By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Squeezol said:
Gah, this'll be bad for Mario Kart Wii online.. Especially the modded online communities etc.

Mario Kart8 though. Most will probably move on, see no reason not too.

Around the Network
Squeezol said:
Gah, this'll be bad for Mario Kart Wii online.. Especially the modded online communities etc.

Wont be the end of the world for them. Mario Kart 8 comes out soon after afterall!

_crazy_man_ said:

How are we being apologetic when this is kinda the norm?

Altrunio already pointed out Xbox shutting down its services after 8 years.  Over 7 years for this, and the PS2 was 9 years.

They've supported the DS online for over 3 years after the release of a new product, and the Wii for a 1 1/2 years.

In reality the only thing that might effect me is online battle / trading on my Soul Silver / White / Black 2.

But I have Y now so, meh.

Champions of Norrath,  Champions Return to Arms, and many others are still playable online on the PS2.  The original Xbox online wasn't shut down until four and a half years after the release of the 360.  This is one and a half years after the Wii U released.  Three years and a few months after the 3DS released.  It's even a bigger issue with the Wii and DS because that's 250 million users compared to the 24million Xbox users.  With 400% more sales, the Wii servers should have stayed up until 16 years after the release of the Wii U to be comparitive to the Xbox sales/years servers stayed online. 

If Nintendo wanted to force people to move onto the next consoles and get Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8, then they don't need to shut down the entire service.  There are still games on the DS and Wii that people play and no equivelant of these games on either the 3DS or the Wii U.

IsawYoshi said:
Squeezol said:

Mario Kart8 though. Most will probably move on, see no reason not too.

Well, I don't think MK8 will be as hackable as MK Wii, so there's your reason.

From what I gathered only private servers were up on the PS2 anymore, is that the case here?

We both know that only a small number of those 250 million users play online on a regular basis.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
RealGamingExpert said:
10 days before mk8 gets released? Maybe that was a good move so people would finally upgrade to a wii u.

That's how I see it.  Why get a Wii U when you can get a Wii and play Mario Kart online?  Well, unless you were a sucker and bought a Wii Mini. 

I wouldn't be surprised if MK servers got the most traffic out of everything.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:
I wouldn't be surprised if MK servers got the most traffic out of everything.

Me neither. Next to that is most probably Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That game has some neat multiplayer hacks as well but mainly just a very popular online Wii game.

I tried playing Brawl online once. It was shit.

Doesn't affect me at all, never owned a Wii or DS.