a little reflection maybe you'll see more depth. Take the time to absorb it rather than trying to find fault with it and you may enjoy it more, and if not, that's a pity for you as I feel you're genuinely missing out.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I have a completely different view, and i dont think there is anything quick about it as i have played the game to death and love the gameplay aspect. I think a demon doesnt care about humans and i think both Dante and Vergil are lame, especially compared to their more witty and badass selves from previous games. I just dont think we can agree on this.

Its a good game but on the character and story aspect it just isnt the same. I mean, should we even compare Kat to Trish or Lady?