By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dispelling the myth: Vita haz no gaemz (24+ beg to differ) [challenging the boundaries of what counts as a "game"!]

MikeRox said:

Which PS3 games had extra modes over the 360 version? I'm not even really aware of any that had excusive control inputs. Though touch screen inputs is a bit different to "six axis" or are you saying the PS3/360 versions of Rayman Legends completely trump the fact that it's on Wii U with control pad functionality?

That said I agree that the Vita does need to find it's own thing to give it a niche. I think the likes of Danganronpa, Toukiden, Sorcery Saga etc are now starting to provide that.

There's a couple of PS3 games that had extra stuff than the 360 version. From the top of my head: Star Ocean IV, Eternal Sonata, Ninja Gaiden 2, Batman AA, Tales of Graces f (originally a Wii game), Dead Space 2 or 3 (had an extra DS game on disc), etc. Some multiplats can also be played with Move which is an entirely different way of playing them, but those games still aren't perceived as an exclusive since the game is still basically the same (just played differently) and its not much of an incentive.

Around the Network
dane007 said:
@AERYS -- it depends on how you define teh phrase No games. For some ,, they expect games that provides unique experience that can only be found on ps vita. So games liek Assasin creed , uncharted , killzone don't appeal to teh masses ,, as they can get better experiences on home consoels for cheaper. Heck teh same assassin creed game on xbox 360 or ps3 has HD resolutionn, better framrate and so on and its cheaper plus you get to experience of a huge screen. Why would play uncharted on a small screen whe you ca get on glorious 60 inch? Example is Ace attorney or professor layton. You can't get taht game on consoles ,, let alone if it ever came on it, the experience is just not the same

Uncharted is not better on PS3 since it's a different game so the experience is absolutely not the same. It's like saying Mario Kart is useless on 3DS because it's better on Wii U.

You cant get Uncharted Vita on consoles, you cant get LBP Vita on consoles, you cant get Soul Sacrifice on consoles, you cant get Wipeout 2048 on consoles, you cant get Gravity RUsh on consoles, you cant get Ys Celceta on consoles, you cant get K : Mercenary on consoles (considering it's the best game of the serie with K 2 for most fans ), you cant get Tearaway on consoles, you cant get Demon Gaze  on consoles, you cant get Toukiden on consoles, you cant get Dangan Ronpa on consoles, ....

So like i said : There is only one way to define the phrase no games : troll/ignorant/casual gamers.

It's childish and silly to say a console has no games because you dont like the games, like if i said 360 has no games because i dont like 360 exclusives

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

MikeRox said:
JWeinCom said:

So why should a PS3 or 360 owner want to buy a Vita?  Unless they are really interested in portability, it would have to be for exclusives.  That's why people aren't counting multiplatform games.  If you don't own a PS3 or a 360 or a Vita, why would you choose a Vita over those consoles?  Again, the exclusives would have to be the reason (if you're not travelling alot), and the Vita is lacking in exclusives compared to pretty much any other system.

That's why people say the Vita has no gaemz.  Because multiplatform games do just about nothing to inspire someone to buy a console unless they happen to fall into a specific niche.  It's important to have multiplatform games (see Wii U), but exclusives are far more important.

If they're not interested in portability, why would they look at a handheld console full stop?

I phrased that poorly perhaps.  But at any rate, I play my 3DS on the train, but I spend just as much time playing it at home.  Why?  Becuase I can't play Bravely Default on my Wii U.  As for portability, of course people want portable systems for that.  The question is, am I going to pay $200 to play games that I'm likely going to buy on my home console anyway?  Or, would I want to spend that money on a system that has a lot of exclusives?  Why would I want to buy a system that can play the same games on the go instead of a device that has different games I can play on the go?  I'm not a fan of buying the same games twice.

However the spread of Vita games isn't just PS3/360 ports. There are also 3DS iOS and Android titles on it which also don't count because they're on another format. This is why the whole "no gaemz" argument falls flat, you actually need 4 systems to be able to cover all the non exclusive Vita content. And most people saying the Vita doesn't have any software don't have 4 systems...

No, there aren't that many games that are 3DS/PSVita.  Virtue's Last Reward... Arkham Origins: Blackgate... and..? 3DS library isn't a big factor.  That's not to mention the 3DS trounces the Vita in terms of exclusives.  As for a smart phone, most people have one of those already, and most everything that's available on Vita is available on Droid.  Few games are big enough for Vita that don't come to both IOS and Droid.

So I need a smartphone which I most likely have, and I need a PS3 or a 360 which, if I'm a gamer, I likely already have.  If I only have an iPhone and a PS3 there might be a few droid exclusive games I missed out on, but not too many that I'd really want to play.  I need two devices that I likely already have.

That's not to mention that if I only have a Vita, I'm missing out on tons of games.  COD, GTAV, The Last of Us, Gears of War, Super Mario 3D Land, Bravely Default, Arkham Origins, Fifa 14 (non legacy edition), Street Fighter IV,  etc etc etc.  So, it's not like a Vita would be a substitute for these devices.  If I own any one of them, which is exceedingly likely for any perspective Vita owner, then I'm better off buying whatever I'm missing instead of a Vita.  Even if I won't get 100% of the Vita's multiplats, I'll get access to many more games by going for another device.

Did you play all the PS1/PSP games that interested you as well? This is why it's dispelling the myth of "no gaemz".

Actually, yeah I have.  I've been meaning to check out FF9, but that's about it, and I can access that on a PS3 or a PSP if I have one.   If I have bought any Sony console over the last decade and a half I can play PS1 games.

Basically, you're saying I should buy a Vita for all of the stuff that's not exclusive to it, which is a pretty weak argument.  I most likely own a home console which will give me 65% of the multiplat content on the Vita.  I likely own a smart phone, ipad, ipod, or android tablet, which will give me access to another 30% of the multiplat content.  

So if I own a home console already and want to play ios or droid games, why would I choose the Vita over an android tablet or a smartphone?  If I own a smartphone and don't own a tablet why would I choose a Vita over a PS3?  

The only reason I would want to get a Vita to play these games instead of another system is if I really wanted to play the Vita's exclusive games.  It all comes down to exclusives in the end, and the Vita doesn't have them.  Ergo, Vita has no gamez. 

@Conina. Yea but when teh game came out for DS,, it used the DS functionality in a smart and unique way that you can't do on teh GBA verison or the WII version. GBA version didn't have touch which was useful and fun to use for ds. Heck you shout "Objection"! which gave you teh sense thatyou are lawyer even though you sound stupid saying lol. you can't do those things on either Wii , GBA . You can use teh Wii mote but thats slow and no really intuitive for controller scheme. I rather use the touchscreen of teh ds with teh stylus. Ipad and iphone version came out later on. It wasn't there during the time When DS peaked or when the game first came out. Professor layton came before teh Vita version of a simlar sort. I don't own a iphone as i hate apple products but cetainly the quality of it won't match a quality of a proper AAA game. What are the games on the IOS taht similar to Layton?

naruball said:
TarHeeLsALLday said:
Vita has a terrible library of AAA games. If you love indies and niche Japanese games you'll probably like it. It doesn't appeal to anyone else though.

I really don't get this kind of statements. I mean, can you seriously not phrase it any better? Of course it appeals to people who don't like indies or Japanese games. Why do you think it got a boost in the west last year when COD declassified and Assassin's Creed: Liberation were released. It obviously doesn't appeal to the masses, but "anyone else"?  Can you honestly claim that all 7m vita owners are into indie and niche japanese games?

Nothing against you. Just this attitude of everything considered bad called shit/garbage/crap and everything good best game ever, game of the generation, most amazing story/graphics etc. There's something in between called average. The vita has an average library at the moment (sure in my opinion it's the best thing ever, but I realize that most people don't feel like that). It's not bad, but neither good enough for more people to buy one.

I'm not saying it wouldn't appeal to more people if it had more AAA mainstream games but it doesn't. The boost it got from COD and AC was minimal at best because unfortunately those were among the worst games ever released for those series. It was supposed to get a Bioshock game but that looks like vaporware now. The biggest selling point of Vita now is as an accessory for PS4 and that is hard to sell people a $200 accessory just for remote play and a very limited library of games that also requires overpriced memory to get the most of.

Around the Network

OK let's rephrase... Vita has no games that would make the average person want to drop $250 on a handheld.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

dane007 said:
Heck you shout "Objection"! which gave you teh sense thatyou are lawyer even though you sound stupid saying lol.

Do you really do that? I play handheld games (on Sony and Nintendo handhelds) mainly, when I'm not at home and there are people in hearing distance... so I always push the objection-button.

I hate situations in handheld games, when the use of the microphone (shouting or breathing) or gyroscope is mandatory... I don't do that in public, so I have to stop the game and play something other. Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and DKR3D, but also Tearaway, Uncharted Golden Abyss and Little Deviants demanded such inputs to continue.

@Aerys LOL are serious wth your reply? This what eurogamer said about Wipeout 2048 "So for anyone left pining for a more traditional WipEout fix on the Vita, this is a perfect solution, with each and every event from the PlayStation 3's HD and Fury moving across to the handheld. The port is as immaculate as you could hope for, and it's faithful enough to make the Vita version of WipEout arguably the most comprehensive installment of the series to date. " LOl are you sure Wipeout is acomplete new experience that can't be found on consoles XD.

Haha lol i didn't know teh game fro uncharted on teh vita redefined the series in a way thats unique to the series hahah. Are you high on something. The only different mechanics you have for that is teh back touch for climbing ropes which is uncessary,, swip across to scale the dges ,, again which is pointless and teh swipe for fighting which is only necessary fro teh last nboss which was not very responsive. The rest of the time you got the exact same experiences of the console version of teh game but on a smaller screen. You solve puzzles, you got cornby dialogues, you got explosion, you got treasure hunting,, you got nice visuals,, you got same shooting mechanics and everythign that makes uncharted , uncharted. In fact it reminded me of Uncharted 1 as it had more puzzle solving then explosive set pieces. For me Mario kart is useless on teh 3ds unless 3D is teh thing you prefer as you can get better experiences on the Wii or Wii u. I never bought a mario kart on handhelds because of it. You may not be able to get LBP vita version but you can get an LBP game taht does exactly teh same thing with better graphics and cheaper. Why would the majority pay for a vita and a gmae liek LBP when they cna get a ps32 for alto chepaer and get that for more then half the price of teh vita game . Same for kz . What you do in KZ is exactly teh same then what you do on the vita. The only thing you can get its teh swipe for melee attack whic hagain is pointless. If i was the majority i woudl think of all of this when purchasing a vita if i was ona a tight budget. Thats what the majority are thinking when buying a vita ,, hence whythe poor sales. There are unique sellers liek gravity rush which is an awesome and free on ps plus but neither of them liek that and soul sacrifice sell machines. I never said it has no games at all, but it has no games taht appeal to masses who are looking for games taht provide a unique vita experiences

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

@Conina ---> Yea i did ,, esepcially when i found out ,, that there was such a option XD. It was great fun for a while. There were some games that utilised it. can't remember their names. I know,, i have played Uncharted on Ps vita. That was much first game i bought lol. Didn't like teh swipe for attack as it wasnt responsive enough. Again not saying vita has bad games but teh games that you get on coles and teh experience you get ,, especailly block buster experience are better on abig screen. Games liek layton or phoeniz wright are suitable for a handhel experiences. The majority would not want to play it on a big screen as it won't be that great. Don't take my word for it,, teh numbers DS sold in its lifetimes speaks volumes lol

@Conina---> Ps vita do have cool games liek teraway ,, but teh amount is samll and they are not system seller. Vita needs system seller which they don't have at the moment