By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It was a nice run 3DS, but PS4 launches in Japan in two days

morenoingrato said:
vivster said:
So Nintendo fans will finally stop comparing handheld sales to console sales? Good.
Finally the Sony fans can start comparing console sales to handheld sales.

You are correct.

Suddenly, handheld sales will be in the headlines of every thread after the PS4 launch.

Even though I did joke about it I still think it is something special for a console to outsell a (successful) handheld but not the other way around. It is rather expected for handhelds to usually outsell the much more expensive and less versatile home consoles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
BeElite said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Where is the software that makes everyone assume the PS4 is going to dominate in Japan?

The way I see PS4 has all the same problems PS3 had in Japan. Development costs are high which means more time and money per title but less overall titles. Western games will come regularly but I have yet to see one eclipse a million in the Japan.

It took any publisher in Japan that can sell over a million copies of a game about 3-5 years to create that game on PS3. Capcom is already delaying titles to take advantage of the power which means more costs. So I don't think that's really gonna change despite how 'easy' PS4 might be to program for.

Just as PSP saved devs from expensive dev costs during the PS3 lifetime we already see a similar exodus to Sony's newer portable Vita at least among the smaller developers. Mobile is the big winner for the larger publishers.

So where does PS4 domination come in?

Wheres the software to explain PS4 dominationg the world ?

Dk wiius latest software floped hard, so till kart wiiu has noting to sale of.  PS4 is not facing a console with titles droping each month, it will sale unopposed. 

It comes in day one, by giving the people a product they actually want at a great price with out being forced to over pay due to useless gimmick add on.

CoD, BF4, AC, KZ.  The biggest games from the west are there sans GTA which rumors suggest might be joining soon.  

Just cause you opponents fucked up doesn't mean they haven't either. Since I haven't heard of any big Japanese titles coming I assume Sony fucked up too.   

Cheap and no gimmicks isn't enough.  Gamecube didn't come in and do gangbusters despite being dirt cheap and lacking gimmicks. 

nitekrawler1285 said:
Where is the software that makes everyone assume the PS4 is going to dominate in Japan?

The way I see PS4 has all the same problems PS3 had in Japan. Development costs are high which means more time and money per title but less overall titles. Western games will come regularly but I have yet to see one eclipse a million in the Japan.

It took any publisher in Japan that can sell over a million copies of a game about 3-5 years to create that game on PS3. Capcom is already delaying titles to take advantage of the power which means more costs. So I don't think that's really gonna change despite how 'easy' PS4 might be to program for.

Just as PSP saved devs from expensive dev costs during the PS3 lifetime we already see a similar exodus to Sony's newer portable Vita at least among the smaller developers. Mobile is the big winner for the larger publishers.

Where is the software?  Go look at what the PS3 has in Japan.  It's library is absolutely stuffed with low-cost titles.  The same thing will happen with the PS4.  Beyond that, many major-third party games will virtually be PS4 exclusives in Japan.

Development costs shouldn't be higher in the long run for games in the lower register.  "More power" does not directly equate to elevated expenses, not once you get past high definition assets, which was also a factor last gen.  There will be increases, yes, but there will also be decreases thanks to the PS4's easy to use architecture.  That will reduce development time which does directly equate to money.

I don't think the PS4 is going to take Japan by storm but I also don't think it's going to do as poorly as some people suggest.

As far as head to head with the 3DS, it should win most weeks, though there will be big weeks for the 3DS that push it into first.  Not really a big deal.

I predict an epic fight between the weakest and strongest 8th gen console.

ps Weakest in terms of hardware

nitekrawler1285 said:
BeElite said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Wheres the software to explain PS4 dominationg the world ?

Dk wiius latest software floped hard, so till kart wiiu has noting to sale of.  PS4 is not facing a console with titles droping each month, it will sale unopposed. 

It comes in day one, by giving the people a product they actually want at a great price with out being forced to over pay due to useless gimmick add on.

CoD, BF4, AC, KZ.  The biggest games from the west are there sans GTA which rumors suggest might be joining soon.  

Just cause you opponents fucked up doesn't mean they haven't either. Since I haven't heard of any big Japanese titles coming I assume Sony fucked up too.   

Cheap and no gimmicks isn't enough.  Gamecube didn't come in and do gangbusters despite being dirt cheap and lacking gimmicks. 

Pff please last gen ports and a launch title you call biggest, no GT no Ucharted no GOW no GTA no nothing all the best no where to be seen.

Japan is getting similar quality launch titles, the few JDm only games basically being the KZ AC for that market.

Comparing the GC to PS4 really does no work on any plain.  PS4 is selling great EVERYwhere. 

Around the Network

PS4 has been winning for the past 6 weeks probably. It 3DS's run on top already ended.

never again? lol. just wait 2ds release in japan and 3ds pricecut worldwide.

tbone51 said:
spemanig said:
This needs to be said: Where the hell are major the 2014 3DS games!? People complain about a Wii U drought, but I'm seeing a 3DS one, too.

there is no drought, i think 2013 has messed up your judgement due to its deliver of games

No. It raised my expectations, and what we're getting falls below even my previous expectations. The most exciting game we know we're getting this year is Professor Layton. That's a problem.

pokoko said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Where is the software?  Go look at what the PS3 has in Japan.  It's library is absolutely stuffed with low-cost titles.  The same thing will happen with the PS4.  Beyond that, many major-third party games will virtually be PS4 exclusives in Japan.

Development costs shouldn't be higher in the long run for games in the lower register.  "More power" does not directly equate to elevated expenses, not once you get past high definition assets, which was also a factor last gen.  There will be increases, yes, but there will also be decreases thanks to the PS4's easy to use architecture.  That will reduce development time which does directly equate to money.

I don't think the PS4 is going to take Japan by storm but I also don't think it's going to do as poorly as some people suggest.

As far as head to head with the 3DS, it should win most weeks, though there will be big weeks for the 3DS that push it into first.  Not really a big deal.

PS3 is by FAR the worst selling Playstation home console in the region.  So if PS4 wants to be successful I don't know if that is the library they should seek to emulate.  

More power sadly does equate to elevated expenses without fail every generation of games. This is why Nintendo made the Wii and why it wasn't as powerful as PS360.  Even with it's massive success the overall cost of games still skyrocketed. We already see developers like Capcom delaying titles to make use of the power and differentiate their products from PS3 ones so I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue.  

PS3 is at 9.84 million in japan.  Every other Playstation Console except Vita is at 19 million and above.  PS3 was a failure in that region.  I don't see anything that's changed from PS4 to mitigate it that I can see.    

3DS by contrast is already over 15 million with far less time on the market in that region. I don't ever expect PS4 to get that far.  

I'm gonna bookmark this and come back here to post every time the 3DS ends at the top of the global charts, it doesn't matter if is next month or in 4 years, i'll do it. Every single time.