By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It was a nice run 3DS, but PS4 launches in Japan in two days

but but but but... i love the PS4, crushing delusional peeps since day one.

Around the Network

Where is the software that makes everyone assume the PS4 is going to dominate in Japan?

The way I see PS4 has all the same problems PS3 had in Japan. Development costs are high which means more time and money per title but less overall titles. Western games will come regularly but I have yet to see one eclipse a million in the Japan.

It took any publisher in Japan that can sell over a million copies of a game about 3-5 years to create that game on PS3. Capcom is already delaying titles to take advantage of the power which means more costs. So I don't think that's really gonna change despite how 'easy' PS4 might be to program for.

Just as PSP saved devs from expensive dev costs during the PS3 lifetime we already see a similar exodus to Sony's newer portable Vita at least among the smaller developers. Mobile is the big winner for the larger publishers.

So where does PS4 domination come in?

What ammo do ninty fans have now? :(

vivster said:
So Nintendo fans will finally stop comparing handheld sales to console sales? Good.
Finally the Sony fans can start comparing console sales to handheld sales.

You are correct.

Suddenly, handheld sales will be in the headlines of every thread after the PS4 launch.

bananaking21 said:
i think people are over estimating just how much the ps4 will sell in japan.

Yup, quite simply. The ps4 will start solidly, taper off substantially, and plateau below average...ly. 

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
bananaking21 said:

Looking at the past few weeks, though, PS4 has needed anywhere from 1k / week to minus 30k / week to beat the 3DS.

I was going to write the exact same thing. The PS4 doesn't really need much to stay ahead. I figure it should be able to pull a 15k weekly minimum in Japan on the very negative side of the scale and 25k on the positive. Should be plenty to remain the leader.

That said; it won't sell a whole lot lifetime, just like anything else launching over there now.

bananaking21 said:

250 million.  per week.   max.

nitekrawler1285 said:
Where is the software that makes everyone assume the PS4 is going to dominate in Japan?

The way I see PS4 has all the same problems PS3 had in Japan. Development costs are high which means more time and money per title but less overall titles. Western games will come regularly but I have yet to see one eclipse a million in the Japan.

It took any publisher in Japan that can sell over a million copies of a game about 3-5 years to create that game on PS3. Capcom is already delaying titles to take advantage of the power which means more costs. So I don't think that's really gonna change despite how 'easy' PS4 might be to program for.

Just as PSP saved devs from expensive dev costs during the PS3 lifetime we already see a similar exodus to Sony's newer portable Vita at least among the smaller developers. Mobile is the big winner for the larger publishers.

So where does PS4 domination come in?

Wheres the software to explain PS4 dominationg the world ?

Dk wiius latest software floped hard, so till kart wiiu has noting to sale of.  PS4 is not facing a console with titles droping each month, it will sale unopposed. 

It comes in day one, by giving the people a product they actually want at a great price with out being forced to over pay due to useless gimmick add on.

The 3DS doesn't compete with PS4, and so it will still be number one. Both will be #1 in Japan with regards to their respective markets.

Yeah true. 2012 was the best for 3DS all because of the games.