By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Latest EDGE reviews in, Donkey Kong scores a 7

Scores mean very little now, since apparently a 7/10 is considered 'bad' and not worth anyone's time. I wish I could take scores at face value, where a 7 would mean well above average/good and a 4/10 means flawed but not irredeemably awful. 10/10s should frankly not exist, because there's always SOMETHING about a game that isn't perfect. It's just impossible. 8s and 9s shouldn't be handed out so liberally, and saved for great games and amazing ones.

I have DK preordered, and if it really IS a 7/10... I'd still feel very good about my purchase. But because the scoring system is so flawed, I don't even know what the numbers truly mean anymore. Part of it is our own fault as gamers, for foaming at the mouth any time someone dares to give game we've been anticipating or love a 6 or 7, both being ABOVE average. Guys, it's okay to love a game that's not wonderful, great, or even GOOD. I like plenty of games I would score a 4 or 5 overall, and no game I've ever played I would give a 10. Because perfection does not exist.

Around the Network
Somini said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

It's the biggest game in there. It's like having reviews in for the Last of Us and your title mentions Flappy Bird!!

Flappy Bird is indeed bigger than TLOU...

That's like saying Angry Birds is bigger than Mario, completely false and highly biased.

Angry Birds is indeed bigger than Mario. The only difference between the two is that one has lasted for almost 30 years and the other will most likely die in a couple of years.

But at the moment there's no denying that both Angry Birds, Flappy Bird and Candy Crush are bigger than Mario.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Somini said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

It's the biggest game in there. It's like having reviews in for the Last of Us and your title mentions Flappy Bird!!

That's like saying Angry Birds is bigger than Mario, completely false and highly biased.

Angry Birds is indeed bigger than Mario. The only difference between the two is that one has lasted for almost 30 years and the other will most likely die in a couple of years.

But at the moment there's no denying that both Angry Birds, Flappy Bird and Candy Crush are bigger than Mario.

Bigger in terms of what? Mario probably makes more money than all these games combined. More people will also know Mario than those 3 games. 

If Nintendo released free IOS games they'd destroy Angry Birds. 

Samus Aran said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

Bigger in terms of what? Mario probably makes more money than all these games combined. More people will also know Mario than those 3 games. 

I agree with you, but i'm not sure if Mario makes more money than them. It's crazy how much money these mobile games are making!!

I just researched it, The candy crush saga makes close to 800K dollars per day in revenue :O

Remember people. If a game of your favourite console gets a 7, they're being hipsters, if it's for another console, they're clearly using the full score scale. So, in the second case, 7 is actually good, thus no reason to complain.

Around the Network
Somini said:
Samus Aran said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

I agree with you, but i'm not sure if Mario makes more money than them. It's crazy how much money these mobile games are making!!

I just researched it, The candy crush saga makes close to 800K dollars per day in revenue :O

Perhaps Nintendo should release free IOS games after all lol. Just put some ads in it for the real games on their consoles and handhelds. 

Samus Aran said:
Somini said:
Samus Aran said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

Perhaps Nintendo should release free IOS games after all lol. Just put some ads in it for the real games on their consoles and handhelds. 

Or just sell them for like 3$. I think Pokemon could easily make the biggest revenue out of all games in the appstore. Dont know if making your game free + adds is better though.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Samus Aran said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

The Candy Crush guys make ~700k a day. Before taking it down, the Flappy Bird guy made ~50k a day. Can't remember how much money the Angry Bird guys are making, but is a lot.

Angry Birds has been downloaded 1.7 billion times, and as of November 2013 Candy Crush has been downloaded 500 million times.

Both Angry Birds and Candy Crush have a lot of merchandise outside of their games, be it toys, board games, shirts, etc, etc

So Angry Birds and Candy Crush are bigger in both how much money they make and popularity.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Samus Aran said:
osed125 said:
Somini said:

The Candy Crush guys make ~700k a day. Before taking it down, the Flappy Bird guy made ~50k a day. Can't remember how much money the Angry Bird guys are making, but is a lot.

Angry Birds has been downloaded 1.7 billion times, and as of November 2013 Candy Crush has been downloaded 500 million times.

Both Angry Birds and Candy Crush have a lot of merchandise outside of their games, be it toys, board games, shirts, etc, etc

So Angry Birds and Candy Crush are bigger in both how much money they make and popularity.

People really buy Angry birds toys, shirts, etc? 

That's kinda sad lol. But anyway, I still think Mario is better known and unlike the games you mentioned, he'll still be around for years to come. 

crissindahouse said:
Ocilayton said:
They gave Jazzpunk a 9 and DK a 7...I guess now we know what kind of reviewer we're dealing with here(the stupid hipster type)
Oh and GI gave TF a 9.25 i

or maybe you review games different in different price segments? it's not as if jazzpunk would get the same score as 60 dollar game or dk the same score as downloadable indie game for 15 bucks.

has nothing to do with hipster. i'm far from a hipster but you would probably say the same about me when i would review some indie games i like. 

The Witcher pic in your sig is amazing.