By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft explains why it delayed Watch Dogs on Wii U

WiiU Version delayed ...

July 67 14.32%

August 29 6.20%

September 44 9.40%

October 17 3.63%

November 24 5.13%

December 6 1.28%

2015 21 4.49%

2016 10 2.14%

2090 249 53.21%

Total:467

Reminds me of psp, wii, ps2 versions of games. Often they would come out after the major releases and were poor compared to the versions on major formats. This looks much the same. If the Developer struggled to get good performance out of the wii u for assassins creed 3 and 4 its very unlikely Watchdogs is going to perform well on wii u. The reality is it will be a very weak version.

Surely the time has passed where people can keep pretending the wii u is powerful. Clearly its struggling against ps3 and 360 in performance terms. I keep reading how wii u is difficult to develop for when there is absolutely no evidence of that at all, in fact the reverse seems to be true. What we are seeing for major games is pretty much the same level of performance on wii u.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

The numbers suggest they've at least been turning a profit on their Wii U based activities, barring clear bombs like Rabbids Land that were set out to die. They might not be making much, but the money is definitely there when the environment is so easy to port to. "They are right" is basically trolling, though i'm going to let someone else pick through the mess that's already starting to brew here.

I'm sure you understand how weak this argument is.  "At least they're turning a profit" would be fine for a small developer like Compile Heart or Shin'en, but do you really think for a multi-billion dollar corporation like Ubisoft just turning a profit is sufficient?

If there were signs things were getting better that would be more promising too, but the AC3 -> AC4 sales show that WiiU buyer's interest in third party games remains relatively stagnant.

Maybe you're right and they need those developers to work on other versions of the game; certainly fits the bill as this title has been having a nightmare time in development.  But equally, maybe they decided that those resources were just better put elsewhere for the time being.

So be it. Maybe it was a shitty port but then they realized I was excited about it and decided to improve it because they like me.....or cancel it because they hate me.

One thing bothers me about some reactions to the news of the wiiu version.... Why do some users enjoy bad news about the wiiu? It's irritating that some find pleasure in a struggling system. They mention game sales and percentages, followed by lo, haha, or some other juvenile reaction. I find posts like this very annoying. Stop it already.

I can't blame Ubisoft for this one. They gave Wii U a fair chance (unlike EA). I blame Nintendo, because it's responsible to create a healthy install base for developers.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Soundwave said:
I don't see how this game was going to do well on the Wii U when established franchises like Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Call of Duty sell like crap on the system.

This thread will probably get more page views than actual Wii U owners who'd be willing to put down $59.99 for this game even if it launched day and date with the other versions.

Rayman sold better on Wii U... just sayin' and the other games sold as expected based on their market and console userbase.

No one is saying it will sell the same as other platforms, but it will be profitable.

All Ubi did was redirect resources so they coudl spend less time on the other platforms fixing the primary issues. Once that is done a small team can implement the then known changes to WiiU code quicker and overall a lot less costly. Thus allowing other consoles to be the bread and butter, while WiiU remains profitable.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rayman+legends&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Would disagree with you, though it is the closest a Wii u has got to being the best seller, that doesn't avoid the fact that by making it multi plat they tripled its sales. Do you think it could have sold 0.9 million if it has stayed exclusive to the Wii u, despite zombieu doing only 600k which wasn't profitable for ubi?

Kresnik said:
Mr Khan said:

The numbers suggest they've at least been turning a profit on their Wii U based activities, barring clear bombs like Rabbids Land that were set out to die. They might not be making much, but the money is definitely there when the environment is so easy to port to. "They are right" is basically trolling, though i'm going to let someone else pick through the mess that's already starting to brew here.

I'm sure you understand how weak this argument is.  "At least they're turning a profit" would be fine for a small developer like Compile Heart or Shin'en, but do you really think for a multi-billion dollar corporation like Ubisoft just turning a profit is sufficient?

If there were signs things were getting better that would be more promising too, but the AC3 -> AC4 sales show that WiiU buyer's interest in third party games remains relatively stagnant.

Maybe you're right and they need those developers to work on other versions of the game; certainly fits the bill as this title has been having a nightmare time in development.  But equally, maybe they decided that those resources were just better put elsewhere for the time being.

Yeah "turning" a profit (especially when the profit is likely basically negligable to your financial reporting) doesn't cut it. 

It's about dev resources ... improving a version of a game that has access to a 80 million userbase like the PS3 version and having that version consequently sell better is simply better resource managment than keeping some devs working on a Wii U version that's barely going to make any money if at all. 

d21lewis said:
So be it. Maybe it was a shitty port but then they realized I was excited about it and decided to improve it because they like me.....or cancel it because they hate me.

Maybe it's a bad game and they spared you because they LOVE you! 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Do Wii U gamers want this game cancelled now?? Let's be honest here. Even if there was no delay, it's not like it was going to change the sales situation. Be glad the game is still coming for those who wanted it.

I suppose this just means: "don't hold your breath".
It probably won't get released at all on WiiU.