By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

think-man said:
sales2099 said:
Wait that's Wii's online network? wow that was fast.......

I agree, 360 will probably see at least 10 years or more before you hear about them closing the networks.

For a free service vs. a pay service it didn't do too bad.  X360 is also 8 years, 3 months old, so we'll see how long it will remain worthwhile and profitable for MS too.

Already posted but some longevity estimates here. -  http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102456392&postcount=302

OG Xbox
November 2002 → April 2010 (7 years & 5 months)

DS Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
November 2005 → May 2014 (8 years & 6 months)

Wii Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
December 2006 → May 2014 (7 years & 5 months)

EDIT: Also seems there might be more to the story (2 excerpts below from Reddit and NeoGAF respectively). :

Originally Posted by BumFrenzy of Reddit

This is because Wii and DS online are using Gamespy technology for their matchmaking service.

Unfortunately, Gamespy matchmaking was bought by Glu Mobile in August 2012. A bunch of games suddenly lost multiplayer matchmaking (Star Wars: Battlefront, Sniper Elite, Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Neverwinter Nights, etc.) without any notice. I imagine that Nintendo had contracts in place that made sure they couldn't shut down service until the contract had completed. My guess would be that Glu Mobile wanted to stop supporting Nintendo ASAP. I really doubt Nintendo would electively shut down service for Wii and DS unless they really had to.

Originally Posted by jimi_dini on NeoGAF

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/08/new-...eft-and-right/

Found a nice article about this

“A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them,” reads a statement from producer Steve Hart. “For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free.

“This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control. We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year – far in excess of how much we were paying previously.

“We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider, because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy’s middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

Nintendo seems to be in the similar situation.

Around the Network

I have had a DS lite for many years and never connected it to the internet. Am I the weird one here?

PS2|Wii|DS lite|3DS XL|PSP|Android

KylieDog said:
osed125 said:

He thinks the new Donkey Kong Country games are crap because they don't have King K. Rool.

Ignore the quoted post, he lives in extremes.

Then explain this nugget of yours:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6070126

If you're going to lie about your opinions, you may want to try actually covering up your own tracks so that they don't make you seem like a blatant liar (well, moreso than you already are).

Lumikki said:
I have had a DS lite for many years and never connected it to the internet. Am I the weird one here?

Nope. I tried a few online matches (Tetris DS for example) and after I got destroyed there (by some JP tetris god), I kinda stopped

KylieDog said:
think-man said:
This is what sucks about console gaming online, if this was PC it would never go down, someone else would just take over once the publishers had done there part

Tell that to a lot of Games for Windows Live games.  Capcoms especially.

Third parties open up servers all the time for old PC games, look at Age of Empires, still around all these years later.