By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft explains why it delayed Watch Dogs on Wii U

WiiU Version delayed ...

July 67 14.32%

August 29 6.20%

September 44 9.40%

October 17 3.63%

November 24 5.13%

December 6 1.28%

2015 21 4.49%

2016 10 2.14%

2090 249 53.21%

Total:467
superchunk said:
Soundwave said:
I don't see how this game was going to do well on the Wii U when established franchises like Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Call of Duty sell like crap on the system.

This thread will probably get more page views than actual Wii U owners who'd be willing to put down $59.99 for this game even if it launched day and date with the other versions.

Rayman sold better on Wii U... just sayin' and the other games sold as expected based on their market and console userbase.

No one is saying it will sell the same as other platforms, but it will be profitable.

All Ubi did was redirect resources so they coudl spend less time on the other platforms fixing the primary issues. Once that is done a small team can implement the then known changes to WiiU code quicker and overall a lot less costly. Thus allowing other consoles to be the bread and butter, while WiiU remains profitable.

Who says the Wii U version must be profitable? Ubi Soft was pretty blunt about Zombi U not doing it for them. 

Assassin's Creed had like 1% (lol) of its sales on the Wii U platform. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

funny..seeing it was you I had the same reaction :) 

We have seen the numbers...Ubi isn't a charity. I agree with their sentiment. WD is potentially a major franchise for them going forward and they are prioratizing the quality of the versions that will sell well. And they are right. 

The numbers suggest they've at least been turning a profit on their Wii U based activities, barring clear bombs like Rabbids Land that were set out to die. They might not be making much, but the money is definitely there when the environment is so easy to port to. "They are right" is basically trolling, though i'm going to let someone else pick through the mess that's already starting to brew here.

That aside, it still makes little sense. The Wii U version was supposedly assigned to Ubisoft Bucharest, I think they were doing the PS3/360 version as well, unless there's some major crisis going on with the development of the 4-One (and maybe PC?) versions, i really fail to see why the Wii U version needs to get pushed back, unless said crisis is forcing them to divert personnel from Bucharest to whichever studio is sorting the higher-end version.

Something is off, and it's a shame that the usual suspects just want to run through and propagate their Wii U FUD.

Listen Khan we have been through this before. I don't care what your own unique definition of 'trolling' is nor do I care for when you play your mod card to downplay negative comments regarding Nintendo. So don't bother. It's not trolling its an opinion. An opinion based on reality and not wishful thinking.

What numbers suggest they are turning a profit? Are they breaking even? What about time value? Fact of the matter is wiiu and most of the third party games on it has been selling like shit. We knew this situation was coming last year when we had insiders telling that the publishers are keeping a close eye on multiplats to make key choices regarding wiiu projects. What we have now is the results of that. I wish I could find gaf's aquamrine's post on the breakdown of multiplats on the wiiu becausei t showed how abysmal the sales are. 

WD is going to be on 4-5 platforms outside of the wiiu. They are thinking upping the quality of the game on those platforms will lead to more sales than what little they can get from the wiiu at launch. Hell don't be surprised if they pull the game altogether because they want to spend those resources on something else.

And no it still makes sense. You are making a lot of assumptions about the development of the wiiu version. What makes you think it had the same priority as the ps360 version? They are not delaying the ps360 version you know..they are just allocating the resources to those versions, the ones that will actually sell well and is vital for the continuity of the franchise

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

osed125 said:

I feel that Ubisoft doesn't have confidence in the game overall. Multiple delays are generally a bad thing.

I'm starting to feel the same way... The game looked so promising, so hopefully the delays were just for polishing it up, and the game turns out to be great. As for the wiiu version, I think it's gone. Sounds to me like they stopped working on the wiiu version, so that to me sounds like it's cancelled. I don't know why third parties seem to beat around the bush about wiiu games. They seem afraid to say straight out that they have no faith in the system. I can't blame them, but it would be nice to not feel like these companies aren't just trying to blow smoke up our asses about the wiiu...

Blood_Tears said:

They had plenty of options to buy games day in date with other platforms before and look how that turned out. I have no sympathy for Wii U supporters upset by this news.

Some Wii U supporters like myself purchased every last game that Ubisoft has put out on WIi U day one. 

pezus said:
Oh damn. Now we'll never know how a WiiU version of a multiplat can sell in comparison to the other versions with all things equal :(

Project CARS next then ?

Around the Network

Ubisoft, at the start of 2013:
"Hey guys you know about Rayman Legends, right? Yeah we finished that game but we want to port it to other systems and, well, we gotta be honest, we want to release the game simultaneously for all systems so you gotta wait some more. That's cool, right?"

Ubisoft, one year later:
"Hey guys, there's this game called Watch Dogs, you know the one we delayed some months ago and, well, we have to delay the Wii U version to get the other versions out in time for our delayed release and we would really like to release the other versions earlier since, you know, that's how we do it at Ubisoft. You cool with that?"

They are completely eliminating any chances of this game selling decently on the Wii U. Might as well cancel it now tbh.

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

Soundwave said:

Who says the Wii U version must be profitable? Ubi Soft was pretty blunt about Zombi U not doing it for them. 

Assassin's Creed had like 1% (lol) of its sales on the Wii U platform. 

zombiu was an exclusive game... it had to make 100% of money from wiiu and wiiu sold, as a console, very poorly. All they ever said was it sold well considering userbase. Had wiiu launched with PS4 style numbers, it would have been fine. However, who knows if it was profitable as it was also a bundled title.. so maybe Nintendo provided a kickback to help it out.

% is pointless. You can only consider the actual cost to port and what that port brought in. AC and WD are both ports. The primary game is created on another platform and the overall profit is gained from those MSony platforms. However, they would consider the costs per WiiU distinctly and even put that against potential benefit if same team was working something else plus their overall relationship with Nintendo given games like Just Dance do FAR better on Nintendo consoles.

I get the feeling honestly Ubi Soft really doesn't want to make a Wii U version, but since they already commited to it, they don't want to look bad to Nintendo because they sell a good number of Just Dance games on the platform (at least the original Wii anyway).

I don't think they really give two craps about getting an extra 30,000 in sales from a Wii U version though. That's the last thing on their mind. 

Traduction: ''We clearly don't care enough for the WiiU version to waiste dev power on it while they could help the other versions move forward''.

Also, you poll is lacking a option, the ''never'' option, which got my vote.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Basically, first step to cancel it.
Too bad Ubi doesn't have the balls to just announce they canned it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile