By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It was a nice run 3DS, but PS4 launches in Japan in two days

The PS4 would already be ahead of the 3DS every week if VGC quits overtracking it.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
007BondAgent said:
Salnax said:
Both systems will have their times. The 3DS is receiving some notable games in 2014 (Kirby, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4U, etc.), and a price cut or redesign is more likely for the 3DS than for the PS4 at this point.

Where are the notable games? the 3DS 2014 lineup is mediocre at best, Plus the 3DS is on a rapid decline in every territory, in fact it's over 50% down YOY in japan.

And do you actually think those games will counter the PS4's momentum? hell. Destiny on PS4 alone will outsell kirby, smash bros and monster hunter4U

Counter it? No. However, I do not think the PS4 will be at its best all throughout 2014. Based on its current known lineup, the PS4 will likely do its best in 2014 around late February (Japanese launch), late March (Infamous: Second Son), late May (Wolfenstein and likely DriveClub and Watch Dogs), and the last four months of the year (Destiny, The Crew, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Order: 1886, Call of Duty 11, and the Holidays in general).

This is far from a bad lineup for the PS4. However, it does not necessarily have a counter to every major 3DS release/combination. For example, Yoshi's New Island releases the week before Infamous: Second Son throughout the West, a fair amount of time after the Japanese launch. In early May, you have Mario Golf and Kirby Triple Deluxe being released in the West, a time period with relatively few major PS4 games. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate might be enough to counter the PS4 worldwide in just Japan mid-September, depending on bundling. And Super Smash Bros 4 is going to be big, even with the Wii U version.

And of course, we have one more factor: future announcements. Handheld games in general and Nintendo games in particular are announced fairly late in development compared to Sony/Microsoft console games. Hence, games announced up through E3 can benefit the 3DS in 2014, whereas any PS4 announcements would be unlikely to make a splash before 2015.

Furthermore, the 3DS is a children-friednly, cheaper, and Nintendo-made system. Those three factors make systems sell better during the holidays, especially after Black Friday.

Overall, I expect the PS4 to outsell the 3DS more weeks than not in 2014. However, I do not expect it to be completely one-sided. The 3DS has enough major games at the right times and potential announcements to help it out. 

Love and tolerate.

justiceiro said:
zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:
This needs to be said: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games!? People complain about a Wii U drought, but I'm seeing a 3DS one, too.

Feb-Bravely Default, Professor Layton

Mar-Yoshi's New Island

Apr-Disney Magical Castle

May-Mario Golf, Kirby

Thats not a drought, 6 exclusives in a span of 4 months. None of them are huge hardware pushers but thats a different thing entirely.

Hes talking about japan. What we have from yoshi till ssb on japan? Mario golf?

Where does he say anything about Japan?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Salnax said:
JoeTheBro said:

Prediction lol. PS4 will beat 3DS ww every month in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

Want to make that a bet?

I'll make a bet for just 2014. The usual one month of sig control to the winner?

Going off these numbers with ample time for adjustments if needed of course: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Monthly

kitler53 said:
Busted said:
I'm gonna bookmark this and come back here to post every time the 3DS ends at the top of the global charts, it doesn't matter if is next month or in 4 years, i'll do it. Every single time.

and i'm not going to commit myself to anything but i did bookmark this post and if i happen to think about it on a week that 3DS wins and you didn't bump this thread i'll possibly bump this to make fun of you.

007BondAgent said:
Busted said:
I'm gonna bookmark this and come back here to post every time the 3DS ends at the top of the global charts, it doesn't matter if is next month or in 4 years, i'll do it. Every single time.

Little did he know,... This was his last post on this thread.

:(

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Salnax said:
JoeTheBro said:

Prediction lol. PS4 will beat 3DS ww every month in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

Want to make that a bet?

I'll make a bet for just 2014. The usual one month of sig control to the winner?

Going off these numbers with ample time for adjustments if needed of course: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Monthly

Sounds like fun. 

Are we including January and February, or are we starting with March, in order to account for the PS4's Japanese launch in a few days? I'm fine either way.

Love and tolerate.

zorg1000 said:
justiceiro said:
zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:
This needs to be said: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games!? People complain about a Wii U drought, but I'm seeing a 3DS one, too.

Feb-Bravely Default, Professor Layton

Mar-Yoshi's New Island

Apr-Disney Magical Castle

May-Mario Golf, Kirby

Thats not a drought, 6 exclusives in a span of 4 months. None of them are huge hardware pushers but thats a different thing entirely.

Hes talking about japan. What we have from yoshi till ssb on japan? Mario golf?

Where does he say anything about Japan?

Its hard to think other wise, since op is talking about the ps4 launch in japan. In fact, everyone here seems to be talking about ps4 and 3DS performace in japan. But if you need it, here it is: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games to japan?(better?)

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

tbone51 said:
spemanig said:
tbone51 said:
spemanig said:

there is no drought, i think 2013 has messed up your judgement due to its deliver of games

No. It raised my expectations, and what we're getting falls below even my previous expectations. The most exciting game we know we're getting this year is Professor Layton. That's a problem.

this is wat i mean, 3ds 2013 was an amazing year(meaning for 1 hardware library) so now fans expect every year like it. This Year is looking like a 2012 so far. Not better, not worse. The thing is we only have the first half of the year announcments, we dont kno the second half with the exception of ssb.

This year us no where near how great 2012 was.

vivster said:

Even though I did joke about it I still think it is something special for a console to outsell a (successful) handheld but not the other way around. It is rather expected for handhelds to usually outsell the much more expensive and less versatile home consoles.

No it's not. PS2, Wii, PS1, and PS3/360 all outsold either the PSP, DS, or GBA. Or even a combination. 

OT: I wonder how long it'll last. Or even if Nintendo will try to offset this so they can take back their crown in Japan. Afterall, that's where the 3DS has been doing the best. (Although NA and Europe seem to be getting on par.)

NintendoSupporter<3 said:
tbone51 said:
spemanig said:
tbone51 said:
spemanig said:

there is no drought, i think 2013 has messed up your judgement due to its deliver of games

No. It raised my expectations, and what we're getting falls below even my previous expectations. The most exciting game we know we're getting this year is Professor Layton. That's a problem.

this is wat i mean, 3ds 2013 was an amazing year(meaning for 1 hardware library) so now fans expect every year like it. This Year is looking like a 2012 so far. Not better, not worse. The thing is we only have the first half of the year announcments, we dont kno the second half with the exception of ssb.

This year us no where near how great 2012 was.

Feb 2012 we didn't kno we would have NSMB2 (which came in July/August). Its too early to tell. I should make a thread about 2011-2015 library comparisons :)