By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft explains why it delayed Watch Dogs on Wii U

WiiU Version delayed ...

July 67 14.32%

August 29 6.20%

September 44 9.40%

October 17 3.63%

November 24 5.13%

December 6 1.28%

2015 21 4.49%

2016 10 2.14%

2090 249 53.21%

Total:467

Yeah, it's a ridiculous decision and it'll probably just end up horrible on all systems now.

I get why they did it in a sense, but it's still a horrid move. Nintendo really should just abandon the Wii U now arguably, at the end of the next year. It's clear it's a strategy that hasn't worked, so they should just consult 3rd parties in order to understand where they went wrong, and try to regroup.

Alternatively, spend money to get these games on your system, market the Hell out of it and then try and tough it out for 3 years until the next system is ready, and hope people start to pick up the system. We shall see, but at this point 3rd parties won't support and why should they? 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
burninmylight said:
irstupid said:

AC games are always worth buying I find, but NEVER right away.  Just wait a few months or half a year and get it for $20-25.  I mean its not like there is a reason to get it right away like a FPS game for online reasons.  You will enjoy AC4 the day of release or 3 years later the same, unless your the few that play its online feature.  

I bought AC4 right away though just cause I'm a huge Pirate fan, otherwise I would have waited.  

Though like most Wii U games I was very hesitant buying the game and almost bought it for another system or waited due to one reason.  Companies seem to go out of their way to try and make it seem like the Wii U doesn't exist.  They never talk about it, don't mention if DLC, ect coming for it.  Whether their season pass things work for it, and so on.  Then even reviewers, you don't seem to ever see reviews or any mention of a hand's on, preview ect for the Wii U.  Sometimes they have a good excuse by saying "the developer never sent us a Wii U version" But then again that comes back to the company again.  Seriously how do you expect us consumers to buy your product when you give us zero confidence in it.

I took a risk and bought AC4 and luckily it was good, no glitches and ran smooth from what I could tell.  The gamepad wasn't anything revolutionary, but it was a handy map to glance down at and not have to push pause all the time to check the map on teh screen for the next collectable or whatever.  

But seriously its the same with this Watch Dogs game.  It seems no matter how hard we try whether twitter or asking questions ect we can never get any gameplay footage or see someone actually playing the Wii U version, or them to even talk about it.  The best we get is a logo of the Wii U when it shows what systems its coming out for.  

I'm done buying any game but Nintendo's first party at release date anyway these days though.  Their value doesn't stay up.  Why would I pay $60 for a game when I can buy it in a couple months for half that.  Nintendo's I buy whenever i feel like it cause their games seem to always stay at $60, the only game I've seen that has ever not been is Wonderful 101.  That's like most all 3rd party games at half price.  

The bolded segues nicely into my next point: when Wii U owners do the smart thing and wait a few months for third party titles to drop in price, they're chastised heavily for "not supporting the developer, not buying the games," when there are gamers on every console doing the exact same thing. Why would I pay $60 for a game that I can get in two months for half the price? I have a thousand games to play in between any way. And that's not not a Nintendo thing, that question applies to any console. Don't try to make me feel guilty for running to the store on launch day and paying full price for a game I'm not sure of, especially one that is treated like the bastard stepchild of the port family.

the thing is a lot are still sold at retail price on the other consoles. So dropping the price makes sense as everyone who would pay full price already has it.

Can't argue with that, but I will mention that third parties aren't competing with nearly as much first party software on other consoles.

Cobretti2 said:
oniyide said:
I wanted this to release day and date of the others, just so i could see what excuses Ninty fans would have came up with when the game would underperform and be the worst selling version.

Maybe they delayed it because they wanted to really utilize the touchpad? I hope they do at this point, hell they are going to HAVE to.

Oh and the whole userbase argument that Superchunk and others swear by is foolish and has always been foolish. Especially when the PS4 and xbone one versions of multiplats sold WAY better than the WIi U ones. If you think those are good sales then the PS4 one ones must be astronamical.

That is why i am disspointed. I wanted to see if other Wii U owners put their money where their muth is. Now they will jsut say delayed no pay.

EDIT: I will be more dissapointed if it gets cancelled cause I preordered the vigilante edition knowing that originally the game was comign to next gen then PS360. Now I can't even switch to the same version as they all sold out.

lets be real, it was going to sell bad on WIi U anyway. Now it will do worse

Rogerioandrade said:
another delay? Gezzz...

Ubisoft has been delaying a lot lately... Rayman Legends, Watch Dogs, the next Splinter Cell....

dont forget south park!

chapset said:
mii-gamer said:
chapset said:
superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

I get the feeling honestly Ubi Soft really doesn't want to make a Wii U version, but since they already commited to it, they don't want to look bad to Nintendo because they sell a good number of Just Dance games on the platform (at least the original Wii anyway).

I don't think they really give two craps about getting an extra 30,000 in sales from a Wii U version though. That's the last thing on their mind. 

I love when people do zero research.

Wii U userbase is currently about 5.5m.

Here are the 10 games Ubisoft has released.

ZombiU has sold to over 10% of the userbase. That is excellent.

The next four titles have sold to about 5%... also very good.

The rest are from games taht overall are not very big sellers anywhere beyond AC4:BF... but that lost sales on all consoles compared to its previous iteration. (12m to 7m) Largely because most consider it a declining title... its dying off.

WD had a lot of hype. Should sell well across all consoles and will likely be in the ZombiU range of 8-10% sell through on WiiU. Definitely well above the 30k that you think games sell at for some reason.... even if the lowest two Ubi games actually sold more than that so far.

Didn't you just say 5 posts ago that ''% is pointless. You can only consider the actual cost to port and what that port brought in.'' what made you change your stance? is it because those % fit better your point? And probably none of the games you listed made money for Ubisoft on the wii U

Ubisoft estimates that it cost 1.2 million to port over to the wii U. Some estimate that the games only need to sell 50k to break even. Anyhting around 100k they will be making a profit.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Lol that's why they lost money on zombie U when it was at 400k when they did the annoucement, they just put a random number, they never even specified which game they were talking about. DE you really think porting ass creed 3-4 cost the same as Just dance or rayman, please, that article as been quote time and time again and yet games keep getting canceled on the wii U. Even most wii games (non shovelwares)needed more than 100k to break even last gen by what magic does the more powerfull wii U now require less than that to be profitable?

He's saying that a PORT reportedly costs 1.2 million, zombi u is not a port.....

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
venepe said:
I can't blame Ubisoft for this one. They gave Wii U a fair chance (unlike EA). I blame Nintendo, because it's responsible to create a healthy install base for developers.

it isn't nintendo's responsibility to create the userbase for 3rd party genres because if they do who needs 3rd party games if you are satisfied with the 1st party ones?

Also how do you think Sony and Micrososft got their userbase? from 3rd party games mainly. They bend over backwards to get the 3rd party support. That is the issue here. Nintendo needs to provide a working environment that 3rd party will be happy with, plus moneyhat.

I believe IT IS Nintendo's responsibility to ensure a healthy userbase.  It is the hardware maker and distributor.  When launching a product, the manufacturer MUST properly market the product. Nintendo also happens to be a software developer, thus it must also asure a healthy userbase for its own software.  Nintendo met its resposibility with the Wii, DS, and 3DS.  It hasn't with Wii U.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

I haven't had any issue with WiiU ports -- regardless of how late they are. Most of the games end up being at comparable if not better quality than multi-plat counterpart.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

This will get cancelled. Bet on it.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:

Either that or Ubisoft will send it out to die with a $60 price tag launching 3 months after every other version. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Cheebee said:

Either that or Ubisoft will send it out to die with a $60 price tag launching 3 months after every other version. 

Ah, yes and don't forget that Wii U owners want none of that silly online stuff, so they'll cut that out, as a bonus.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046