By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It was a nice run 3DS, but PS4 launches in Japan in two days

Busted said:
I'm gonna bookmark this and come back here to post every time the 3DS ends at the top of the global charts, it doesn't matter if is next month or in 4 years, i'll do it. Every single time.

and i'm not going to commit myself to anything but i did bookmark this post and if i happen to think about it on a week that 3DS wins and you didn't bump this thread i'll possibly bump this to make fun of you.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Busted said:
I'm gonna bookmark this and come back here to post every time the 3DS ends at the top of the global charts, it doesn't matter if is next month or in 4 years, i'll do it. Every single time.

and i'm not going to commit myself to anything but i did bookmark this post and if i happen to think about it on a week that 3DS wins and you didn't bump this thread i'll possibly bump this to make fun of you.

Bwahaha! This just may be the best comeback ever! Well done, Kitler.

(badgenome, you've been dethroned)

Busted said:

You won't be around much then.

zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:
This needs to be said: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games!? People complain about a Wii U drought, but I'm seeing a 3DS one, too.

Feb-Bravely Default, Professor Layton

Mar-Yoshi's New Island

Apr-Disney Magical Castle

May-Mario Golf, Kirby

Thats not a drought, 6 exclusives in a span of 4 months. None of them are huge hardware pushers but thats a different thing entirely.

Hes talking about japan. What we have from yoshi till ssb on japan? Mario golf?

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

I am a PlayStation fan but there are no chances that the PS Vita can beat the 3DS. Especially if Sony keeps missing titles like Bravely Default.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
i think people are over estimating just how much the ps4 will sell in japan.

Agreed, It will sell well, but by the looks of it a lot of people are overestimating.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

PS4 has already been been winning worldwide so it's safe to assume it will win almost every week.

Ahhhh, I misread the thread title.... Yes, yes the ps4 will sit atop the global sales. I was thinking Japan only. Japan will put the ps4 over the top, week in week out. ALTHOUGH, I wouldn't be surprised if it is still closer than everyone, including myself, thinks.

tbone51 said:
spemanig said:
tbone51 said:
spemanig said:
This needs to be said: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games!? People complain about a Wii U drought, but I'm seeing a 3DS one, too.

there is no drought, i think 2013 has messed up your judgement due to its deliver of games

No. It raised my expectations, and what we're getting falls below even my previous expectations. The most exciting game we know we're getting this year is Professor Layton. That's a problem.

this is wat i mean, 3ds 2013 was an amazing year(meaning for 1 hardware library) so now fans expect every year like it. This Year is looking like a 2012 so far. Not better, not worse. The thing is we only have the first half of the year announcments, we dont kno the second half with the exception of ssb.

2012 was way better. 2012 had Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario Kart 7, Star Fox 64, Resident Evil: Revelations, Street Fighter IV 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Super Mario Bros. 2. This year has nothing on that. I'd give my left nut for another year like 2012. This year is shit for the 3DS so far, and people need to start seeing that. It's worse than 2013 AND worse than 2012. At least we're getting Yoshi's Island and Kirby. 

nitekrawler1285 said:
pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Where is the software that makes everyone assume the PS4 is going to dominate in Japan?

The way I see PS4 has all the same problems PS3 had in Japan. Development costs are high which means more time and money per title but less overall titles. Western games will come regularly but I have yet to see one eclipse a million in the Japan.

It took any publisher in Japan that can sell over a million copies of a game about 3-5 years to create that game on PS3. Capcom is already delaying titles to take advantage of the power which means more costs. So I don't think that's really gonna change despite how 'easy' PS4 might be to program for.

Just as PSP saved devs from expensive dev costs during the PS3 lifetime we already see a similar exodus to Sony's newer portable Vita at least among the smaller developers. Mobile is the big winner for the larger publishers.

So where does PS4 domination come in?

Where is the software?  Go look at what the PS3 has in Japan.  It's library is absolutely stuffed with low-cost titles.  The same thing will happen with the PS4.  Beyond that, many major-third party games will virtually be PS4 exclusives in Japan.

Development costs shouldn't be higher in the long run for games in the lower register.  "More power" does not directly equate to elevated expenses, not once you get past high definition assets, which was also a factor last gen.  There will be increases, yes, but there will also be decreases thanks to the PS4's easy to use architecture.  That will reduce development time which does directly equate to money.

I don't think the PS4 is going to take Japan by storm but I also don't think it's going to do as poorly as some people suggest.

As far as head to head with the 3DS, it should win most weeks, though there will be big weeks for the 3DS that push it into first.  Not really a big deal.

PS3 is by FAR the worst selling Playstation home console in the region.  So if PS4 wants to be successful I don't know if that is the library they should seek to emulate.  

More power sadly does equate to elevated expenses without fail every generation of games. This is why Nintendo made the Wii and why it wasn't as powerful as PS360.  Even with it's massive success the overall cost of games still skyrocketed. We already see developers like Capcom delaying titles to make use of the power and differentiate their products from PS3 ones so I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue.  

PS3 is at 9.84 million in japan.  Every other Playstation Console except Vita is at 19 million and above.  PS3 was a failure in that region.  I don't see anything that's changed from PS4 to mitigate it that I can see.    

3DS by contrast is already over 15 million with far less time on the market in that region. I don't ever expect PS4 to get that far.  

I completely agree with everything you said, but the ps4 should sell just enough there to put it on top in world wide sales. But I too do not beleive the ps4 will alter console sales in Japan, they're just not that interested in them anymore.