By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Latest EDGE reviews in, Donkey Kong scores a 7

kidvizious said:
Brii said:
Scores mean very little now, since apparently a 7/10 is considered 'bad' and not worth anyone's time. I wish I could take scores at face value, where a 7 would mean well above average/good and a 4/10 means flawed but not irredeemably awful. 10/10s should frankly not exist, because there's always SOMETHING about a game that isn't perfect. It's just impossible. 8s and 9s shouldn't be handed out so liberally, and saved for great games and amazing ones.

I have DK preordered, and if it really IS a 7/10... I'd still feel very good about my purchase. But because the scoring system is so flawed, I don't even know what the numbers truly mean anymore. Part of it is our own fault as gamers, for foaming at the mouth any time someone dares to give game we've been anticipating or love a 6 or 7, both being ABOVE average. Guys, it's okay to love a game that's not wonderful, great, or even GOOD. I like plenty of games I would score a 4 or 5 overall, and no game I've ever played I would give a 10. Because perfection does not exist.

Actually a 10/10 doesn't mean it is perfect. A 10/10 could mean it is a Masterpiece which is different from Perfect unless the reviewer explicitly states this game is perfect which is impossible since opinions aren't facts.

Again, that sort of explaination shows the abiguity in the scoring system. 10/10 implies (to me) that there is nothing to be improved on, since there is nothing that exceeds that score (no, I don't believe anything like a 11/10 should exist). What's the point of having a limit if that limit doesn't imply flawlessness/perfection? At this point, I feel scores should just be done away with, and reviews should simply be articles that present the reviewers opinions and experience. These numbers mean nothing to me anymore. Maybe just end the review with a summary or a word like "Great", "Average", or "Good" or something.

Around the Network

Anyway, I´m more interested what Edge´s complaints are.

While a 7 is obviously not a bad score, from what I´ve seen Donkey Kong looks better than that.

We shall see.

...and oh my at Lord of Shadow 2´s 4 !

orniletter said:
hinch said:
*sigh* not looking gooking good for Castlevania. Might sit this out one.

Curious why DK only got a 7 from EDGE. They usually rate Nintendo games pretty high (9-10).

Their 10s are usually hard to come by.

The big Nintendo titles are mostly in the 8-9 category.

Zelda Skyward Sword got a 10 from Edge iirc

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
orniletter said:
hinch said:
*sigh* not looking gooking good for Castlevania. Might sit this out one.

Curious why DK only got a 7 from EDGE. They usually rate Nintendo games pretty high (9-10).

Their 10s are usually hard to come by.

The big Nintendo titles are mostly in the 8-9 category.

Zelda Skyward Sword got a 10 from Edge iirc

That might be correct, but they are pretty much known to be among the harsher critics in the medium

...like the opposite to Famitsu.

Aaaaargh a 7 from those wankers is an 8 or 9 from anyone else...fair enough dk may suck but I'll reserve my judgement til I hear more. In the past I've found a 7 from edge usually means a good game that doesn't innovate, which I can live with. I don't stay up at night fantasizing over what score games will get on metacritic.

I'm more concerned about castlevania...but I'm not surprised seeing as Kojima Studios weren't lending a hand this time round. Bummer I was looking forward to it, but like I said not a surprise. Funny I put off getting a ps4 cos I thought there was still life in last gens consoles and LORD OF SHADOWS 2 was (I foolishly believed) one of the reasons why. Don't I look like the a-hole now?

Around the Network
Ocilayton said:
AnthonyW86 said:
RealGamingExpert said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Ocilayton said:
They gave Jazzpunk a 9 and DK a 7...I guess now we know what kind of reviewer we're dealing with here(the stupid hipster type)
Oh and GI gave TF a 9.25 i

No it means the reviewer rewards something original and new instead of same old same old. Also there a very large price difference between the two games.

How is DKCTF the same old stuff? They added a lot of new elements, 2 new Kongs (compared to DKCR) and a lot more.

How else do you wanna make a sequel?

I'm not saying i think it's the same old stuff. I was just responding to the fact apperently if a reviewer likes something new he/she is automatically a ''hipster''. They clearly gave Jazzpunk a high score because it is original and alot of fun for the money. I don't know what the complains about DKCTF were but it's not a really new concept and a full priced game.

But Jazzpunk is stupid and the main point of it( the humor) is unfunny. Just because something is novel doesn't make it good.

No you think it's stupid, and again it's a $10 game. And Rayman Legends got a 9 by Edge, so clearly DKCTF was underwelming to the reviewer.

Seriously edge gave DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS a 7 as well and that's one of my favourite 2d plat formers of recent years (just checked it on metacritic...interestingly they said it was good but nothing new). At least the new iteration hasn't dropped in quality then.

mushroomboy5 said:
Seriously edge gave DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS a 7 as well and that's one of my favourite 2d plat formers of recent years (just checked it on metacritic...interestingly they said it was good but nothing new). At least the new iteration hasn't dropped in quality then.

Well that is reassuring.

DKCR is hands down one of the best platformers ever made.

I see we still don't understand that Edge doesn't use the below 9 = bad scale that's so popular these days. A 5 from them would be an average score, and a 7 isn't anywhere close to being bad...

dat indie boner...

but seriously, 7 isn't a bad score from EDGE...I have a bit of a problem giving when comparing that to the other scores but opinions are opinions. I personally think Nidhogg looks terribly boring and shallow but if they want to give it a 9, more power to 'em.