By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft explains why it delayed Watch Dogs on Wii U

WiiU Version delayed ...

July 67 14.32%

August 29 6.20%

September 44 9.40%

October 17 3.63%

November 24 5.13%

December 6 1.28%

2015 21 4.49%

2016 10 2.14%

2090 249 53.21%

Total:467

Ok if Ubisoft is expecting this to sell then they're fucking delusional. Not only is it for a console that isn't selling but it's also coming after the others!? They might as well just cancel it.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Ok if Ubisoft is expecting this to sell then they're fucking delusional. Not only is it for a console that isn't selling but it's also coming after the others!? They might as well just cancel it.

looking at the preorders, they never expected it to sell. Hence the delay

Fusioncode said:
Cheebee said:
This will get cancelled. Bet on it.

Either that or Ubisoft will send it out to die with a $60 price tag launching 3 months after every other version. 

I'm betting on the latter. This *was* their chance to cancel it, but if they have utterly lost faith in the product they can at least recoup some money by putting it out there rather than cancel it outright, like EA did with a lot of games they had going before they decided that they didn't want to touch Nintendo platforms at all anymore.

The only way this is getting cancelled at this point is if we're going into a "Colonial Marines" scenario, where the game itself just sucks and isn't worth releasing on any platform, which i have a suspicion might be the case given the weirdness that's surrounded this game since it was first delayed last year.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

I get the feeling honestly Ubi Soft really doesn't want to make a Wii U version, but since they already commited to it, they don't want to look bad to Nintendo because they sell a good number of Just Dance games on the platform (at least the original Wii anyway).

I don't think they really give two craps about getting an extra 30,000 in sales from a Wii U version though. That's the last thing on their mind. 

I love when people do zero research.

Wii U userbase is currently about 5.5m.

Here are the 10 games Ubisoft has released.

ZombiU has sold to over 10% of the userbase. That is excellent.

The next four titles have sold to about 5%... also very good.

The rest are from games taht overall are not very big sellers anywhere beyond AC4:BF... but that lost sales on all consoles compared to its previous iteration. (12m to 7m) Largely because most consider it a declining title... its dying off.

WD had a lot of hype. Should sell well across all consoles and will likely be in the ZombiU range of 8-10% sell through on WiiU. Definitely well above the 30k that you think games sell at for some reason.... even if the lowest two Ubi games actually sold more than that so far.

You also have to consider that, given Assassin's Creed III only cost €1m to port, Assassin's Creed IV should have also made a profit.

It's always precious when Nintendo loyal fans blame everything on third parties, while most would anyway buy Nintendo SW. It's more babbling and rambling out of spite.

In any generation on Nintendo consoles 1st parties have destroyed 3rd parties in sales, you can put that as a strenght of Ninty IPs, a loyal userbase, shitty or lazy devs or what you like... But I fail to see why 3rd parties would be on a scheme to undermine Nintendo since PS1 era. No company put work to sell less, and companies/people is kind of lazy, they will try the easier way. So if with the same effort they will sell a lot better on PS360/Ps4One than on Wii/WiiU why would they go a extra mile to sell better on a platform that have a historic of selling bad on 3rd parties? While people like to say Sony use 3rd parties as clutches and sell less than them. That is basically the reason why Sony have so much 3rd party support even without moneyhat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
snyps said:
Spintercell Wii U rises from the bargain bib to exact revenge on Nintendo fans. We got what wedeserved on this one.

But that game was a steaming pile of garbage, which didn't happen to sell particularly well on ANY console, causing Ubi to question the future of trying to shit out another entry every year or two. So Wii U's gimped version, selling less than the other already not that great versions? Not surprising at all.

Notice how, while not amazing sales, ACIII, ACIV, CoD: BLOP2, CoD: Ghosts, Batman, etc. all managed to sell somewhere over the 100k mark. Again, not GREAT numbers by any stretch, but people DID go out and buy them, even with typical gimping action for these Nintendo ports. And those sales are certainly enough for Ubisoft, Warner Bros. and Activision to make at least a modest profit off of those ports. Not enough, perhaps, for them to be inspired to ramp up their Wii U support. But certainly decent enough to make them want to put out the next Batman, CoD, AC, etc.

Regardless, there is no real justification for this, except to imagine that the development of every version of this game is likely in trouble, hence the overall delays, and now they're just bumping the Wii U version back as an excuse to get that development team to help them get the OTHER versions out. This game's concept has a lot of potential, but if Ubi's ambition turns out to be bigger than their ability, and the game winds up crashing hard, it will be poetically ironic. Assuming that it DOESN'T crash/fail, the Wii U version will still come out. Just at a time in the year when it will be guaranteed to sell less. That March/April window in between DKCR2 and MK8 was probably the best window of opportunity Ubi had to maximize the Wii U versions' sales. And much like Rayman, they are once again fucking up.

DevilRising said:
snyps said:
Spintercell Wii U rises from the bargain bib to exact revenge on Nintendo fans. We got what wedeserved on this one.

But that game was a steaming pile of garbage, which didn't happen to sell particularly well on ANY console, causing Ubi to question the future of trying to shit out another entry every year or two. So Wii U's gimped version, selling less than the other already not that great versions? Not surprising at all.

Notice how, while not amazing sales, ACIII, ACIV, CoD: BLOP2, CoD: Ghosts, Batman, etc. all managed to sell somewhere over the 100k mark. Again, not GREAT numbers by any stretch, but people DID go out and buy them, even with typical gimping action for these Nintendo ports. And those sales are certainly enough for Ubisoft, Warner Bros. and Activision to make at least a modest profit off of those ports. Not enough, perhaps, for them to be inspired to ramp up their Wii U support. But certainly decent enough to make them want to put out the next Batman, CoD, AC, etc.

Regardless, there is no real justification for this, except to imagine that the development of every version of this game is likely in trouble, hence the overall delays, and now they're just bumping the Wii U version back as an excuse to get that development team to help them get the OTHER versions out. This game's concept has a lot of potential, but if Ubi's ambition turns out to be bigger than their ability, and the game winds up crashing hard, it will be poetically ironic. Assuming that it DOESN'T crash/fail, the Wii U version will still come out. Just at a time in the year when it will be guaranteed to sell less. That March/April window in between DKCR2 and MK8 was probably the best window of opportunity Ubi had to maximize the Wii U versions' sales. And much like Rayman, they are once again fucking up.

i think if you'd played blacklist you'd have mentioned it in your post intead of using garbage as an adjetive. I suppose you are blissfully unaware of it's awesomeness from the systems best graphics to the amount of invested brilliance. Blacklist (WiiU) is a must own for any free thinker.

snyps said:
DevilRising said:
snyps said:

i think if you'd played blacklist you'd have mentioned it in your post intead of using garbage as an adjetive. I suppose you are blissfully unaware of it's awesomeness from the systems best graphics to the amount of invested brilliance. Blacklist (WiiU) is a must own for any free thinker.

This... Blacklist Wii U was a pretty good game IMO

snyps said:
DevilRising said:
snyps said:

I loved blacklist. It's too bD the game didn't do better on all systems, it deserves to. My favorite wiiu 3rd party game, and just a great game, regardless of platform.